PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RFA Emmanuel Sanders visits Pats 3/16; signs offer sheet 4/10, sheet matched 4/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard a report that the Steelers will retain him. I don't understand the upside for the Pats in making an offer to a guy that they are not likely to acquire. Is it to look like they're doing something, or just thinking it's a player worth a 3rd on the slim chance the Steelers value the pick more.

Heard a report that the Steelers will retain him. I don't understand the upside for the Pats in making an offer to a guy that they are not likely to acquire. Is it to look like they're doing something, or just thinking it's a player worth a 3rd on the slim chance the Steelers value the pick more.

As Mike Reiss put it, the Patriots are giving the Steelers something to think about. They could match this offer and get one year out of him...sure...but they won't be able to pay him next year and he'll likely walk for nothing.

So basically the Pats are being smart and saying to them you may as well take this third round pick, in a draft where WRs are in huge abundance, than just get a year out of someone and nothing after.

It's a smart move. The Pats could have priced him way out of their range but didn't...they shouldn't over pay for a guy who hasn't proven a huge amount. If we get him, we get a year to see what eh can do and the damage will be somewhat limited if he doesn't pan out. I say somewhat as losing the third for nothing will be a big loss.

It's a good move by the Pats - at least for this year.

The only reason the Steelers might not match is that with this 1-year deal, Sanders becomes a UFA next year and can't be controlled at all. He'll go to the highest bidder.

Long-term it likely makes more sense for the Steelers to just take the 3rd and have a decent, controllable players for 4+ years. But it would hurt them this year. Then again, it's debateable how good the Steelers really are at the moment. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

What report was that?

The Steelers don't have a ton of cap, but they do have a decent number of picks. They'll almost certainly get a 3rd round comp next year as well for Wallace.

So they could afford to keep Sanders for a year then use a 3rd or 4th round pick to select his replacement either this year or next.

What report was that?

have no idea what report he is talking about as there is nothing that i have seen out there even remotely mentioning this

LOL at this moron Jason Cole, I finally opened the article just to read the comments. You know you're a fail when you bash BB and can't even get support from a nation full of BB haters. Everyone is saying how stupid the article is and nothing is wrong with what the Patriots did.

What report was that?

Just an article from profootballtalk reiterating what ed werders opinion - it was not based to anything from the steelers organization.

He "expects" them. it's his opinion...really not facts to it at all

I am in class currently (computer applications) and in my last class I was talking to a Steelers fan about Sanders. He said he hopes that the Steelers match. He doesn't want to lose Sanders and that he is a great receiver. He also said that the Patriots will be a scary offense with Sanders and the group we have now. Just a little tid bit from what a steelers fan told me.

Thursday, April 11th
As usual, we’ll concentrate on Sanders as a player and his potential impact on the field. In my most recent podcast reviewing team needs I highlighted the Patriots’ No. 1 issue as wide receiver. When the team goes into the year with Vikings cast off Michael Jenkins and oft-injured slot man Danny Amendola as likely starters you start to have visions of three tight end sets becoming the norm. So, from a need standpoint trying to get a WR makes sense, but is Sanders worth a third-rounder (assuming that a long-term deal is already in a sealed envelope), and does his ability complement New England’s existing talent?

The first thing to note is that of players running more than 200 routes Amendola was in the Top 10, with 80% run from the slot — Sanders was Top 20 with 67% (65% in 2011). So have they just ended up with two slot guys, and is that what they want?

Secondly, for someone who played 740 snaps, the majority of which were with a top flight QB, he didn’t really ‘wow’ anyone. He played perfectly well, grading +1.1 as a receiver, but if you are going to throw a third-round pick at your problem perhaps you want more than a receiver who had three times as many picks as touchdowns thrown his way, and nearly as many drops (3) as forced missed tackles (5).

I’m not totally down on the ploy because I do see potential in Sanders (I even highlighted him as a potential breakout player for 2012), but unfortunately my abiding memory of him in 2012 was the catch he dropped when wide open in the middle of the field against the Redskins.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/04/11/neils-nfl-daily-april-11-2013/

Someone help me out what day and time do the Steelers have to match? (don't feel like sifting through 90 pages)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3