PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss' thoughts on Walsh meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extras/askreiss/05_06_08/?page=full

Hi Mike, with the pending conversation between Roger Goodell and Matt Walsh, I'm curious as to what measures are being taken to protect the Patriots against false accusations. Also, if Walsh produces a tape that is potentially damaging to the Patriots, the alleged Rams Super Bowl walk-through for example, what steps will the NFL take to verify that the team ordered its production and it was not Walsh acting on his own? My chief concern is that Goodell may be more concerned with administering knee-jerk, critic-pleasing punishments than with finding out all the facts. Thanks!
Christopher, Washington, D.C.

A: Christopher, I read over the agreement between the two parties (read it here) before answering this question, and the part that answers the first question -- what measures are being taken to protect the Patriots against false accusations -- is addressed in the third section titled "indemnification." If I am reading the agreement correctly, Walsh will not be protected legally if he is found to be intentionally untruthful. I believe that alone is a major measure that protects the Patriots against false accusations. On the second part of the question -- if Walsh produces a tape, what steps will the NFL take to verify the team ordered its production -- I'd start by saying I don't believe it will get to this point. I don't think Walsh has that tape, nor do I think he taped the walk-through. I think he'll tell the NFL he was at the walk-through, along with other Patriots officials who were setting up equipment, and that he only referenced the thought that the walk-through could have been taped. Hypothetically, if Walsh does have a tape, I think the league would be in a tough spot in terms of determining whether it was authorized by the team. Ultimately, I think the NFL would penalize the Patriots, because even though the tape might not have been authorized, it was still produced by an employee of the team, and thus the team must be held accountable.
interesting..i didnt know there was such a clause where walsh could not be actually be legally protected.

Re: Reiss's thoughts on walsh meetinghttp://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/r

Basically, it protects Walsh from being prosecuted by the Patriots for having any items that would normally be considered stolen property. It doesn't protect Walsh from the potential of a lawsuit for defamation of character.

Re: Reiss's thoughts on walsh meetinghttp://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/r

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extras/askreiss/05_06_08/?page=full

interesting..i didnt know there was such a clause where walsh could not be actually be legally protected.

Walsh is quite protected. Typically you can be sued for slander for being negligently or recklessly untruthful.

Walsh is only loses protection if it can be proven he was intentionally untruthful -- almost impossible to prove.

Walsh is quite protected. Typically you can be sued for slander for being negligently or recklessly untruthful.

Walsh is only loses protection if it can be proven he was intentionally untruthful -- almost impossible to prove.

I don't think its impossible to prove. Especially since the Patriots might have confiscated some of the tapes that Walsh made while he was taping Pioli.

Also, all one needs to do is look at Walsh's resume to see that he was intentionally untruthful. Same with his biography.

What if Walsh has a tape of a phone conversation with Pioli?

He would be breaking a law !

What DA in Massachusetts wouldn't want to hang him ?
What better way to get re-elected Martha !

What if Walsh has a tape of a phone conversation with Pioli?

He would be breaking a law !

What DA in Massachusetts wouldn't want to hang him ?
What better way to get re-elected Martha !

Ever heard of the statute of limitations?

i was just about to post a thread about having not heard any news from spygate with may 13 only a week away....

I believe you are correct - but the point is that Walsh still does run a risk, and the Patriots aren't exactly going to be shy about having that issue decided in a courtroom if Walsh embellishes.

Of course, the kicker is that some benefactor has been nice enough to retain a $500 an hour DC attorney for Walsh, and the media and everyone else has lost sight of addressing the question of "Why".

As it turns out, Walsh's lawyer's former lawfirm has ties to Comcast which anyone in the media could confirm but choose not to.

Not that I think anything would come of it, but that's been addressed, the time has to have passed while he was present in the state of Mass...since he's been in HI for most of the time, it has not passed. I could be wrong, but that was what I understood...

Doesn't apply.

...An indictment for any other crime shall be found and filed within 6 years after such crime has been committed. Any period during which the defendant is not usually and publicly a resident within the commonwealth shall be excluded in determining the time limited.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/277-63.htm

Last edited:
Poor Mike tries to calmly and rationally address two specific questions, and some here veer off on tangents again...

I think he has the first part exactly right. The problem for Walsh is what is it worth risking indemnity (including having his high priced mouthpiece and his travel expenses paid for) for him to tell the commissioner something he knows to be untrue. One way to prove he knows he's lying is to have former employees directly discredit his recollection. For example, if he did persist in saying - as the rumor originally purported - that he somehow managed to stay behind undetected to film the walkthrough. We already know a fellow employee has debunked that version of the story since he exited the facility with Walsh and even recalled Walsh blathering on the ride back to the hotel that they could have taped that walkthrough easily...

I'd therefore go Mike one further and say if he does produce tape that has any portion of a Rams walkthrough on it, he will have to prove that it was in fact taped by him (as opposed to acquired by him after the fact) and that his employer was at least aware of it's existence or directed him to film it. The agreement mandated that when it specified what would be considered in the scope of his job did not include taping opponents practices. They obviously crafted that based on other Patriot video employees testifying to Goodell that they were never asked to do such a thing. I think Reiss is clearly hearing from his inside sources that no one on the team ever saw such a tape nor were they aware of even it's rumored existence prior to Walsh's being fired. And based on that they don't think he has it. Now I would not doubt that they heard of it's rumored existence, probably via questions to Stacey James from mediots who Walsh contacted at the Globe and Herald back in the day, and they probably dismissed it at the time as a sour grapes attempt to smear them by a disgruntled employee they knew was a wacko. They also know that the wacko was a collector of sorts...so they can't say with certainty what he might have. All they can say is they had no knowledge of any such taping by Walsh or anyone else. The league can't punish them for having the misfortune of hiring an employee prior to Belioli's watch who was apparently unbalanced, particularly not 5 years after they canned his ass after discovering he was in fact unbalanced.

FWIW I saw a tape of a Superbowl practice on You Tube not too long ago. Done by students at a college facility where one of the teams was practicing. I would not doubt for a minute that footage could exist from the Rams walkthrough. For crying out loud, Snoop Dogg was there! As were family and friends of the on the verge of a dynasty RAMS, many of whom likely had cameras with them at an event where according to the independent AP pool reporter they never really did a conventional walkthrough (contrary to Kurt's recollection). I've also seen footage of our Superbowl walkthroughs - done by Channel 5 All Access...:D

Matt walsh has nothing.

guess what? I produced an audio track of crowd noise for the colts. Is it true? Maybe, maybe not....but since i said it, I expect to have a metting with the comish.

The key date is May 8. I believe that is when Walsh is required to turn over all materials to the NFL for inspection prior to his interview with the Doofus in Chief.

FWIW I saw a tape of a Superbowl practice on You Tube not too long ago. Done by students at a college facility where one of the teams was practicing. I would not doubt for a minute that footage could exist from the Rams walkthrough. For crying out loud, Snoop Dogg was there! As were family and friends of the on the verge of a dynasty RAMS, many of whom likely had cameras with them at an event where according to the independent AP pool reporter they never really did a conventional walkthrough (contrary to Kurt's recollection). I've also seen footage of our Superbowl walkthroughs - done by Channel 5 All Access...:D

This is why and where I part company with Reiss who seems to be saying that the prima facie existance of any walkthru tape will result in Patriots punishment. ANYONE could have a videotape of a walkthru. Goodell has heard testimony from 50 people none of whom substantiate the existance of a PATRIOTS walkthru tape. So the existance of a tape taken by gawd knows who should in no way result in a penalty against the Patriots without reasonable supporting evidence that it was done by them at their request. I'm not sure I have faith in Goodell's judgement in such a hypothetical instance. The man panics under media pressure.

Last edited:

Yes you said "almost." Just riffing off you post.

Actually, if the liar is a moron, it can be done.

liar: I state X.

suer: That can't be because of a,b,c,y,and z are true so X can not be true.

sane guys: I guess he was mistaken about X.

moronic liar: Yes, but X.

Yes, against a reasonably intelligent person it is impossible.

I guess it enters the realm of highly improbable, but not entirely impossible.:D

I don't think its impossible to prove. Especially since the Patriots might have confiscated some of the tapes that Walsh made while he was taping Pioli.

Also, all one needs to do is look at Walsh's resume to see that he was intentionally untruthful. Same with his biography.

He said "almost." He is right. It is almost impossible, but not entirely impossible.

Couple Points:
1. I strongly believe Walsh has something of relevance. Don't think his attorney would be associating himself with him if he did not. The man doesn't get paid $500 an hour because he is an idiot.

2. If he has something, regardless of whether he did it on his own or not, the Patriots will be in trouble. Under a legal doctrine sometimes referred to as "respondeat superior" (Latin for "Let the superior answer"), an employer is legally responsible for the actions of its employees if the employee is acting within the course and scope of employment. In other words, the employer will generally be liable if the employee was doing his or her job, carrying out company business, or otherwise acting on the employer's behalf when the incident took place.

3. Goodell will drop the hammer, and the Patriots know it. Caper's was hired as Plan B, not because we need additional defensive mind power. BB is a defensive genious.

PREDICTION: (I love the Pats, just being real) I think BB will hit the pine for an extended period of time (at least 4 games).

Last edited:
Couple Points:
1. I strongly believe Walsh has something of relevance. Don't think his attorney would be associating himself with him if he did not. The man doesn't get paid $500 an hour because he is an idiot.

2. If he has something, regardless of whether he did it on his own or not, the Patriots will be in trouble. Under a legal doctrine sometimes referred to as "respondeat superior" (Latin for "Let the superior answer"), an employer is legally responsible for the actions of its employees if the employee is acting within the course and scope of employment. In other words, the employer will generally be liable if the employee was doing his or her job, carrying out company business, or otherwise acting on the employer's behalf when the incident took place.

3. Goodell will drop the hammer, and the Patriots know it. Caper's was hired as Plan B, not because we need additional defensive mind power. BB is a defensive genious.

PREDICTION: (I love the Pats, just being real) I think BB will hit the pine for an extended period of time (at least 4 games).

(1) That "something of relevance" could be that the Pats were taping back in 2000/2001. That, somehow, apparently was not public knowledge until after the Walsh story broke.

(2) I'm not sure that respondeat superior applies here, unless Walsh can produce a tape that he made. As has been established already, tapes of the walkthrough might well exist, but there is strong evidence arguing against the Pats doing it. Moreover, the indemnity agreement specifically states that producing such a tape would not be considered a normal part of his activities. In other words, it's up to Walsh to provide evidence that it was authorized. [Might they get penalized if he made it and never told anyone in the organization, since Goodell has said no one in the organization has knowledge of this? Yes, it's possible. But it wouldn't be as severe; as someone else pointed out, they didn't hire Walsh.]

(3) Please re-read my posts in the main Hawaii Hack thread. The Patriots know that Walsh was taping stuff. If they are actually guilty of "illegal videotaping activities", then they have been acting in not just a stupid manner, but a monumentally idiotic manner since late September.

And I'll go you one better:

(4) There is no #%_#@ing way that Walsh would make this tape, currently possess a copy, and not know exactly where it is; this isn't exactly a tape of a tasty recipe he saw on TV. If he does in fact have an axe to grind--as appears to be the case, from all indications--why not release the tape back in September, when it would have caused maximum damage? Back then, I think it would have been taken by the media as absolute proof the Pats had cheated (regardless of what the facts might be); now, the burden of proof is significantly higher, since Goodell's had plenty of time to investigate.

Can I say there's absolutely no chance that Walsh has anything? No. But I wouldn't bet much money that he has stuff, either.

Last edited:
The key date is May 8. I believe that is when Walsh is required to turn over all materials to the NFL for inspection prior to his interview with the Doofus in Chief.

and given that Goodell's office leaks like a sieve, we should know the contents by the 11:00 News that night...

If he did somehow get his grimy paws on a tape of a walk through that someone else taped, it should be easy to proove that it was in fact not taped by the Patriots or an employee of the Patriots.

I still think the lawyers job has been to keep his sorry ass out of trouble for stealing and opening his mouth when he had nothing of significance.

and given that Goodell's office leaks like a sieve, we should know the contents by the 11:00 News that night...

11:00 news, we'd know by the 10:00 news, lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back