PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Pats sign DT Tommy Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF he works out, I think his greatest value may end up being cutting down on VW's wear-and-tear rather than a synergistic-team-with-VW effect.

But if we actually get a motivated, in-shape, not-over-the-hill-yet Kelly and he does end up on the field sometimes on 1-2 down w/ VW; all the better.

But the reports are all saying he needs 'limited reps' and Kiner says he is a run liability; so that all seems to point to '3d Down VW sub' to me.

I like what PFK said:

...... Why does every signing have to epic to be worthy ([sic]??)

I never understand why people automatically assume that any player we sign HAS to play an impact. role. Sometimes a signing is just another signing getting us to 80 Hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. But as of right now, the Pats will seem to have more talent and depth competing for those DL positions this year. More competition means better results. when the final team is rolled out.

I refer everyone to BB's signings on the DL and OLB the past 3 years. He's stocked in a pretty strong group (on paper) each year. Each year there are some surprise cuts (name recognition wise), and the team proceeds to camp (where there are more signings).

I think everyone here wants a DT to play next to Wilfork, and a DT to play behind Wilfork that will be strong. I don't know that this signing will solve one of these issues, but to dismiss the guy that BB signed before waiting to see what actually goes down between now and the first game? At least I hope there are actual issues involved like age, or his meh play last year - and not some ongoing feud/vendetta against BB/Pats - or posters here.

Solid rotational guy, he'll be able to come in on limited snaps and provide a pass rush for us, giving guys like Wilfork and Love a breather. He isnt going to set the world on fire by any means, but hes a solid depth/rotation guy at this point in his career.

Right. Only the people who agree with the mob mentality on this board are knowledgable and / or know what they are talking about :rolleyes:

Youre wasting your time with him.

Every time the Pats sign a FA, the homers start dancing on the roof and only recall said players very best days on the field. See Adrian Wilson for example.

Another meh signing, he's a bum. Maybe he'll be as good as Haynesworth:rolleyes:

I haven't posted in like three weeks, and I still brought more to the table than you. Gawd.

Every time the Pats sign a FA, the homers start dancing on the roof and only recall said players very best days on the field. See Adrian Wilson for example.

Getting excited by player signings is part of being a fan. It beats being so blinded by how smart you think you are that you fool yourself into thinking you can run a team better than the professionals..

...which I imagine takes a lot of the fun out of being a Patriot fan.

speaking of the DL..whatever happened to abraham and freeney

not sure he will make the team...see if he has anything left after TC.

We still need a DE who can rush the passer and not just jones...

This is a no-brainer signing. Kelly is the starting impact DT this team desperatly needed next to Wilfork, and at a value price too. Woohoo!

Some people going ott about this signing and some are underwhelmed a bit too much.

Personally I think he could work out quite well in a reduced role. I thought he looked tired at times last year and less snaps will see him play better.

Decent signing. Between him, Love, Myron, and Armstead, it takes away the need to draft a DT. BB loves going into the draft with as little pressure as possible to draft specific positions.

Yes, expecting a dominant/great season out of him is a stretch, but he'll be a decent role player and we can get by with our platoon there if need be.

We'll trade out of the first, hopefully trade our second for a 4th and future 2nd, draft a WR, CB, DE, and OL depth, in that order.

EDIT:
Now that I think about it, I expect a 6 or 7 sack season out of him and good pressure throughout. He can't beat double teams, but when Seymour was healthy, he dominated (14.5 sacks). How many games did we see Love do absolutely nothing when given a 1 vs 1 matchup? (Pretty much every game). WIth Wilfork next to him, Kelly will be given a chance to play against just his man and get TONS of opportunities to generate pressure.

Very happy with the signing. Just get a DE and CB and I'll be happy.

Wish I could like this 100x. Everyone here is acting like we got Rodney Harrison 2.0 in Adrian Wilson and Tommy Kelly in his prime because he was just not trying in Oakland and will get it together with us! We're magical. Just like Lloyd was going to have a ton of yards and tds because man he's going from Orton to Brady.

Notice how all these homers are the ones lambasting Lloyd thread after thread because he didn't meet their rose-colored expectations. Remember when Haynesworth was going to get his head on straight because he was playing for BB and a contender! Me too! :rolleyes:

I haven't posted in like three weeks, and I still brought more to the table than you. Gawd.

What a worthless post, you bring nothing to the table besides adding to the chorus of homer brigadiers attacking all that oppose them.

And to the guy saying people that disagree think they're smarter than BB, no one said that they just don't agree with his moves. Better to actually try to form an opinion then join in the Kumbaya sing along that goes on here every offseason about how BB is infallible.

Did I say there was something wrong ? I said it was a meh signing before having to go into my overall opinions of this offseason in general.

all right already, your point is made. The horse has been beaten.

Wish I could like this 100x. Everyone here is acting like we got Rodney Harrison 2.0 in Adrian Wilson and Tommy Kelly in his prime because he was just not trying in Oakland and will get it together with us! We're magical. Just like Lloyd was going to have a ton of yards and tds because man he's going from Orton to Brady.

Notice how all these homers are the ones lambasting Lloyd thread after thread because he didn't meet their rose-colored expectations. Remember when Haynesworth was going to get his head on straight because he was playing for BB and a contender! Me too! :rolleyes:

What a worthless post, you bring nothing to the table besides adding to the chorus of homer brigadiers attacking all that oppose them.

And to the guy saying people that disagree think they're smarter than BB, no one said that they just don't agree with his moves. Better to actually try to form an opinion then join in the Kumbaya sing along that goes on here every offseason about how BB is infallible.
Why is it that people who disagree with you are homers? Have you considered that you've put forward a poorly supported position (as per usual) and posters have taken umbrage to that?

BB isn't infallible but he's a darn sight better at constructing a roster than everyone on this board.

Wish I could like this 100x. Everyone here is acting like we got Rodney Harrison 2.0 in Adrian Wilson and Tommy Kelly in his prime because he was just not trying in Oakland and will get it together with us!

Actually, if you spent less time playing the victim and more time reading what people write, you'd understand that almost no one, and certainly no one worth listening to, is saying what you claim.

Wait?! There is a Kumbaya Bill Belichick is infallible sing-a-long?

Where the hell is it?

I just find it funny that on a Patriots forum, there are those like you that attack the homers for being what we are here to do, be fans.

I don't have a problem with anyone criticizing BB for any particular draft, trade or FA signing. The man is not infallible.

I do have a problem with people that disdainfully over-generalize masses of posters together as "sheep" and "homers" and then act like they are so goddamn superior to them just because they "know better".

Criticize BB all you want. I'll defend him when and where I think it is warranted.

But try toning down the "disdain" for other Patriots fans that get excited about a move.

One makes you a Patriot fan by default, the other kind of makes you an asshat.

Actually, if you spent less time playing the victim and more time reading what people write, you'd understand that almost no one, and certainly no one worth listening to, is saying what you claim.

Brilliantly said.

I always thought that Tommy Kiley would be a super duper All Pro if only the Patriots got a chance to grab him...and now they have...SKY'S THE LIMIT!!!!!....yes ...a big, beautiful blue sky....going on for what seems like millions of miles.....what a great day to be a Patriot fan...we nabbed another player to fill out the roster....now only the draft...and June....and preseason cuts to go!!!! What a great offseason!!!

Eh. I don't like siding with Brady2Moss, but his play last season, to me at least, was indicative of a guy on the decline more than it was about a guy mailing it in. I wouldn't go so far as to call him a bum. He's definitely not bum status right now. Instead, I'll just say, "Welcome to the team, Mr. Kelly. Mr. Belichick, hopefully you still have plans to upgrade the DT position".

He did still was in on 46 total tackles which is 3 more than the combination of Deaderick and Love had last year and also leads me to believe his activity was still good. Houston led that team with 4.5 sacks and they had 25.0 sacks as a team which would lead me to believe it could of been more of a scheme issue than Kelly's play declining. Desmond Bryant who granted is 4 years younger received 5/$34M and he had 3 sacks and 9 less total tackles on the same team in a similar role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft