PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Thomas *not* present for offseason program start - claims didn't know it began

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss: Thomas *not* present for offseason program start - claims didn't know it b

None of them deserve criticism for missing something that is voluntary per the CBA. That's the whole point of voluntary, and it's why unions fight to put things in as voluntary instead of mandatory. If it was so vital that players attend all of this crap, the owners should have offered concessions in order to get these workouts made mandatory in the last CBA.
The CBA is a business document, not primarily a football document. It's a player's right, but saying that they therefore do not deserve criticism is wrong. Exercising one's rights does not make you immune from criticism about how and when you exercise them, in any walk of life.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK.
You sound like an expert on banks... probably the blood bank is your major source of income.

Re: Reiss: Thomas *not* present for offseason program start - claims didn't know it b

Yep. Arguably the greatest defensive football coach of the modern era who also coached the greatest pass-rushing LB of all-time just couldn't figure out a way to maximize ADs talents. I'm sure that is the reason....

Give me a break. AD checked out when he didn't get his way and wasn't producing. Plain and simple.

Thomas wasnt rushing the passer because when he did he SUCKED.
I would imagine anyone would be upset if their job was taken away because they suck at it.
I don't know how that makes the person who put a better player in the role wrong.

The root of the problem is that BB felt having Thomas in the middle made our LB starting corps better than having Thomas at OLB. This doesn't necessarily mean that Thomas was better suited at ILB. It's indicament of how BB felt about the next guy in line at ILB that he would take his best OLB (Thomas) and move him inside.

But we arent talking about 2006, we are talking about 2009 when he hadnt played ILB in almost 3 years

But we arent talking about 2006, we are talking about 2009 when he hadnt played ILB in almost 3 years

I keep hearing this ILB thing and I don't get it. I thought he stopped playing ILB when Colvin went down in 2007.

I keep hearing this ILB thing and I don't get it. I thought he stopped playing ILB when Colvin went down in 2007.

He was playing outside in the Super Bowl at least, if I recall.

The CBA is a business document, not primarily a football document. It's a player's right, but saying that they therefore do not deserve criticism is wrong. Exercising one's rights does not make you immune from criticism about how and when you exercise them, in any walk of life.

Whether they are "immune" is irrelevant, since nobody is immune to it in this country (at least, in theory), and that's a red herring. Whether they are deserving is not. As I noted, if these things are so important, the league should bargain for making them mandatory in the next CBA.

Brady, Moss and Warren also MIA..... let's make sure that we bash them to. After all, voluntary isn't, right?
Couldn't agree more. He's not skipping out on anything that is mandatory, why the big overreaction by some people?

Couldn't agree more. He's not skipping out on anything that is mandatory, why the big overreaction by some people?

Because the people listed aren't skating on thin ice. Thomas should be doing everything in his power to regain Bill's trust in him and prepare for the upcoming season. Things like him "not knowing" about the offseason program is an indication that we can expect more of the same from him this season AKA-nothing.

Last edited:

AD played ILB predominantly in 07 (his first year here). Then in 08, he was the OLB that went out and covered the TE's and RB's (Vrabel was the main rusher). And last year, he was played OLB but was taken out on 3rd downs and was never really used as our pass rusher.

The point is, BB gave him a role that he felt was best for the team and it seemed like AD disagreed in how he was being used. IMO, I think that's how their relationship soured.

Don't forget that Thomas was on the bench vs. the Colts in 2007 while Rodney was called upon to cover Dallas Clark. That was one of the weirdest moves I've ever seen. Hire an expensive free-agent to play LB, then keep him on the bench against arguably the toughest opponent of the regular season?

I'm still not sure why everyone is freaking out about this. Thomas' absence should not be a suprise to anybody here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes