PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Robert Kraft blasts Welker's agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, your psychic powers are apparently better than mine. You're delusional if you're predicting with certainty that this team will win another SB during the Brady window.

I certainly hope it happens, but at present the team is worse than it was last year. Belichick is going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to get the pass offense back to the level where it was last year.

Maybe he thinks Gronk's return is enough (if he can stay healthy). We know by now that BB's is actually the ultimate gambler--4th and 2, forgoing a FG attempt for 4th and 26, going for it from your own 20 in the AFCGC, etc. Hopefully BB has better "luck" from here on out.

I like your post but he diddnt say Brady Window granted that is all I care about right now. I will take a Brady SB win and 10 years of **** after so at least the GOAT QB thing is iron clad.

I digress....Anyway, Season dosent start for a while. Lets see what happens. If Aug 1 this is what we look like (which we wont) lets all panic together.

RG and AH could be huge and you know we dont need another high powered O to win. Its nice but it hasn't gotten it done come crunch time. we need more mismatches, unpredictability, and maybe just more depth since someone is getting injured.

BTW I have no problem with BB going for it in certain circumstances. Granted the results arent there but you cant blame the result. The 4th and 2 was the right call in that game.

I like the forget the field goal goal. It was long but they were in a position where a FG was going to be tough....

I dont know, again you gotta gamble particularly when you have the GOAT QB and number one O

I dont like that WW left but we just move on. What does whining do ? Mistake or not you just move on.

It is only an error after this season? So like a draft pick or a FA signing we just have to let it play out. Why? Because we have no other alternative.

Chastising management does nothing. And I am not in agreement nor approve of a lot of things. But I have no say in the FO.

And the real issue here is the FAIR WEATHER FANS on the board. Not the homers. Why fair weather?

Because posters are only acting like this because the seem to expect perfection every year...which is impossible. They would only expect that if they were following the team since it got really good more recently.

That is called fair weather.

The proof is in the pudding. If they had been following the team when it stunk...or even acknowledged that it did at one point, they would not be acting this way.

That's BS. I've been following the Pats since before Grogan and the fact is that the bar has been raised substantially--some might say ridiculously--but it is what it is. Best owner, best coach, best QB--all of whom were here when the Pats won 3 SBs in four years. Ridiculously close to winning another three after that. And you're shocked when people are freaked out by a move (like trading Seymour for instance) that could very well be the difference in winning a Lombardi?? Get over it.

Look, I love Welker as a player and hate the Broncos with the passion of a thousand burning suns, so this could not have been a worse result for me. I admit I'm biased, but 100% stand by my statement that the majority of writers, fans and people that know more than we do are of the opinion that was a mistake by the Patriots. We're fans and we have a right to biatch, even if it does nothing to change things. Or some people prefer being sheep-like and accept everything they do hook, line and sinker.

I can't believe how people react to Welker leaving. He was a system receiver! Kraft is right, he was NOT worth the 10M we offered him. I was shocked they went that high. I hope they are smarter than I am giving them credit for and juiced his offer as much as they could and get another team to overpay on Welker.

Amendola is taller, faster, has better hands, and will be phenomenal in the slot. Wes Welker is no Troy Brown, he's a choker, mental midget, and good riddance.

Well, to be fair as great as I thought Welker was and he was great (system be damned) this is all being fueled by three simple words.

Fair W.....Ooooops not those 3

Madden
Fantasy Football

Makes people obsess about stats.

Look, I love Welker as a player and hate the Broncos with the passion of a thousand burning suns, so this could not have been a worse result for me. I admit I'm biased, but 100% stand by my statement that the majority of writers, fans and people that know more than we do are of the opinion that was a mistake by the Patriots. We're fans and we have a right to biatch, even if it does nothing to change things. Or some people prefer being sheep-like and accept everything they do hook, line and sinker.

I like the Seymout trade. Could it have cost us? You dont know...how can you?

I would have no prob with WW getting a ring but I want so badly to never hear the word Manning again that I have to hope WW and his team fail miserably. Sorry...If WW went to the Jags I wouldn't care if they won.

Loosing a good player is a mistake of course but not until the following season plays out. I think its fair to say it was a mistake because they WANTED him back...but this soap opera is so hard to follow at this point I think its time to just move on.

Turning the situation in tabloid seems silly. It went bad for some reason. Oh well. we lost Ty Law, Curtis Martin, etc...

I hear the sheep thing and homer thing thrown out there. Gotta tell you, I dont see it. I think most of the guys here are level headed and appreciate what they have. I do. I know what its like to suck.

There is nothing wrong with not accepting what management does. But then show them by not spending money.

Give you an example. Big Bruins Fan. In 2005 the B's were just becoming soft. No toughness...nada. They get rid of PJ stock who was the most entertaining part of the team. Then it happens. They Trade Thornton.

I was done. I diddnt follow the team for years. I disapproved. But at least I showed my disapproval. But then I started following them after a year or two. They won me back. And then Won a cup. I guess I was wrong, they were right.

And by the way you want to talk about Cheap owners. Do these guys realize that Jeremy Jacobs wrote the book on cheap. He took Ray Bourque to arbitration for christ sakes. Ray Bourque!!!!

Was there a point to this story?

After Pats signed Wilson I didn't think they'd go after Reed anyways. They just paid 5m for Talib, 4/16 for Arrington, and goodness knows what for Wilson. Probably done for now in free agency as far as high priced secondary goes.

If what Kraft says is true then it's the agent's mismanagement of the situation that led to Welker leaving New England. If Welker would be getting 8m through the first year of the deal, I'd say that's more lucrative than the Denver deal, especially after you add in the escalator clauses on top of that.

Also noted in the tweets is that Welker's agent is David Dunn - and Dunn was recently hired by Ed Reed. Reporters are putting the two together and conjecturing that means that the chances of reed coming to New England are now very slim.

Reed may or may not come to Foxboro, but Reed doesn't come across as the type of person that is so pliable that another person would be able to tell him where he could or could not play. The agent works for the player, not the other way around.

By that logic Jake Bequette, Alfonzo Dennard, Zoltan Mesko and Shane Vereen are all going to hold out and demand a trade, and the extension given to Aaron Hernandez never happened; after all, each of these players are also represented by Dunn and Athletes First.

The Welker/Pats negotiations were clearly a joint failure; both sides would have been happier with a different outcome.

Kraft is making two accusations:

1. Most of the blame goes to the agent who misestimated Welker's market value.

2. Welker's agent is lying now about what happened.

If the Patriots had been VERY sure their market estimate was correct, they could have waited for Welker to find out they were right. Kraft is glossing over that part. He also is restating the Pats' negotiating claims as to why their offer was so great. But even so I mainly buy Kraft's pitch.

After Pats signed Wilson I didn't think they'd go after Reed anyways. They just paid 5m for Talib, 4/16 for Arrington, and goodness knows what for Wilson. Probably done for now in free agency as far as high priced secondary goes.

If what Kraft says is true then it's the agent's mismanagement of the situation that led to Welker leaving New England. If Welker would be getting 8m through the first year of the deal, I'd say that's more lucrative than the Denver deal, especially after you add in the escalator clauses on top of that.
Per a league source, Adrian Wilson signed a 3-year deal with the Patriots worth $5m. He got a $1m signing bonus. Has a $1m base in '13.

Wonder if there will be problems when Solder, Dennard, Vereen and Mesko come up.

The Welker/Pats negotiations were clearly a joint failure; both sides would have been happier with a different outcome.

Kraft is making two accusations:

1. Most of the blame goes to the agent who misestimated Welker's market value.

2. Welker's agent is lying now about what happened.

If the Patriots had been VERY sure their market estimate was correct, they could have waited for Welker to find out they were right. Kraft is glossing over that part. He also is restating the Pats' negotiating claims as to why their offer was so great. But even so I mainly buy Kraft's pitch.

He didn't gloss over it he stated that they couldn't be left out naked and have lost out on both. If they wait for Welker they have no guarantee that 1) Welker would sign with them or even let them match or beat the offer. 2) That Amendola would wait.

He didn't gloss over it he stated that they couldn't be left out naked and have lost out on both. If they wait for Welker they have no guarantee that 1) Welker would sign with them or even let them match or beat the offer. 2) That Amendola would wait.

Imagine if WW got a huge deal from some team. I thought he was gonna get some team to pony up 27 for 3 with ease.

Then DA is gone WW goes for the bucks..

This board would have melted down and crashed the internet. LOL

“But in the end, in my early years, I used to emotionally react to having players stay with the team, and sometimes we went beyond our financial disciplines. Then the fall came and we played football, and we didn’t win all the games we wanted, and I can just tell you that feeling is horrible. I’m going to do everything I can, always, to avoid that.

This is absolutely true. If you want to get mad with the fiscal discipline that allows us to have the best record in football for decades get mad at Belichick.

I've heard wes had a two year 16 mil offer from the Pats and chose to take the 9.5 mil franchise then test the free agent market.

The 3 year 24 mil fantasy was still on the table, so when wes went for the disappointing Denver offer, the pats were competing for his replacement.

Lmao, the welker haters have started every one of these threads trashing him and they have the nerve to complain about those who support him "whining."

The patriots screwed up and now they are lying about it, end of story. They wouldn't give him Ocho money and claim they wanted him for life but wouldn't give more than 2 years. The sycpohants in this forum can buy that crap but it ios obviously total bullsh.t.

My point was the minor screw-up of not being surer than they were, given that they were correct. It's a little like not drafting Brady prior to Round 6; technically, that shows they mis-appraised him. :)

Of course, most people thought Welker's market value was in the range his agent did, or higher. So to say the Pats were right but not certain they were right is a very small criticism indeed.

You clearly did not understand his point about making 8 million year one vs 6 million year one. Denver, who didn't have a ton of cap space coming into this FA pushed 8 million of the 12 million hit to year two of the cap. So welker counts for 4 million cap this year and then next an 8 million dollar cap hit that is not guaranteed, so in essence it is a one year deal worth 6 million with a team option for second year at 6 million. So yeah he should care how much he received in year one vs year two given how his contract is constructed. Lets say he gets hurt next year early on and the Broncos offense finishes in the top 3 and they have a deep playoff run....do you think he sees that other 6 million? Doubtfull, he is taking a risk.

Before you spout off and roll your eyes and state that there is a lot of kool aid drinking going on, maybe you should understand the entire situaton.

Right because Denver is going to cut Welker after he gets 1000+ yards and 100+ receptions because they don't want to pay him 6 million year 2.

Maybe you should realize this was a butchered negotiation and Kraft is saving face.

This is absolutely true. If you want to get mad with the fiscal discipline that allows us to have rthe best record in football for deceased, get mad at Belichick.

I've heard wes had a two year 16 mil offer from the Pats and chose to take the 9.5 mil franchise then test the free agent market.

The 3 year 24 mil fantasy was still on the table, so when wes went for the disappointing Denver offer, the pats were competing for his replacement.

let's not jinx anybody

Lmao, the welker haters have started every one of these threads trashing him and they have the nerve to complain about those who support him "whining."

The patriots screwed up and now they are lying about it, end of story. They wouldn't give him Ocho money and claim they wanted him for life but wouldn't give more than 2 years. The sycpohants in this forum can buy that crap but it ios obviously total bullsh.t.

Get help..

I may be nuts but no Welker may help Brady become more hard to read, especially on 3rd down.

Right because Denver is going to cut Welker after he gets 1000+ yards and 100+ receptions because they don't want to pay him 6 million year 2.

Maybe you should realize this was a butchered negotiation and Kraft is saving face.

You still don't get it....he will cost them 6 million in cash year two, but would count 8 million against the cap. Year two cap savings by cutting Welker before his 3 million roster bonus is due is 6 million (2 million in dead money). Hence there is no guarantee he sees year two at that number. Instead of taking more money up front from NE he is taking a risk that he doesn't get hurt or hit the proverbial wall.

Regardless how you feel about it Kraft is right: 8 million cash guaranteed in year one from NE and 6 million cash guaranteed year one from Denver.

He had 100+ and 1000+ this year and Denver didn't give him 8 million of their cap space.....and from what I have read they are projected to have less next year.

well, if the whole organization wants welker, as kraft says, he can just sign back with the pats if denver cuts him

When he talks, we have *****ing(he should've kept quite)... When he kept his mouth shut we had *****ing(he should've talked/fight the allegations) ... i guess it's lose/lose type of deal with you people.:mad:

The agent took it to the Pats (http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/18/4119424/wes-welker-agent-patriots-didnt-want); Kraft felt offended (lie or not) and had his side of the story. I have no problem with the way he acted/reacted; calling him cheap is just unfair.

Kraft might be a lot of things, but one of them isnt being cheap.

He could have charged PSLs and raked in a fortune, but didnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes