PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Cassel most likely to KC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I think Cassel is better, yes I really do and he's worth more than a #2, I'm just stating what I feel the true market is for Cassel right now, it's no higher than a #2 and I hope BB realizes this and settles for that high R2 that he'll be offered, because it won't get higher.

I agree. In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. What we think of Cassel (we are obviously biased) doesnt mean a jot. What matters is what other FO's value him at relative to their overall needs. If you're picking at say #10 and theres a franchise LB to be had, is that more important for your team than Cassel? Make no mistake they will study him, look at the opposition he played against, the no of games he's played and value him. To me that is likely to be a high #2nd as you say

What Matt Schaub has to do with anything ive no idea....at the time the Texans FO valued him where they did...doesnt mean anyone thinks that's the 'price' for MC

Last edited:
JSn, if you had to bet right now, do you honestly believe we are going to get a #1 for Cassel ? Be honest, I hope you're right, I hope some team parts with their 1, but who would do it ? Detroit was wining and dining Matt Stafford last night for dinner, you know which direction they're going especially after the Culpepper deal. The SF GM has publicly stated that they are not in the Matt Cassel sweepstakes. Carolina doesn't have a #1 (they do have Peppers though) and SP will never give up that #3 for Cassel.

I think the Pats will get more than this for Cassel, but what if all they can get is, say, a 3rd rounder? That's still better than letting Cassel go for nothing. The Pats are going to get *something* useful for Cassel; if it's not as much as we would have hoped for, so be it. Whatever it is, it will be better than if they had simply let Cassel walk.

JSn, if you had to bet right now, do you honestly believe we are going to get a #1 for Cassel ? Be honest, I hope you're right, I hope some team parts with their 1, but who would do it ? Detroit was wining and dining Matt Stafford last night for dinner, you know which direction they're going especially after the Culpepper deal. The SF GM has publicly stated that they are not in the Matt Cassel sweepstakes. Carolina doesn't have a #1 (they do have Peppers though) and SP will never give up that #3 for Cassel.

Yes I think they can get a number one or swap picks with Pioli and a second.

Minn. and Chicago are the players. Minn. might be a QB from a Super Bowl run and has to sell tickets. They have some decent WRs.
How about Winfield and their #1? He is 32 but just comes off a Pro Bowl year so he is still playing at a high level. He starts day one here.

How about this shocker? Urlacher and the Bears second rounder #49 and a forth for Cassel. Would ya?
DW Toys

Riddler the thinking makes no sense. They paid 2 #2 picks for Schaub because the QB position is so important. The fact he didn't pan out doesn't mean nobody else will do it in the future.

QB's are routinely picked high in the draft, given tons of money, fail, and teams STILL do it regardless of history.

Same thing with trading for a QB. The price for Cassel will remain high.

Well put!!

Riddler the value of a top 10-15 QB in the NFL is worth alot which he was last year. He has the intangibles (scrambling, strong arm and at the end of the year read defenses much quicker). Minny, Chi, SF, TB, Det, Car and a couple of others are in the market for a QB and please do not tell me that McCown is the answer in TB.

BB is playing it cool like he does not care if he keep a hold of Cassel as insurance and as you pointed out Det are drinking with an under aged kid who unlike Matt Ryan and Falcco will only be 21 y/o not 23 if he is thrown into the mix.

Team throw foolish draft picks away in order to shore up a weakness in the league. Jared Allan was worth a ton of picks last year and a top pass rusher is valued as highly as a franchise QB. I brought up the Matt Schaub as an example of a team with a starter in place and their back up is good enough to start in the NFL. A trade to another team is the way to get this guy on the field and the team will only be losing their #2 guy not their main man.

Matt Schaub is not a failure yet as he has battled injuries. When health he has D-Coordinators worried and he will only get better as time goes on so my verdict on the trade is that the jury is still out.

Toy's,

I would pull the trigger on a trade for Urlacher in a second as he would be an awesome SILB for us and keep Thomas outside where he can wreak havok. I know that Urlacher has played in a 4-3 for a while but think he could make the adjustment pretty quickly. He is tough and does not miss too much time and his presence on the field would take Bruschi spot.

Last edited:
I would pull the trigger on a trade for Urlacher in a second as he would be an awesome SILB for us and keep Thomas outside where he can wreak havok. I know that Urlacher has played in a 4-3 for a while but think he could make the adjustment pretty quickly. He is tough and does not miss too much time and his presence on the field would take Bruschi spot.

I'm sorry, I like Urlacher, but I just don't see him as a 3-4 SILB by any stretch of the imagination. Wouldn't make a move for him.

Cassel's trade value will be determined by supply and demand. There are a limited number of QBs capable of performing at the level that Cassel performed last year, and an even fewer number who are young and who will improve. To quote the former governor of Illinois, you just don't give something that valuable away for free (sorry, couldn't resist). It would probably be to everyone's benefit to make a move sooner rather than later, but if teams are going to be stingy then I think BB will sit tight and wait until someone starts to get antsy, whether at draft time or in training camp.

I think the Pats will get more than this for Cassel, but what if all they can get is, say, a 3rd rounder? That's still better than letting Cassel go for nothing.

Actually, no its not. If he was a free agent, they're get a 3rd round comp for him.

Urlacher would lose his spot in about 15 minutes to alexander or guyton or some other semi-scrub. Hes quick, but he can't fight off blocks at all. He would be a liability in the 3-4.

(I live in chicago now, and see a lot of the bears)

Minn. and Chicago are the players.

I don't think Chicago is a player here. Orton looked pretty good this year.

I'd say Minn, Tampa, SF, KC, and even maybe Tennesee are players.

Actually, no its not. If he was a free agent, they're get a 3rd round comp for him.

That depends on whether they nabb some free agents of worth this year.

Urlacher would lose his spot in about 15 minutes to alexander or guyton or some other semi-scrub. Hes quick, but he can't fight off blocks at all. He would be a liability in the 3-4.

(I live in chicago now, and see a lot of the bears)

I thought I would get some heat on the Urlacher comment but here was my reasoning.

While I agree that he thrives being covered up most of the time and he uses his speed to roam the field and make plays in the passing game as well as the run. He is getting older and is 30 y/o now and is not getting faster and he knows this. He has the size at 258 to play the position he just needs to take on Guards and Tackles which we have all seen him do in the past. He is not the best but something he as gotten better at the last couple of seasons. Before he was using his speed to beat blockers aswell as the scheme played to his strengths.

NE does go with a 4 DL set many time throughout the game to put him in a position to be "covered up" I do realize he is not the pass rusher we would like out of that position but he is a tough SOB who has not missed a game since 2004. He is a leader and I am sure BB would be able to use his strengths to improve the defense. With Teddy, Rodney and Mike V. approaching the end with the Pats he would be a nice leader to help the young kids.

I see your sides but he is a great player IMO and BB would find a spot for him.

Last edited:

Ah...didn't realize that. Ok then, if all they get is a *2nd* rounder, it's better than letting him walk. :)

Ah...didn't realize that. Ok then, if all they get is a *2nd* rounder, it's better than letting him walk. :)

Remember--the comp pick is in 2010, so a 2009 3rd would be (a wee bit) better. ;)

Re: Reiss Cassel most likly to KC

Not to beat a dead horse but that would give the Pats 6 picks in the first 100
with their own in each of rounds 1,2, and 3 plus the SD#2 from last year and an anticipated 3rd for Asante Samuel, based on the size of his contract....plus the presumed one from KC.....

3 picks in the 2nd round?? that would be awesome! :singing:

This guy thinks the Lions might make a serious run at Cassel:

Draft Headquarters Blog Blog Archive Inside Info

I had the chance to speak with one of my sources down here in Indianapolis. Here’s what he had to say:

- The Lions are currently seriously considering dealing for Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel. According to my source, New England is “actively looking to deal him.”

I think the Pats have always had NO intention of keeping Cassel. Even if Brady wasnt ready to start the season, we have O'Connell. We have to get maximum value off of Cassel right now because of the season he had. Our front office isnt stupid....they know he has to go if we want to get younger and improve our team.

How would they ever talk Matt into going to play for those rejects?

I will say this, Detroit is only 3 hours away and from what I hear they will reduce ticket prices this year. If Matty goes to Rock City, I just might meet up with my Bro-In Law and check out a game.

But I like Matt. Detroit... blech.

How would they ever talk Matt into going to play for those rejects?

I will say this, Detroit is only 3 hours away and from what I hear they will reduce ticket prices this year. If Matty goes to Rock City, I just might meet up with my Bro-In Law and check out a game.

But I like Matt. Detroit... blech.

You be Matt and I'll try to give you hope...

"Matt, here's a buttload of cash. You'll be handing off to a pretty good running back named Kevin Smith. Even on last season's crap team, he averaged better than 4 yards per carry. Also, you'll be throwing passes to a wide receiver who may be the greatest talent at the position since Randy Moss. I'd like to introduce you to Calvin Johnson.

Oh, and Matt, since we traded our lower first round pick for you, we were able to get you a franchise tackle with the #1 overall pick. We're going to do everything we can to keep you safe back there. And, Matt, did I mention that we have $26 million dollars the cap to sign you, our picks, AND free agents?"

You be Matt and I'll try to give you hope...

"Matt, here's a buttload of cash. You'll be handing off to a pretty good running back named Kevin Smith. Even on last season's crap team, he averaged better than 4 yards per carry. Also, you'll be throwing passes to a wide receiver who may be the greatest talent at the position since Randy Moss. I'd like to introduce you to Calvin Johnson.

Oh, and Matt, since we traded our lower first round pick for you, we were able to get you a franchise tackle with the #1 overall pick. We're going to do everything we can to keep you safe back there. And, Matt, did I mention that we have $26 million dollars the cap to sign you, our picks, AND free agents?"

LOL - you had me at $26 million, actually. I'd probably move to Motown for that. Plus Bakers Keyboard Lounge is a wicked jazz bar. That's the deal-clincher!

You know what... I wouldn't mind at all. I've never disliked KC until they got Herm, who's just the sorriest excuse for a coach I've ever seen, but now with Pioli (and possibly Cassel) I won't mind pulling for them just a little. And I especially admire their fanbase and the way they get that stadium rocking every Sunday no matter how sh*tty they are.

This guy thinks the Lions might make a serious run at Cassel:

From a little over a week ago, this is what he said about his value :

"- The two favorites for Matt Cassel are Detroit and Kansas City. With Detroit, it’s believed that they would give up at least the No. 20 selection that they obtained for wide receiver Roy Williams from the Cowboys. For the Chiefs, they would likely swap their No. 3 pick with New England’s No. 23 pick. The team that doesn’t land Cassel would likely take Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes