PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Patriots looked into trade for Case Keenum

Did you just dream up that scenario or do you actually have reports to back up any of that conjecture?

Because the beat reporter from Cleveland reported repeatedly that the Browns were willing to offer a #1 for Jimmy that entire offseason.

This reads more like her saying that they should offer their first rounder instead of a report that they actually were willing to do that.

So many conflicting reports out there I don't know what to believe. It's hard for me to envision a scenario where Bill would turn down a first rounder for a guy who played 6 quarters of NFL football in his life, got hurt and who reportedly was in the doghouse for backing out of a game with not a lot of advance notice after the team expected him to play that week.

This reads more like her saying that they should offer their first rounder instead of a report that they actually were willing to do that.

So many conflicting reports out there I don't know what to believe. It's hard for me to envision a scenario where Bill would turn down a first rounder for a guy who played 6 quarters of NFL football in his life, got hurt and who reportedly was in the doghouse for backing out of a game with not a lot of advance notice after the team expected him to play that week.
The Browns should have offered the second first round pick they had that year, they wouldn't because his agent Don Yee told Cleveland that even if they traded for Jimmy he wouldn't re-sign there.

There's not a lot of conflicting reports, it's very straight forward. They put him on the trade block at the end of December, nobody offered the first round pick they said they wanted. Jimmy had played one and a half quarters of football at that point and got hurt. Nobody wanted him for that price.

It's not unusual, there's precedent for fans being upset at trade return for another QB.

"They were disappointed," Reiss said of the fans' reaction to sending Cassel and Vrabel to KC for a second round pick. "They had visions of maybe a first round pick, multiple firsts. They were disappointed it was only a second round pick and Mike Vrabel, one of the great Patriots of the last decade of the championship run, was included in the trade. They thought it was a fleece job. Of course, what happened, I don't think a market developed like the Patriots thought it would and they took the best offer. Looking back at the trade, I think a lot of people were disappointed."

www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/11/16/2566111/kansas-city-chiefs-new-england-patriots-trade-matt-cassel

The issue for me is NOT the trade compensation. The issue was the process. Jimmy should have been traded in the spring to garner best trade value. Bill said he kept him because he wanted to keep him as injury insurance for Brady when Brady had not missed a game due to injury since 2008.

The issue for me is NOT the trade compensation. The issue was the process. Jimmy should have been traded in the spring to garner best trade value. Bill said he kept him because he wanted to keep him as injury insurance for Brady when Brady had not missed a game due to injury since 2008.
Bill tell you that himself?

I just provided proof ^ they tried to trade him starting in January and provided links.

Nobody offered more than a 2nd, they took the best offer available.

Did you just dream up that scenario or do you actually have reports to back up any of that conjecture?

Because the beat reporter from Cleveland reported repeatedly that the Browns were willing to offer a #1 for Jimmy that entire offseason.

The first article is nothing but speculation. The second article actually disputes your claim that BB wasn't preparing for life after Brady. He had JG, and was prepared to go into future years with him until Kraft stepped in. According to the Wickersham link in the article, Brady was the one with ruffled feathers, and had Kraft force BB to trade the future away. He did exactly that. He didn't need a first round pick, he needed a pick and a back up with knowledge of the system for a QB that was up in age. Hoyer fit that bill perfectly. The article even states he didn't want to trade JG to the Browns because he was afraid they would hurt JGs development. What an *******, right?
Do us all a favor, go find us proof of Brady doing anything, anything to show BB that he should have any reason for the off season negotiations to go any differently than they had for the previous twenty years of negotiating contracts together at the end of 2019. Because it looks to me like Brady did more damage to the future of the Patriots than BB ever did.

Sort of OT but here's my power rankings for Pats backup QBs in the BB/Brady and post Brady eras

1. Drew
2. Jimmy
3. Cassel
4. Brisket
5. Hoyer
6. Zappe
7. Huard
8. Flutie
9. Mallett
10. Stidham

Hard to say where Keenum would be on this list. He'd be up there though. Maybe after Jimmy?
Cassel over Jimmy.

Hoyer should be among the worst.

Keenum would have been a great addition to the QB room. He knows he's not a starter, could help in a pinch, but on the day to day makes the whole QB room better and is someone we could likely hold onto for years.

Then after Zappe shows promise as a back up, he cuts him only to sign him back to the PS and then signs Corral, a guy with no game experience.
That is some pretty dysfunctional behavior.

I missed this. So what's the difference between being on the roster and protected on the practice squad?

Apologies to Mike.

My understanding of the difference is 1. The PS player can only be protected on the 53 for up to three games per season. After three games the PS players have to be placed on the 53 to play in games and be protected. Players on the 53 are protected for 17 games, and 2. the PS players earn less money - Zappe lost money going to the PS. Four players on the PS can be protected for 17 games, but can only play in 2 or 3 games.

That is some pretty dysfunctional behavior.
I don't have a problem with being critical of the Corral as backup, since he has no experience. The part that a lot of people are questioning is whether Zappe shows promise, and if so, how much.

I don’t see how when they currently have Zappe and Corral on their roster.
Only Corral is on the roster. Zappe is on the practice squad. That’s very bizarre.

Only Corral is on the roster. Zappe is on the practice squad. That’s very bizarre.
They have both, if they really want to keep Zappe they can use one of their protected practice squad spots on him. They have both.

It’s not all that bizarre, most teams don’t have the roster space to bring a young QB in, teach him a new system a week before the regular season begins. Many teams think their young backup QB is as good or better than Zappe.

BB found a loophole in the rules to hoard young talented QB’s and now the NFL has changed the rule. The Pats will have to make a couple roster moves before game one, but they would have anyway.

Sort of OT but here's my power rankings for Pats backup QBs in the BB/Brady and post Brady eras

1. Drew
2. Jimmy
3. Cassel
4. Brisket
5. Hoyer
6. Zappe
7. Huard
8. Flutie
9. Mallett
10. Stidham

Hard to say where Keenum would be on this list. He'd be up there though. Maybe after Jimmy
My list would be similar except swap Flutie and Hoyer based on playing. Hoyer could be near 5 if your including his teaching knowledge of the system and scouting without actually playing the games.

Hoyer will be elevated from the practice squad to backup Mac. That is why we did not sign a veteran backup QB. Maybe you misunderstood?

Hoyer...?

And well done for the use of the more efficient "thrice" in the very next post.

So what's the difference between being on the roster and protected on the practice squad?

Protection only lasts from Tuesday through the game (more if a bye week).

Talk about having those payouts ass-backwards...

Note salaries for non-vets on the practice squad are fixed. For vets, can negotiate between minimum of around $16k and max around $20k.

I believe the rule said video equipment could not be on the field at all.

The rule book did not say that in 2007. The 2007 pre-season memo said "not on the sideline". It was not codified into the rules until much later.

Bill tell you that himself?

I just provided proof ^ they tried to trade him starting in January and provided links.

Nobody offered more than a 2nd, they took the best offer available.
Stop trying to dazzle him with the facts. He lives in a fantasy world of his own narrative and no matter how MANY times you try to lead him out of the morass, he just burrows deeper. I've tried to engage him as an adult. It didn't take. I will TRY no to do so any further no matter how provoked I get. Serenity Now! Serenity Now

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back