PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Cassel most likely to KC

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we can assume that Pioli and BB are of similar minds when it comes to building a football team then I'd find it surprising that Pioli was going to target anything but a lineman with the number 3 pick. OL or DL, both are a major priority for KC, so Pioli's eyes would seem to be pointed at some serious beef up front, not an overpriced, 50-50 odds to succeed QB.

Again assuming Pioli to share BB's shrewdness in the manipulation of draft picks, my guess is KC trades down a few spots then takes the best beef left. In fact, if Pioli's extremely clever he could potentially trade down far enough - say, down into the low teens - to land another 2nd round pick he could use to replace the pick he may use on Cassel.

What a coup that would be for Pioli's first draft - a franchise lineman, a ready to start QB, both while keeping the same number of 2009 picks, and all three at barely 25% over the price a number 3 pick QB would demand on his own.

Arrowhead land would living large!

Last edited:
What a coup that would be for Pioli's first draft - a franchise lineman, a ready to start QB, both while keeping the same number of 2009 picks, and all three at barely 25% over the price a number 3 pick QB would demand on his own.

Make that Curry and Cassel. BB gets their #2 and a position swap this draft, and a #2 in 2010. Win-win.

#2's this year and #1 next year............if the 1st next year is 20th or later, otherwise a #2 next year

Personally I think Pioli signs a vet like Garcia and drafts Sanchez who will be brought along slowly

I think Pioli will not pay big dollars for a QB with a team in rebuilding mode and which he must spread out the cap money well,Cassel would cost much more than Garcia or some other vet QB - I say KC drafts Sanchez with the #3and polishes him up for a shot to start in 2010

You know... that QB they are drafting at #3 overall is not paying for free either!! :eek: So there goes your money argument.

Leinart 6yrs/50.8M
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-149481612.html

Matt Ryan 6yrs/72M
http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/05/20/ryanburst_0521.html

Last edited:
if thigpen was our starting QB instead of brady, you´d prefer him to cassel?

Not now obviously, but bear in mind he only started the last 7 or 8 games of the season and they averaged 21 odd points a game. Their coaches schemed ways to get him moving the ball. If you take Cassel's first 8 games (inc preseason) a lot of people here werent exactly sold on him were they

Theres an argument to be made in KC that given the way he ended last year he deserves a shot at this years job. Personally I think he's a bit of a headless chicken who doesnt read the field well or have any pocket presence but im sure there is someone else we were saying that about after 8 games;)

Again this all comes to down to where KC (inc SP) rate Thigpen, Stafford/Sanchez and Cassel and where they believe their most pressing need is. I mean their D isnt great is it

If Cassel is traded, I think a 2 and a 5th round pick would be realistic.. Kc is not going to give the number 3 pick in the draft.. If Kc is the destination..

At this point, I think we should all come to the realization that we are more than likely not going to receive anything higher than a #2 for Matt. Clayton agrees, unfortunately, I think alot of people out there view Matt more as a product of the system and won't part with a #1, but would part with a #2 because of his youth and upside.

Again, I'll take a 2nd round draft pick for a 7th round pick anytime. I'm projecting a #2 this year and a #3 in 2010, that's the best I think we can get.

Last edited:
At this point, I think we should all come to the realization that we are more than likely not going to receive anything higher than a #2 for Matt. Clayton agrees, unfortunately, I think alot of people out there view Matt more as a product of the system and won't part with a #1, but would part with a #2 because of his youth and upside.

He also thinks the Patriots would/should take that second and go out and trade for a backup. :bricks:

OTOH, the guy helping to buy the groceries--Floyd Reese--thinks the Pats can get a first.

If Cassel is traded, I think a 2 and a 5th round pick would be realistic.. Kc is not going to give the number 3 pick in the draft.. If Kc is the destination..

Agreed (again -- if KC's the destination). That still gives us 4 picks in the first two rounds this year. And if the "experts" are saying that there are about 34-36 "first round quality" players in the pool, then if we get KC's 2nd rd pick (#34), there is a chance we'd get two "first round quality players" with our first 2 picks anyway (the 2nd of which we wouldn't have to pay 'first round money.')

If Matt Schaub was worth two second rounders and a flip flop in first round picks then Matt Cassel is worth more. I just do not know why people are undervaluing him. When you look at the amount of teams who need a major upgrade at QB and combine that with available QB's out there (Draft or FA), I believe that a first and a second is going to be the asking price for his services. BB has a ton of draft picks but he always puts one or two in the bank for the next season.

If Matt Schaub was worth two second rounders and a flip flop in first round picks then Matt Cassel is worth more. I just do not know why people are undervaluing him. When you look at the amount of teams who need a major upgrade at QB and combine that with available QB's out there (Draft or FA), I believe that a first and a second is going to be the asking price for his services. BB has a ton of draft picks but he always puts one or two in the bank for the next season.

wasn't schaub traded with a year left on his rookie contract? these kinds of things make a difference

wasn't schaub traded with a year left on his rookie contract? these kinds of things make a difference

Well actually he was a RFA and any team who wanted a shot a signing him would have given up a first and a third. He received the highest qualifying offer of 2.3 million but I do not really see where it makes a difference.

When we trade Matt Cassel, a long term deal is expected to fallow, just like in the case of Matt Schaub. Their pre-trade and post-trade numbers are going to be different when they sign the new contract.

That's exactly this issue here. Matt Schaub, who in fact WASN'T worth 2 - 2nd rounders and a flop of 1's. You just spelled it out, that's why teams aren't going to do anything remotely close to that with Cassel because Schaub hasn't lived up to that trade value. Teams are gun shy now about what they view as "one-year" wonders. I don't view him as a one-year wonder, but I believe other FO's do. That's why I'm telling you that I truly believe the best we'll get for Cassel is a 2009 #2 and a conditional 2010 (nothing higher than R2 based on goals met). No chance for a #1 pick.

Last edited:
That's exactly this issue here. Matt Schaub, who in fact WASN'T worth 2 - 2nd rounders and a flop of 1's. You just spelled it out, that's why teams aren't going to do anything remotely close to that with Cassel because Schaub hasn't lived up to that trade value. Teams are gun shy now about what they view as "one-year" wonders. I don't view him as a one-year wonder, but I believe other FO's do. That's why I'm telling you that I truly believe the best we'll get for Cassel is a 2009 #2 and a conditional 2010 (nothing higher than R2 based on goals met). No chance for a #1 pick.

Where are you getting the notion that Schaub hasn't been worth the picks?

Riddler the thinking makes no sense. They paid 2 #2 picks for Schaub because the QB position is so important. The fact he didn't pan out doesn't mean nobody else will do it in the future.

QB's are routinely picked high in the draft, given tons of money, fail, and teams STILL do it regardless of history.

Same thing with trading for a QB. The price for Cassel will remain high.

Where are you getting the notion that Schaub hasn't been worth the picks?

If you want to call these HOF stats: All the power to you:

With probably a top 3 WR in Andre Johnson:

2007 9 TD/9 INT
2008 15 TD/10 INT

I tend to look at that as mediocre and not worthy of the trade.

If you want to call these HOF stats: All the power to you:

With probably a top 3 WR in Andre Johnson:

2007 9 TD/9 INT
2008 15 TD/10 INT

I tend to look at that as mediocre and not worthy of the trade.

You might want to re-check this past season's stats. Also, the HOF comment was just silly.

You might want to re-check this past season's stats. Also, the HOF comment was just silly.

Well I just doubled checked and yes, as I stated, Schaub threw 15 TDs and 10 picks, with the great Andre Johnson, correct me if I'm wrong..........

And IMO, I don't think he justifies a swap of 1's and 2-2's. The Texans could have done much better for what they gave up. Not to mention, he's an injury waiting to happen.

Do I think Cassel is better, yes I really do and he's worth more than a #2, I'm just stating what I feel the true market is for Cassel right now, it's no higher than a #2 and I hope BB realizes this and settles for that high R2 that he'll be offered, because it won't get higher.

Last edited:
Riddler, have you ever paid too much for something?

Ever been a millionaire wanting to gain notoriety for your sports team by making a splash?

This deal will undoubtedly be more than it should be. And our Patriots will be the benefactors. You have to bear in mind the seemingly low average IQ of some of these football organizations...

Last edited:
Riddler, have you ever paid too much for something?

Ever been a millionaire wanting to gain notoriety for your sports team by making a splash?

This deal will undoubtedly be more than it should be. And our Patriots will be the benefactors. You have to bear in mind the seemingly low average IQ of some of these football organizations...

JSn, if you had to bet right now, do you honestly believe we are going to get a #1 for Cassel ? Be honest, I hope you're right, I hope some team parts with their 1, but who would do it ? Detroit was wining and dining Matt Stafford last night for dinner, you know which direction they're going especially after the Culpepper deal. The SF GM has publicly stated that they are not in the Matt Cassel sweepstakes. Carolina doesn't have a #1 (they do have Peppers though) and SP will never give up that #3 for Cassel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft