PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Robert Kraft blasts Welker's agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
By most accounts, I'm hearing we have approximately 12 mill left in precious cap space. We have no RT and need another 1-2 wr's, 1-2 db's, a DE and could use another DT. Coupled with our sketchy draft record and not many picks this year, yeah I'm just a tad bit concerned.

You are a tad over-concerned. If we get everything you ask for, we'll be 19-0.
If we get 2-3 of those things (a DT, a WR, a CB) we should be set up to dominate

Interesting point Kraft highlighted:

The Welker deal apparently is like this, in cap terms:

2013: $4mm
2014: $8mm

So he's an amazingly affordable $4mm this year - coming off his $9.5mm deal last year. That's tremendous value for Denver. They get better incredibly cheap.

However, the second year his cap charge doubles to a relatively expensive $8mm, when the cap is supposed to be flat. Still have an expensive Manning, and not sure they want to extend that deal too many more years. Other young players start hitting free agency, such as LT Ryan Clady. Do you want to re-sign Miller or Demaryius Thomas? According to overthecap, they are at $108mm without Clady.

I think that's Kraft's point - the economics point to a lot of risk, once again, for Wes Welker given the dynamics of the deal he signed. Denver would save $6mm against the cap by releasing Welker.

Of course he would be free to sign again, but would still be a slot receiver who has taken yet another 100 hits.

So much kool aid being drunk in this thread.

To the guy asking what cheapness is: see this thread and his comments.

Over the market what the hell does that mean? You offered 1 million less than "the market" actually 2.5 if you count the Tennessee offer.

8 million in the first year? Ya maybe with a 5 million dollar signing bonus and a 3 million dollar salary. I'm sure Wes cares how much he's paid in year 1 vs year 2 of a 2 year deal :rolleyes: totally makes the Broncos offer of 2 million more easy to turn down.

Lol at building the defense the only addition is Adrian Wilson (who I like) and possibly an old geezer that hasn't had a sack against a good O-line in 2 years. Hilarious how they'll probably pay him as much as Michael Bennett would cost on the same number of years :bricks:

Re: Patriots wanted Welker over Amendola???

It was sad, unfortunate and TOTALLY unnecessary, but how can you blame the Pats?

I am not so fast to absolve the team of any responsibility for the outcome of this negotiation. The Pats did not get the player they wanted and who also wanted them. As a result, the product they put on the field in Sept will not be as good as it would have been with Welker. So it is more than sad; it was a negotiation failure. If I were Kraft, I would think long and hard about whether there was anything I could have done differently to get the outcome I wanted?

None of us were there, so we will never know, but I have said elsewhere there are some pretty obvious possibilities. When the Patriots provided their last offer (perhaps not on paper so the agent can say it was not really an "offer"), it sure looks like Belichick knew he was not going to let the situation get to free agency where he would be in a much weaker position potentially competing with teams like Tennessee who could (and did) put together a better deal. But the fact that Welker called the Pats on Wed indicates that Belichick never told Welker that if they had not reached an agreement by Tuesday, that he would have to consider other options. We will never know if Welker would have taken the offer on Tuesday if he knew it could be gone on Wed. It certainly seems at least possible, however, that by not telling Welker that the team's offer had an expiration date, Belichick may have cost the team the player they wanted. Since we don't really know how it went down, we cannot say that either side is entirely blameless.

But Welker was never gonna sign for a $12 million dollar contract. Because if he was he would have taken the offer the Pats gave him last year.

Not necessarily true. The FA market was much better for the players last year than this year. Just look at the contracts being given out and for the most part, they are less than what people would have guessed. Welker's agent badly read the free agent market and his client loses.

Over the market what the hell does that mean? You offered 1 million less than "the market" actually 2.5 if you count the Tennessee offer.

8 million in the first year? Ya maybe with a 5 million dollar signing bonus and a 3 million dollar salary. I'm sure Wes cares how much he's paid in year 1 vs year 2 of a 2 year deal :rolleyes: totally makes the Broncos offer of 2 million more easy to turn down.

You clearly did not understand his point about making 8 million year one vs 6 million year one. Denver, who didn't have a ton of cap space coming into this FA pushed 8 million of the 12 million hit to year two of the cap. So welker counts for 4 million cap this year and then next an 8 million dollar cap hit that is not guaranteed, so in essence it is a one year deal worth 6 million with a team option for second year at 6 million. So yeah he should care how much he received in year one vs year two given how his contract is constructed. Lets say he gets hurt next year early on and the Broncos offense finishes in the top 3 and they have a deep playoff run....do you think he sees that other 6 million? Doubtfull, he is taking a risk.

Before you spout off and roll your eyes and state that there is a lot of kool aid drinking going on, maybe you should understand the entire situaton.

They were pissed off he took the franchise money and wouldn't accept their lowball deal so they pushed him out the door.

Because 2yr/$10mil + incentives with $8mil guaranteed is such an incredibly lowball offer compared to $2yr/$12 mil with $6mil guaranteed. Riiiiiiight.

Say, has anyone ever seen Ivan and that Dunn guy in the same place at the same time?

the arrogance continues.
Why is robert kraft opining that wes welker might be cut after year 1 in denver?? Why is kraft commenting on welker's deal with denver??
Bob kraft says he doesn't answer to tom brady???
Psssst, hey bobby you ain't no model franchise without #12.
God i wish tom brady had gisele's balls and mouth. Someone needs to put kraft in his place.
Gisele would in 1.2 seconds.

