PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: National 'experts' like what they see

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsRI

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/10/16/new_look_patriots_are_turning_heads/?page=1

These guys will be off the bandwagon just as quick if they lose 1 of the next 2.

some takes:

Bettis:
``I am pretty surprised, considering the wide receivers they lost," said Bettis, the former Pittsburgh Steeler. ``To me, the most impressive part of the Patriots is that they realize what they have, and what they don't have, and they game-plan within that. A lot of teams will struggle with their identity when they're not the same football team, asking `What are we?' I don't see that from the Patriots."

Jaws:
Jaworski isn't as surprised the Patriots are 4-1, because he believes they know how to win, but he wouldn't have predicted that record knowing how the offense has performed.
``I think they're winning with a lackluster offense right now," he said. ``It's clear that they are aware of their lack of vertical game. I don't see a vertical threat on the team right now, and if you ask any safety the thing that scares him the most, it's speed. So when you don't see that on the other side, you don't have to play as deep. I'm surprised they've been able to win without having that element."

Simms:
``I watched the New England-Miami game and I heard rumblings in the crowd, even when Tom Brady was getting some passes knocked down," he said. ``I sensed that people were thinking, `The Dolphins are 1-3 and we should beat them by 50.' I think New England is in a tough place. They've won three Super Bowls, but it doesn't seem like winning is good enough, they have to win with style, convincingly, to keep people happy. I guess I'd ask, `What does everyone expect?' "

I respect Simms and Jaws, but I wont listen to the Bust, he is another one of those talking heads that like to hear himself talk..

Interesting is the part where Jaworski praises the Pats' offense play-calling.

Of all three, Sims has always gotten my respect, he seems to be able to articulate what many of us are scribing. While many of us do believe we should have beaten Miami by 50, there is no reward or recognition for that achievement.. the only thing that counts is W's and L's, not style.

Simms has a built-in pro-Pats bias -- and also a built-in understanding of them. The Pats are, simply, a new and improved version of his old team, albeit without a Lawrence Taylor. Similarly, Brady is a new and improved version of Simms.

GJAJ15 said:
Of all three, Sims has always gotten my respect, he seems to be able to articulate what many of us are scribing. While many of us do believe we should have beaten Miami by 50, there is no reward or recognition for that achievement.. the only thing that counts is W's and L's, not style.

It's obvious that he's correct that some fans are grumbling such things just from the posts on this board after the Miami game. You'd have thought we lost from some of the ranting about the offense and the offensive playcalling.

(wait patiently for the anti-OC rants to follow)

A good read, even allowing for Bettis having to toe tap his way back from the abyss he was originally determined to enter.
Naturally, the first new post I see when I came by today dealt with "The case for Jerry Porter." People make a big deal that players like Porter and Randy Moss are just another pair of Cory Dillons waiting for the Fairy Godmother to whisk them to New England's locker room. With the 20/20 hindsite advantage of Dillon's trade, the glaring difference is Dillon didn't quite on his team, neither of these two boobs can make that claim.

All everyone needs to know about the Bus is this:

Before yesterday's games, Bettis broke down his AFC contenders into two groups, putting the Patriots in the ``A class" along with the Ravens, Bengals, Chargers, Broncos, and Colts. Bettis said the ``B class" consists of the Jaguars, Chiefs, and Steelers.

What was the stillers record before yesterday---the fact that he put them in the tops of the AFC when they were circling the drain shows you how objective he can be:rolleyes: He also put the chiefs in there---comparing both of them to the jags at this point in the season is just plain dumb:rolleyes:

I wonder why no-one (ie talking heads) is addressing their pre-season AFC East winning fins prediction?:singing:

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
A good read, even allowing for Bettis having to toe tap his way back from the abyss he was originally determined to enter.
Naturally, the first new post I see when I came by today dealt with "The case for Jerry Porter." People make a big deal that players like Porter and Randy Moss are just another pair of Cory Dillons waiting for the Fairy Godmother to whisk them to New England's locker room. With the 20/20 hindsite advantage of Dillon's trade, the glaring difference is Dillon didn't quite on his team, neither of these two boobs can make that claim.

They way Moss played and acted last night is the bad side of him that we are all trying to convince ourselves that the Pats could cure. The fact is that he took plays off last night, like when the ball was passed to him.......

He was being a turd on the sidelines as well. :eek:

I am requesting a moratorium on the use of quotation marks around the word expert. It is childish and petty. That is all.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/10/16/new_look_patriots_are_turning_heads/?page=1

Bettis:
``I am pretty surprised, considering the wide receivers they lost," said Bettis, the former Pittsburgh Steeler. ``To me, the most impressive part of the Patriots is that they realize what they have, and what they don't have, and unlike NEM they game-plan within that" Jerome said. A lot of teams will struggle with their identity when they're not the same football team, asking `What are we?' I don't see that from the Patriots."

Jaws:
Jaworski isn't as surprised the Patriots are 4-1, because he believes they know how to win, but he wouldn't have predicted that record knowing how the offense has performed.
``I think they're winning with a lackluster offense right now," he said as NEM nodded gleefully. But then he went on to say ``It's clear that they are aware of their lack of vertical game. I don't see a vertical threat on the team right now, and if you ask any safety the thing that scares him the most, it's speed. So when you don't see that on the other side, you don't have to play as deep. I'm surprised they've been able to win without having that element. I guess it's because they've managed to score just enough while avoiding attempting too many slants and crossing patterns in front of those waiting safeties... "

Simms:
``I watched the New England-Miami game and I heard rumblings in the crowd, even when Tom Brady was getting some passes knocked down," he said. ``I sensed that people like NEM were thinking, `The Dolphins are 1-3 and we should beat them by 50.' I think New England is in a tough place. They've won three Super Bowls, but it doesn't seem like winning is good enough for the NEM's, they have to win with style, convincingly, to keep people like NEM happy. I guess I'd ask, `What does everyone expect?' More slants and crossing patterns?"

I think these three lurk here. :D

God i cant wait for the tradedeadline to pass so we wont have to talk about those 2 faiders again. I'm happy giving the WR's we do have all season. Things will definetly get better on the passing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST