Welcome to PatsFans.com

Reiss: Cassel most likely to KC

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by reflexblue, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet... I saw Reiss tonight on NESN he said that he felt Brady would be back this year, and that 29 million dollars worth of QB's was to much. He went on to say that he felt Cassel would be traded by draft day, and that KC was the most likely team to trade for him.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. OhExaulted1

OhExaulted1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 3 / -1

My Jersey:

#15 Jersey
    Re: Reiss Cassel most likly to KC

#34 this year and their 1st next year. I don't expect things to get to intricate with later round picks unless incenctive clauses are included or pick-swaps.
  3. Brettlax3434

Brettlax3434 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

sounds good to me
  4. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Not to beat a dead horse but that would give the Pats 6 picks in the first 100
    with their own in each of rounds 1,2, and 3 plus the SD#2 from last year and an anticipated 3rd for Asante Samuel, based on the size of his contract....plus the presumed one from KC.....
  5. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

They'd be the least likely team to give up too much though. :(
  6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Pioli isn't going to give up multiple high picks for Cassel.
  7. Free_Pacman

Free_Pacman Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What about this?

Cassel and #24
    for
    #3 and a 3rd rounder

Then trade the #3 to someone like the Niners at 10 for #10 and next year's first.

So we lose Cassel and #24 for #10, SF's 2010 first, and a 2009 third.
  8. nantucketguy

nantucketguy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

That's a good point. Do you think that may be too much youth? That we might trade up to target 3-4 players who would be more impact players? That might save some roster space to land a key free agent....
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  9. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The Pats often trade their third rounders. But anyway, I've been arguing that if the Pats actually use 5+ high picks, plus whatever late comp picks they have, there won't be a lot of room for other picks on the roster.
  10. The_Riddler

The_Riddler Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Not a chance. No way does SP give up his 2010 #1 when he is in a pure rebuilding mode over there, not a chance. Would he part with the #34?, yes, but anything more than that even in 2010 would be a conditional pick that would be protected and no higher than a 3rd.
  11. ScottieC

ScottieC Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Well, he would give it up to acquire a potential franchise QB, the face of the franchise for the next 6-8 years.

That would be the ultimate foundation for the rebuilding.

Or, he can throw the dice and try and grab lighting in a bottle with a top pick and deal a whole bunch of $$'s for a guy that's never played a snap in the NFL.

I'll take The Cassel - You take the Rookie.
  12. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Ditto that, Scottie C.
  13. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think their Nr. 1 next yearwould be based on 2 things. Playing timeand their record. That way if Cassel gets hurt KC protected. Maybe 75%. I think the Bledsoe trade had something like that. And, could also be Top 10 protected. Meaning, if KC picks in Top 10. Pick falls to 2nd round.
  14. bakes781

bakes781 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think one way or another we'll know the fate of Matt Cassel once the Chiefs make their selection at #3. If they take Sanchez then look for Minnesota and Tampa to start calling. If they pass on a QB then expect them to be offering up that 2nd round pick.
  15. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Personally I think Pioli signs a vet like Garcia and drafts Sanchez who will be brought along slowly

I think Pioli will not pay big dollars for a QB with a team in rebuilding mode and which he must spread out the cap money well,Cassel would cost much more than Garcia or some other vet QB - I say KC drafts Sanchez with the #3and polishes him up for a shot to start in 2010
  16. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -1

My Jersey:

And you think that Sanchez at #3 isn't going to cost big dollars on top of Garcia's coin?
  17. JoeShmoe

JoeShmoe Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Or ( as everyone seems to forget) Thigpen isnt actually a bad QB, played well towards the end of last season and they choose to draft a franchise LT round 1 or trade down and pick up 2 very good defensive players

KC (to me) seems like one of the least likely destinations. I would have put Detroit, Minnesota and even Carolina higher
  18. jsull87

jsull87 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

so can this be clarified? is the only reason people are really saying that KC is likley because pioli is now there? cause all i have heard from kc fans is how much they like t-pen. i would have thought the "most likley" were detroit n minny.
  19. ScottieC

ScottieC Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Yea, Clearly he's not giving Scott much credit for being a very smart Cap guy.

Plus - I don't care what you say, I got no faith in Sanchez, he played on a great team and he started 16 games (give or take) - That is the resume of a Top 10 pick? I don't think so - Look for him to slide like Quinn.
  20. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -1

My Jersey:

Chiefs fans seem to have a strong disagreement with your analysis of Thigpen.
  21. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think maybe we throw the word "analysis" aroun a little too freely here... ;)
  22. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Like i said in the thread starter Reiss said that the pats don't want to pay out 29 million for two QB's, and that he thought Cassel would end up being traded to KC Before the draft. That Pioli had drafted him and that he knew what he had in Cassel (a young starting QB) vs drafting a rookie QB which is a gamble. The part highlighted was the implication.
  23. bakes781

bakes781 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think Pioli is going to want to make his stamp on this team early. He's already replaced the HC and I think his next move will be to bring in a new signal caller. Whether that be through the draft or FA we shall see.
  24. PatsDparty

PatsDparty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I was tempted to post this last week, but a friend of mine (who works for a certain network who shall not be named around here haha) said that he heard Cassel was going to KC. He did not give me any talk of what compensation would be sent to the Pats, but just said that discussions were ongoing. I would not start a thread based on this, but figured I'd add it to this one. All it really tells me is that there are probably discussions going on that involve trading cassel (since some still think the pats will keep him as insurance).
  25. patfanken

patfanken Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

#91 Jersey
    I've been thinking about this one. The Pats trade Cassel to KC for Tony Gonsalez, a 2010 2nd and swap their picks in end and 3rd round this year.

KC gets a PROVEN Franchise QB who has played at the highest levels and succeeded, AND still has upside.

They Pats get a player they can use in the short term and one who doesn't want to be in KC any way.

Meanwhile KC STILL has at least one pick in each round, while the Pats move up SIGNIFICANTLY in both rounds. Having the 35th pick is about the same as having the 32nd. I read where "they" said there were 37 players that have first round grades coming out.

BTW- taking a QB early in the first round is such a crap shoot. Even the successes like Manning, Rivers, and the kid with the Bengals contributed little or nothing until year 2 or 3, while the fact remains more than half don't even earn their rookie contracts.

Scott would be well served to have a QB like Cassel as a big part of his rebuilding and the cost is a guy who doesn't want to be there and moving down in a couple of rounds
  26. A.C Vegas

A.C Vegas Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

why would they trade a young QB for and old TE when they can jsut take a pick in the second or third round and draft a young TE to compete with Watson and Thomas.
  27. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

There have been some well thought-out possible trade scenarios in the previous comments; I do agree that Cassel-to-KC is a distinct possibility. I also want to comment that the scenario of the Chiefs drafting Sanchez and also signing Garcia shouldn't hurt them capwise because I don't think Garcia will cost that much. He's already stated that "I feel I can still contribute. I'm not sure what my role will be with another team. I'm not looking at it like I need to start and be the man. Hopefully, I'll have some opportunities out there. I'm pretty sure there's going to be something out there for me." That sounds to me like a guy willing to be a backup - and accept backup pay.

One thing I believe nobody has mentioned however, is that the Chiefs just announced they will change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense next year. That's going to mean that they are going to need to bring in multiple players that can fit the new defensive scheme - which means they probably don't want to be collecting draft picks, not trading them away.

If that's the case I can see them sticking with Thigpen in 2009 and then making a decision after the season whether they want to stick with him, or draft a QB in 2010.
  28. JoeShmoe

JoeShmoe Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Well I dont think he's that good myself and from what I see KC had to run some pretty wacky offensive schemes just to have him move the ball. Im sure Pioli and the new coach there will decide if he's the one to take them forward

To me this comes down to Pioli and where he grades Stafford or Sanchez in terms of a first round pick. If he thinks either is top 5, I think KC takes one of them at #3. If they don't, then I see Pioli trading down to take an OT and a DE/LB and then offering the high #2nd for Cassel - you know fine well he'll be aware what BB and the NE FO value him at

What I wonder though is will someone trade for Cassel before draft day? Because I assume that limits a lot of options for teams depending how it pans out
  29. CanadianPat'sFan

CanadianPat'sFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

:agree:

Scott P. and BB are going to work out a deal that makes both parties happy. Cassel I could see going to KC as they will pick up a top defensive player avaliable with their #3 pick (Curry, Orakpo, Raja or Jenkins) and trade their 34 to us as well as a veteran player which would help us this year. I think a vet like Bernard Pollard (please do not ban me as he ended TB's season last year) would be a huge addition and could fill our SS position right away and this kid is always blocking kicks. Tony Gonzalez on the field with Moss and Welker would be tough to cover as if they were on separate teams the would all demand double coverage. Pair that with Watson in a double TE set ace backfield with TB running the show I know defenses will be screwed.

KC I thought had the best draft last year picking up a top DL and OL on my draft board (after Jake Long) plus a top corner who produced in his rookie year. I think Flowers is a total Tampa Two type corner who can can be physical and set the edge better then many CB in the NFL. I think Glen Dorsey will have a great sophomore campaign and Brandan Albert having a full year at LT under his belt will guard MC backside. I could see them going with Curry at #3 as Donnie Edwards must be 35 by now and pair him opposite Derrick Johnson would help their defense a lot. KC had a ton of picks last year and I think will attack the FA market this year and with a boatload of money to spend.

They get their #3 to draft the top defensive player, plus receive a franchise QB. We would receive #34 (good spot for players who slipped out of the first round) plus an established vet to help us this year on our SB run. I think BB is a genius when he has draft picks as he could put a few in the bank for 2010 or move up to grab a player he has targeted.
  30. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Someone brought up the trade scenario of KC's 2nd this year and their 1st next...If KC did that they could then trade its '09 first for multiple picks this year. Maybe someone else's 1st and 2nd 4th ?... what ever. That way they could still go after the defensive help they need. I'm sure Pioli would rather trade that #3 pick over all for 2-3 picks this year or next.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.