The Owner is the most important piece of the franchise. If you have a good or great owner the franchise is usually successful, if the ownership is lousy the franchise is too just ask the jests or oakland or dallas etc. QB's and coaches come and go but if a team has a good owner that makes good decisions the team will continue to be good.

rhody, Ivan, and brady2moss - you guys have been completely pummeled in this thread and I am embarrassed for you.

Lol at building the defense the only addition is Adrian Wilson (who I like) and possibly an old geezer that hasn't had a sack against a good O-line in 2 years. Hilarious how they'll probably pay him as much as Michael Bennett would cost on the same number of years :bricks:

Just a small history lesson for those who like to throw around the word cheap in reference to today's Pats. Apparently you were never around when the Pats were owned and operated by Billy Sullivan and his idiot sons in Schaeffer Stadium. In those days they couldn't afford to keep their best players( Nick Buoiniconti or Michael Haynes) and had basically a bunch of scrubs with a few quality players.
Kraft was the man who brought first rate management and coaching to the team and believe it or not saved the franchise from moving to St. Louis.
Somehow the Pats won 3 superbowls before WW arrived and zero while he played for us. I guess we can lose superbowls without his drops just as easily.
Feel free to jump off the Pats bandwagon anytime. We who have followed the team for 50 years sure won't miss you.

Rob is right to say that we'll never know exactly how this all went down, who's telling the truth, etc.

However, I place most of the blame for this fiasco on the Pats because I think in the end, they are the biggest losers here. Sure, Welker and his agent could have accepted the 3/$24M or 2/$18M (mostly non-guaranteed) or whatever it was that the Pats supposedly offered at various times. And both might be richer men in the end if they had. Big whoop. Cry me a river for the agent, and too bad for Welker--they did their share of screwing this up.

Simple fact is that the Pats let one of their integral players go to probably our biggest conference rival for chump change. There is no way to paint this result in a light that is favorable to the Pats. None. That's why were seeing these incredibly out-of-character statements being made by Robert Kraft.

Brady has to be livid, there is probably some internal strife within the
FO/coaching staff over this, and everyone in the football world except for the most ardent homers on this board--fans, writers, (and I'm pretty sure most players, coaches, FO personell, etc.) think that letting Welker go was a colossal error by the Pats. Bottom line is this is nothing more than damage control by Kraft. End of story.

Rob is right to say that we'll never know exactly how this all went down, who's telling the truth, etc.

However, I place most of the blame for this fiasco on the Pats because I think in the end, they are the biggest losers here. Sure, Welker and his agent could have accepted the 3/$24M or 2/$18M (mostly non-guaranteed) or whatever it was that the Pats supposedly offered at various times. And both might be richer men in the end if they had. Big whoop. Cry me a river for the agent, and too bad for Welker--they did their share of screwing this up.

Simple fact is that the Pats let one of their integral players go to probably our biggest conference rival for chump change. There is no way to paint this result in a light that is favorable to the Pats. None. That's why were seeing these incredibly out-of-character statements being made by Robert Kraft.

FO/coaching staff over this, and everyone in the football world except for the most ardent homers on this board--fans, writers, (and I'm pretty sure most players, coaches, FO personell, etc.) think that letting Welker go was a colossal error by the Pats. Bottom line is this is nothing more than damage control by Kraft. End of story.
It's Kraft's team. He's entitled to make whatever comments and have it run in the manner he sees fit.

You mean that WW was the reason we won the Superbowl last year and the AFC Championship this year due to his clutch catches.LOL Somehow we won three Superbowls without the worlds greatest slot receiver and we will without him. By the way I admire your psychic powers to know what everyone thinks.

I dont like that WW left but we just move on. What does whining do ? Mistake or not you just move on.

It is only an error after this season? So like a draft pick or a FA signing we just have to let it play out. Why? Because we have no other alternative.

Chastising management does nothing. And I am not in agreement nor approve of a lot of things. But I have no say in the FO.

And the real issue here is the FAIR WEATHER FANS on the board. Not the homers. Why fair weather?

Because posters are only acting like this because the seem to expect perfection every year...which is impossible. They would only expect that if they were following the team since it got really good more recently.

That is called fair weather.

The proof is in the pudding. If they had been following the team when it stunk...or even acknowledged that it did at one point, they would not be acting this way.

You mean that WW was the reason we won the Superbowl last year and the AFC Championship this year due to his clutch catches.LOL Somehow we won three Superbowls without the worlds greatest slot receiver and we will without him. By the way I admire your psychic powers to know what everyone thinks.

The FO puts the worlds greatest slot receiver in the position to win the superbowl and he cant make the play and the fans are mad at management.

Same with Samuel

Spoiled whiny bratty stupid fair weather fans

Lol, your psychic powers are apparently better than mine. You're delusional if you're predicting with certainty that this team will win another SB during the Brady window.

I certainly hope it happens, but at present the team is worse than it was last year. Belichick is going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to get the pass offense back to the level where it was last year.

Maybe he thinks Gronk's return is enough (if he can stay healthy). We know by now that BB's is actually the ultimate gambler--4th and 2, forgoing a FG attempt for 4th and 26, going for it from your own 20 in the AFCGC, etc. Hopefully BB has better "luck" from here on out.

I can't believe how people react to Welker leaving. He was a system receiver! Kraft is right, he was NOT worth the 10M we offered him. I was shocked they went that high. I hope they are smarter than I am giving them credit for and juiced his offer as much as they could and get another team to overpay on Welker.

Amendola is taller, faster, has better hands, and will be phenomenal in the slot. Wes Welker is no Troy Brown, he's a choker, mental midget, and good riddance.

Someone needs to round up all Welker's bleeding hearts and start a thread with all these quotes. I think it will be really funny to throw all this back in people's face come September.

Can start with this JMARR character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore