PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rehash...Butler interception was not a bad play call

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, it doesn't and I'm not calling him horrible but it doesn't change the fact that that was on Russell Wilson. Perhaps I have too high expectations but I do expect every QB in the NFL in a 2 minute offense to make sure they can get the play off without calling a timeout.
In fairness, you didn't say it was "horrible," you said it was "terrible." My bad. :)

The first TO was indefensible; especially since it occurred after the clock had been stopped for an Incomplete Pass and Wilson and the O-line were still within a few yards of the Line of Scrimmage.

I think the second TO is debatable. Everybody was reacting as though the Line of Scrimmage would be the 38. I think it's reasonable that even a "very good" (but not "great") QB might not have his team in place 33 yards farther down the field under those circumstances. However, the other side of that coin is that the clock had stopped when Kearse went out of bounds and that arguably should have given Wilson the opportunity he needed to adjust.

So, it's debatable, I'll grant you that. I just wouldn't call it horri-terri-ble.

It is OK to Monday morning QB, but I think there is a huge danger here of overcomplicating. On the eye test, I was happy to see Wilson drop back to throw. Carroll would have been a 'genius' if it had worked, but Lynch should have been running that ball.

I also think Gore should have run against Baltimore. When you have an elite RB who is really hurting the opposition, run the damn ball.

Still, unless Browner and Butler play that play as well as they did, we aren't even talking about this; we are talking about 'juggle catch'.

Go on, boys!

I'm sorry but if had worked Carroll would not have been a genius because that play call is a routine call on the goal line in the NFL.He did not reinvent the wheel on that play call.That play is like running a power o every nfl team runs it.It's easy to call plays wrong it hindsight, and success of a play also depends on execution.If Seattle executed well it would have been an incompletion at worst.

I'm sorry but if had worked Carroll would not have been a genius because that play call is a routine call on the goal line in the NFL.He did not reinvent the wheel on that play call.That play is like running a power o every nfl team runs it.It's easy to call plays wrong it hindsight, and success of a play also depends on execution.If Seattle executed well it would have been an incompletion at worst.

For most teams yes, i would agree...but when you have Lynch, or the mobility of Wilson, you run the ball. Hey, you could run with Wilson, and if it blows up, chuck the ball away.

For THAT team, it was the wrong call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference