PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Ryan...just "imagine" for a second... him as the DC for the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Rex Ryan...just "imagine" for a second... him as the DC for the Pats

I don't want to turn this into a Marv Lewis thread, so this will be the last time I respond to you about the subject. Earlier you accused me of ignorance. Fine. Now you're accusing me of bias. Ok. All I'll say is that I encourage you to read. Read the stats others have posted regarding Lewis' record. Search "Mike Brown", read some articles. Read about why the Patriots were able to acquire Corey Dillon. Read about what Carson Palmer did to leave. Read about why other coaches lost their jobs. After doing all that, if you still conclude Lewis has retained his employment because of performance, then best of luck to you in life, because you'll definitely need it.

Please don't worry about me and my life or any fortune that I may need. Im doing quite fine. Just focus on fishing your community college education so you can be an editor on bleacherreport.com some day.

Anyway, Ray Lewis himself said it best one time. Something to the tune of "there's been lots of coaches having success and coming and going. But the whole time there's only been one Ray Lewis."

Why? The Jets defense is worse than the Patriots, and has been for most of his time there. Ryan is severely overated. They are 24th in points allowed and where 20th last year. Not even average.

This is being a homer, sorry but when considering the TO machine that struggles to score 20, compared to our efficient offense its not even close. With Sanchez our D would struggle badly, Brady has been carrying them for years.

Please don't worry about me and my life or any fortune that I may need. Im doing quite fine. Just focus on fishing your community college education so you can be an editor on bleacherreport.com some day.

You're not doing quite fine in the context of this exchange, which is underscored by your need to get personal. Marvin Lewis is lucky to still have a job, mostly because the Bungles are who they are. He's had opportunities, too, and still couldn't ever manage to sustain anything other than mediocrity. As for any list of those who have performed better...really.

List of current National Football League head coaches - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not difficult to find at least a dozen qualified candidates off this list.

You're a champion at arguing. You've changed my mind.

Not.

Show me a list of active coaches you think are better than Marvin Lewis. I can't wait to laugh.

Lets do it the other way, its easier. Which ones have enough track record to judge that are worse than Lewis.
Here are the possibilities some of which are very arguable.
Gailey
Turner
Crennell

Yeah, thats about it.

This is being a homer, sorry but when considering the TO machine that struggles to score 20, compared to our efficient offense its not even close. With Sanchez our D would struggle badly, Brady has been carrying them for years.

Let me understand this. Dealing with facts is homerism and overlooking the facts with excuses is objective? :rolleyes:

Is it Sanchez's fault that the Jets are 30th vs the run? That they have a whopping 16 sacks?
See, a good defense defends people it doesn't let them score them blame it on the offense.

Let me understand this. Dealing with facts is homerism and overlooking the facts with excuses is objective? :rolleyes:

Is it Sanchez's fault that the Jets are 30th vs the run? That they have a whopping 16 sacks?
See, a good defense defends people it doesn't let them score them blame it on the offense.

Excuses? Even with Sanchez they have a better D, anyone with a brain can see its only better with Brady. Our D is horrible, no clue what you see other than denial.

I bet Luck does better against us, just like Fitz and everyone else in the league. We barely punt and still can't stop a bum from putting 30 on us, I would take Rex's D easily.

Last edited:

Excuses? Even with Sanchez they have a better D, anyone with a brain can see its only better with Brady. Our D is horrible, no clue what you see other than denial.

I bet Luck does better against us, just like Fitz and everyone else in the league. We barely punt and still can't stop a bum from putting 30 on us, I would take Rex's D easily.

Great, you have decided that you want a defense that allows more points. Proud of you.

Lets do it the other way, its easier. Which ones have enough track record to judge that are worse than Lewis.
Here are the possibilities some of which are very arguable.
Gailey
Turner
Crennell

Yeah, thats about it.

How about Shurmur, Schwartz, Garrett, Mularkey, Kubiak, Frazier, and Munchak as well? Lewis is easily in the top half of the league.

Arguing with you is pointless. You're stubborn and have too much time on your hands.

Great, you have decided that you want a defense that allows more points. Proud of you.

It's all relative. Our offense keeps a lot of points off the opponents board by way of field position. If our offense stalled as much as the Jets offense does and teams were only having to drive 40 to 60 yards we would surrender a lot more points. It's complimentary football kid.

How about Shurmur, Schwartz, Garrett, Mularkey, Kubiak, Frazier, and Munchak as well? Lewis is easily in the top half of the league...

Taking away all coaches where it's too soon to tell (Schiano, Philbin, Munchak, Frazier, etc...), not using any coach where it's close and not using Payton as the Saints coach,

Belichick
Ryan
Harbaugh
Tomlin
Kubiak
Fox
Reid
Coughlin
Shanahan
McCarthy
Smith
Harbaugh

definitely puts Lewis in the bottom half of the coaching list.

How about Shurmur, Schwartz, Garrett, Mularkey, Kubiak, Frazier, and Munchak as well? Lewis is easily in the top half of the league.

Arguing with you is pointless. You're stubborn and have too much time on your hands.

I said I was done, but I can't stop myself:

Coaches with better long-term success (16):

Belichick
Coughlin
Tomlin
McCarthy
Payton (even though he's suspended)
Kubiak
Jim Harbaugh
John Harbaugh
Mike Smith
Lovie Smith
Shanahan
Fox
Wisenhunt
Rex Ryan
Andy Reid
Jeff Fisher

Too early to tell (11):
Ron Rivera
Pat Shurmur
Jason Garrett
Chuck Pagano
Romeo Crennell
Joe Philbin
Leslie Frazier
Dennis Allen
Greg Schiano
Mike Munchak
Mike Mularkey

Worse (3):
Chan Gailey
Jim Schwartz
Norv Turner

Out of the 20 active head coaches that have a sufficient body of work as an NFL head coach to judge their effectiveness, I'd rank Lewis 17th best. That's based upon a combination of their regular season record and playoff performances.

Gary Kubiak has better long term success than Marvin Lewis? Uhhh short memory you have there sir.

Mularkey was a HC before. We know what he is.

Its not too early to tell on Frazier. He's in his 3rd season.

Deus Irae, you listed 12 coaches. Which would put Lewis at 13-16. Based on the intensive calculation of 32 / 2 = 16 that would put Lewis in the top half of the league.

Thank you for proving my point.

It's not too early to tell on Crennel either based on his stint with the Browns.

Gary Kubiak has better long term success than Marvin Lewis? Uhhh short memory you have there sir.

Mularkey was a HC before. We know what he is.

Its not too early to tell on Frazier. He's in his 3rd season.

Deus Irae, you listed 12 coaches. Which would put Lewis at 13-16. Based on the intensive calculation of 32 / 2 = 16 that would put Lewis in the top half of the league.

Thank you for proving my point.

It's not too early to tell on Crennel either based on his stint with the Browns.

I'll take a .490 winning percentage over a .486 winning percentage; and I'll take the current Texans team over the current Bengals team. Don't forget the Bengals haven't won a playoff game with Lewis, and lost one to Kubiak's Texans.

You can debate a few coaches here and there, but there's no way you're gonna get Lewis into the better half of the league's current coaches with a sufficient body of work as a head coach to judge. I'd venture to say most would put him into the bottom quartile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes