PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Replacement Refs - It has to be said.(Merged X7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
and posting on a message board changes anything

No, it absolutely does not, but I am tweeting to Goodell @nflcommish to let him know that I will NOT be watching any more games until this is fixed. Its absurd and frustrating to watch these games with replacement refs who are at best inconsistent and at times incompetent. Until it affects the viewing numbers on TV they will do nothing.

I don't blame the refs. They're just trying to do the best they can. Plus it's only week 3, i'm sure they'll get better the more games they are in.

However, I blame the NFL for this mess. You put high school refs and such and this is what happens. The NFL is at fault here not the refs who are trying.

Nope; the game was rigged; pure ans simple. It started with the bogus Gronk holding call; the Patriots were about to walk away with the game and the refs changed the momentum.

Many game were rigged with original refs but this was so blatant that it was disgusting. I turned off the game after I realized the that dice were loaded

Last edited:
The Ravens were called for 14 penalties and the Patriots for 10 - 24 plays where the referees had to call something. The 2-minute measurement when they spotted the ball over 2 yards from where they wound up placing it was an abomination. What a mess.

The NFL and the league owners are to blame for this mess. Patriots season ticket holders should be complaining to management about the poor officiating. Also, the NFL is kidding themselves if they think that the refs are going to take a bad deal. They all have regular jobs and there position is only strengthened after last nights nationally televised game.

Re: Replacement Refs - It has to be said.

If the Ravens had lost you could make a case for the officials costing them the game. What I am going to point out is the officials have sucked the viewing pleasure from my NFL experience.

I am considering boycotting all telecast until this farce is sorted.

It's very frustrating to watch, even games not involving the Pats. I wouldn't quit quite yet though. If the owners don't come to their senses soon then I'll join you.

I never thought that the NFL would join MLB on my ignore list, but they're close.

This is just one more in a long string of MAJOR bad judgement calls by the commissioner. Goodell needs to be replaced.

Back to the game - the Pats got screwed but so did the Ravens. Pats had 83 penalty yards, Ravens had 135. The Pats also got some calls in the 4th quarter to keep drives going that would have died otherwise. It was just terrible all around. If the Ravens lost they'd have a half dozen cases too of where they would probably argue they were hosed.

This is not Godell but Bob and the other owners. The comish is their lackey. AQsk Kraft why he is doing this not Godell

Listen, I understand the need to vent but I just want to make it clear that the refs are going to be hear a while. We heard at halftime that there are large discrepancies between the league and locked out refs so we should expect to see more of the same in future games. If someone wants to b**** about it after every game that's fine but it will get old after a while. It's already old.

There's no way that we're going to stop being critical. The blatantly poor job being done by the refs will see to that.

What a bunch of whiny little girls. All the calls went against the Patriots and for the Ravens. LOL Take the blinders off children, it is what it is not what you'd like to think it is. Even the big whiner Brady would say "wow you all sure whine alot". LOL

Re: SuperBowl 47: JAGS Vs RAMS

The tickets are already sold. The TV contract in place. Nobody is not gonna watch. This is pie in the sky nonsense. Thanks for wasting our time.

J D Sal

That's not really a waste of time. I know that I played or coached baseball for most of my life, and my love for the Red Sox bordered on worship, but I haven't wasted one moment on MLB for a long, long time. It may not have hurt them, but it has made me feel much better. At some point I realized that they thought of me more as a sucker than a fan.

The pass interference call made on Devin contributed to another score for the Ravens.

Couple the horrid calls and plays by our defensive backs, it was something horrid to watch....

The refs were horrid in their calls on both teams....off setting incompetence. I'd love to bump the pre season thread when many people said this wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
If anything good can come out of last night, it's hopefully too big of an embarrassment to the NFL to let this continue. I have to give credit to Collinsworth and Al Michaels for being as vocal as they were about the officials and driving the point home. Something NEEDS to be done.

What a bunch of whiny little girls. All the calls went against the Patriots and for the Ravens. LOL Take the blinders off children, it is what it is not what you'd like to think it is. Even the big whiner Brady would say "wow you all sure whine alot". LOL

Judging by m inbox this morning from my Patriot-hater friends (Steelers, Cowboys, brother who is a Jets fan, all the Bills fans from where I live, Eagles fan father-in-law) he rest of America thinks the Patriots got jobbed. Every single one of them think the game was stolen. I note the ESPN vote box shows 70% think the game was taken. Not to mention that most people are Patriot haters.

I'm sure most of the obvious issues have been addressed, but I have a couple on questions.

We all know there's plenty of holding by the OLine that's not called on most plays, but grabbing guys by the neck and or pushing/pulling them to the ground and falling on them is fairly blatant and the Ravens offense executed this to perfection. Our defensive pass rush could not have been as ineffective otherwise?

Did the patriots use these same tactics to get Brady more time? If not, wouldn't this be an issue with the coaching staff (not playing to the level of effectiveness that the refs will let you get away with).

As for people complaining about the last drive and the pass defense (well or the lack thereof). How can a coach address a player when he asks, "coach how can I defend against this", when phantom penalties are being called. I think that is the crux of the problem. if penalties are being called consistently, anything can be coached or planned for.

Did the fans chanting BS efect the decision making of the refs towards the end? one can just wonder

You can't blame them for being Raven maniacs. The calls were horrible.

I, for one, normally do not put much blame on officials for costing a game. This game is an exception.

Unfortunately, we will have to endure fans from all of the other teams, this week, calling us crybabies, etc. And to them, I have just two words, "screw you."

Am I allowed to say that here?

I think that fans from other teams will be too busy complaining about the calls in their own games to worry about us. We're all in this together when it comes to being screwed.

This is not Godell but Bob and the other owners. The comish is their lackey. AQsk Kraft why he is doing this not Godell

Why? It is called greed; last year's profits are never enough for those types of people. There are no limits to greed. The owners did get to be where they are by being equitable and magnanimous.

Why? It is called greed; last year's profits are never enough for those types of people. There are no limits to greed. The owners did get to be where they are by being equitable and magnanimous.
and sometimes you have to do what is right. If people ask for too much and even if you could grant it, does that mean you have to (if people are potentially being unreasonable)?

For Example: I wanted to sell my house and move on to a slightly larger house. I was working with people who were nitpicking every little detail about the house and getting on my nerves. Eventually, I got to a point where there would be no more concessions no matter how reasonable.

I even too it 1 step further and refused to sell my house to them because they seemed like the type of people who will keep coming back to you 6 months after they bought the house to try and get you to pay for some perceived defect.

As a side note, the house was well maintained, but it had been lived in for 14 years. If people expect everything to be brand new, then they should buy a brand new house :). Additionally, I ran into the agent some time later and they told me the people did the same thing to the next couple and that couple regretted selling them their house :D.

If anything good can come out of last night, it's hopefully too big of an embarrassment to the NFL to let this continue. I have to give credit to Collinsworth and Al Michaels for being as vocal as they were about the officials and driving the point home. Something NEEDS to be done.

This one hit Bob Kraft square in the nutsack.

I think that now he will push to end this fiasco after he saw how upset BB was.

You guys can scroll threw my history. I am not one who really complains at officials (maybe a handful of small gripes in my years), but THIS is different. THIS was the most poorly officiated game I have EVER seen in all my time watching football.

I am not even going to go as far as to say that's why we lost the game, because I think there were horrible penalties and non-penalties made in both directions (though more were against the Pats). This was rediculous. The fact that Bill was sooooooo irate at the officials after the game led me to believe that I was not the only one thinking this.

Usually after the game you can sum up the refs bad night by reviewing one or two calls. If we were to look at last night's debacle, where do we begin?

Ticky tack pass interference on the Julian Edelman catch?
The same contact that's not called on the Torrey Smith 2nd TD?
How about all those non-holding penalties by the Baltimore offensive lineman that let Joe Flacco camp in the pocket?
The incorrect enforcement of offsides on a punt?
Spotting the Manahoona-(whaveter his name) catch at the two yard line? He almost scored, didn't he?
Taking an official measurement timeout when the ball was a good yard (at least) short of the first down.
Phantom pass interference call to sustain a Baltimore drive early in the second quarter on 3rd and 6.
Phatom holding call on McCourty that gave them a first down instead of them having a 3r and 15.

ok, there were some that went in the Pats favor too

15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct for typical 'after the play' skirmishes.
Illegal contact call at the end of the game that erased a big interception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST