PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Return of the F-Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE39

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
When Belichick,Weis was with the Jets they rarely went to 4 WR (They used Keyshawn Johnson and Wayne Chrebet as starters, with Dedrick Ward being used as a 3rd WR), instead they used Richie Anderson alot in an H-Back type role (they called it their F-Back) in passing situations.

When they came to the Pats they began to use more spread formations, and WR became more of a focal point of the offense. They spread teams out and threw a lot of screens, and they didn't really have an H-Back type player of Anderson's versatility.

After this draft, with Thomas and Mills joining the team, I think the Pats are going to use multiple WR sets less frequently, which is why depth there isn't the same concern it was. I believe they are going to utilize the H-Back more frequently, with versatile guys like Watson, Pass, Thomas and Mills lining up in different positions and using pre-snap motion to create matchups in both the running and passing game.

It is what the Jets did very successfully under Weis, and I think the Pats return to that after throwing the ball too much last year. Because of that, I can see them only carrying 3 true RB (Dillon/Faulk/Maroney) and 4 or 5 WR, while carrying 4 or 5 guys who are TE/H-Back players (Graham/Watson/Thomas/Pass/Mills). That means there will be bigger guys on the field, but since they can catch the ball it gives them more options.

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with your analysis. I'll bet we carry 5 WR, as opposed to 6 last year.

See my avatar shows Gramatica ripping adams head off....and my sig questions adams you know personal choices

FWIW, Lavin in "Management Secrets" basically says that one reason the Pats drafted Watson was because they had noticed a significant drop-off in Graham's performance when they tried to move him from the Y position, which is more of a standard TE slot, to H*, which involes more FB-like responsibilities, more pre-snap movement, after his rookie year. Watson was drafted to play the H position, and Graham could return to the Y, where he doesn't need to think as much and would hopefully be more decisive.

It's no surprise that they took Watson, who blows away the average football player in intelligence, and now have taken another TE who is very smaht. Thomas graduated from Texas in just 3-1/2 years.

*The book initially calls it the "F" position, but later in the paragraph seems to refer to it as the "H". I think the initial reference is an error. See page 100.

NE39 said:
When Belichick,Weis was with the Jets they rarely went to 4 WR (They used Keyshawn Johnson and Wayne Chrebet as starters, with Dedrick Ward being used as a 3rd WR), instead they used Richie Anderson alot in an H-Back type role (they called it their F-Back) in passing situations.

When they came to the Pats they began to use more spread formations, and WR became more of a focal point of the offense. They spread teams out and threw a lot of screens, and they didn't really have an H-Back type player of Anderson's versatility.

After this draft, with Thomas and Mills joining the team, I think the Pats are going to use multiple WR sets less frequently, which is why depth there isn't the same concern it was. I believe they are going to utilize the H-Back more frequently, with versatile guys like Watson, Pass, Thomas and Mills lining up in different positions and using pre-snap motion to create matchups in both the running and passing game.

It is what the Jets did very successfully under Weis, and I think the Pats return to that after throwing the ball too much last year. Because of that, I can see them only carrying 3 true RB (Dillon/Faulk/Maroney) and 4 or 5 WR, while carrying 4 or 5 guys who are TE/H-Back players (Graham/Watson/Thomas/Pass/Mills). That means there will be bigger guys on the field, but since they can catch the ball it gives them more options.

Spot-on analysis. I felt there were two of those in the draft, Mills and Sheffler. Mills, at worst, will be a younger Paddy Pass. At best, he'll be a Keith Byars type addition to the offense.

I'm fine with the H Back thing and Mills being Keith Byars - we shouldn't need Pass' running ability now with Maroney, Dillon and Faulk. Just don't call it a Full Back, I hate the dinoauar pure fullback with a passion. I wonder if Mills can run at all from scrimmage.

BradyBirdYazOrr said:
See my avatar shows Gramatica ripping adams head off....and my sig questions adams you know personal choices

What the heck are you talking about? This is a FB thread.

BelichickFan said:
I'm fine with the H Back thing and Mills being Keith Byars - we shouldn't need Pass' running ability now with Maroney, Dillon and Faulk. Just don't call it a Full Back, I hate the dinoauar pure fullback with a passion. I wonder if Mills can run at all from scrimmage.

He can. He was actually Tulsa's regular RB. The H-back/TE thing is an NFL projection.

Digger44 said:
Come on, get with the program. A little clicky-click here and this board becomes much more enjoyable. You know you want to. Everybody's doing it. :D

dryheat44 said:
He can. He was actually Tulsa's regular RB. The H-back/TE thing is an NFL projection.
OK, I took a quick look in ProFW's stats and didn't see carries but I may have looked way too quickly. I've always liked Pass but after that hamstring fumble it is tough to trust him again (I know, I don't know what it's like but every NFL player I heard asked about it said they can't imagine just dropping the ball in that situation).

BelichickFan said:
OK, I took a quick look in ProFW's stats and didn't see carries but I may have looked way too quickly. I've always liked Pass but after that hamstring fumble it is tough to trust him again (I know, I don't know what it's like but every NFL player I heard asked about it said they can't imagine just dropping the ball in that situation).

No, I may have been mistaken. I'm seeing conflicting information.

This thread is right on. They will create serious matchup issues. get 3 of these TE/FB types on the field at once and defenses will scratch their heads.
I love it. Our personell packages will be very tough for oponnents to decipher.
bring guys in at H-back, slide them out to the slot pre-snap etc. You get the idea. I think they've been goin in this direction for a while, but now they would appear to have more of the tools in place to pull it off.
I can't wait.

Digger44 said:
<sigh> I wish people wouldn't quote bradybirdyazorr. He is on my ignore list so I don't have to see the stupid stuff he posts.

This is a very interesting analysis. And don't forget that BB tried to sign Anderson at one point, but he went to the Cowboys.

NE39 said:

Digger44 said:

It really does work very well. All you see is a little strip when he posts and it reminds you that he is now "dead to you'.

dryheat44 said:

No he never ran the ball. He did line up in the backfield some, but he blocked or would go out for a pass. He was our main TE and set the college record for TE this last year. Hell of a special teamer and was our backup deep snapper.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Come on, get with the program. A little clicky-click here and this board becomes much more enjoyable. You know you want to. Everybody's doing it. :D

Great feature!

JMCTULSA said:
No he never ran the ball. He did line up in the backfield some, but he blocked or would go out for a pass. He was our main TE and set the college record for TE this last year. Hell of a special teamer and was our backup deep snapper.

"Special teamer", "deep snapper" -- I'm liking what I'm hearing. What was his role on special teams?

I see this just a little differently. It seems to me that BB has been eager to free up his TE's for pass-catching duty. A good blocking fullback--who can also catch passes--will do this very well, and relieve Dillon and Faulk, and their oft-injured bodies, of some of their blocking duties.

So, what this means is that Brady will have both time to throw to his receivers and more receivers competing for the ball--two WRs, two TE's. It's been frustrating for BB, I'm sure, to have to leave Graham back as a blocker.

Thomas, it seems to me, is insurance if Graham gets the dropsies again, or if he decides on greener pastures. Mills, I suspect, will never play the TE position, except in very unusual and rare circumstances. But he will be a key pickup for the offense.

BelichickFan said:

Why hate the Fullback moniker... maybe there is something I am not up to date on with my terminology.. but what makes Fullback dinosaur. I think Alstott when I think FB. But hey, I wanted to move Ted Johnson to FB for shortyardage when Gash left... what do I know. You need a yard, you put a monster in to get it or block for it. It was later that BB decided to start using DL/OL as FB....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News