PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reggie Wayne?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedster822

Rookie
Reaction score
While taking a look at this years list of players currently heading towards free agency...I noticed that Reggie Wayne will become a unrestricted free agent. Anybody suppose the Pats will take a run at him? My first though was no, but they did try and make a play at Derrick Mason last offseason...

ted

tedster822 said:
While taking a look at this years list of players currently heading towards free agency...I noticed that Reggie Wayne will become a unrestricted free agent. Anybody suppose the Pats will take a run at him? My first though was no, but they did try and make a play at Derrick Mason last offseason...

ted
Wayne is a system/Turf WR IMO

Not going to be worth the money he'd get (to the Pats). I'd rather resign Givens since I think they'll be around the same $$.

PatsRI said:
Not going to be worth the money he'd get (to the Pats). I'd rather resign Givens since I think they'll be around the same $$.

Someone is going to give Reggie Wayne #1 money. And I'm not ruling out the Colts. But he's going to get top 5 WR money. He's been the de facto #1 on that team for 2 years, and he's in his prime.

dryheat44 said:
Someone is going to give Reggie Wayne #1 money. And I'm not ruling out the Colts. But he's going to get top 5 WR money. He's been the de facto #1 on that team for 2 years, and he's in his prime.

Strengthens my point even more. I'd rather have Givens for less.

I think Moulds may be the guy we target, instead of Wayne.

As much as I'd love him back next year, I don't think we'll give Givens what we could get on an open market.

Too much youth?

stinkypete said:

As much as I'd love him back next year, I don't think we'll give Givens what we could get on an open market.

There is something to be said for having a few "old pros" on the roster. As the Patriots get younger perhaps there is too much youth. Right now the oldest prospective starter on the Offense would be 31 year old "graybeard" Cory Dillon. It is possible that you need a couple of older role models who are hungry. Moulds has been to Super Bowlss but has never won one, and time is running out. He's a definite #1 who is fading to a #2, but he does have some size and speed, and is also crafty.

The Defense has had older stabilizing guys but they are down to three "oldies but goodies" and Rodney may not make it back, leaving only Tedy and Willie as starters.

AzPatsFan said:
There is something to be said for having a few "old pros" on the roster. As the Patriots get younger perhaps there is too much youth. Right now the oldest prospective starter on the Offense would be 31 year old "graybeard" Cory Dillon. It is possible that you need a couple of older role models who are hungry. Moulds has been to Super Bowlss but has never won one, and time is running out. He's a definite #1 who is fading to a #2, but he does have some size and speed, and is also crafty.

The Defense has had older stabilizing guys but they are down to three "oldies but goodies" and Rodney may not make it back, leaving only Tedy and Willie as starters.

Moulds has not gone to a super bowl. But I think he would be a good addition to the team as long as his incident from last year was an isolated one.

I don't think that Reggie is going anywhere. I'm pretty sure that Polian has said that he will resign him and franchise him if need be.

stinkypete said:

I agree stinky

Colts are at cap without Wayne or Edge signed. If they franchise Edge
again it's a 20% raise. 10M. Doubt they can afford wayne. Philly is going
to put a big push in to sign Wayne. They are under the cap and
will need a wr when they release TO.

My guesses 1. R.Wayne to Philly
2. E.James re-ups with Colts,

Here's a link with teams cap numbers

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

patsfaninpa said:
Colts are at cap without Wayne or Edge signed. If they franchise Edge
again it's a 20% raise. 10M. Doubt they can afford wayne. Philly is going
to put a big push in to sign Wayne. They are under the cap and
will need a wr when they release TO.

My guesses 1. R.Wayne to Philly
2. E.James re-ups with Colts,

Here's a link with teams cap numbers

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

The Colts won't franchise Edge again. If they re-sign him it will be to a multi-year deal with a much lower cap number.

tedster822 said:

ted

That's funny, on the Colts board, there's a thread about the Colts should get Givens.

http://www2.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135761

workhorse said:
The Colts won't franchise Edge again. If they re-sign him it will be to a multi-year deal with a much lower cap number.

I thought James wanted to go to Miami.

Last edited:
I think that Given will be gone ala Patten for pretty decent money. Moulds would be a strong addition. I have respected is play for years and other than one isolated incident this year has been a stand-up teammate.

harveyw said:
I think that Given will be gone ala Patten for pretty decent money. Moulds would be a strong addition. I have respected is play for years and other than one isolated incident this year has been a stand-up teammate.

The more that I hear the possiblity of signing Moulds...the more that it makes sense...and...I would have think that signing him, wouldn't break the bank.

Willie55 said:
I thought James wanted to go to Miami.

People in the media have said that, I don't know that Edge has said it himself. Everyone assumes that since he is from Florida and went to Miami that he naturally would want to play for Miami. He might, but he has said that he likes playing in Indy and likes their management. There is no way Edge will end up in Miami with Ricky and Ronnie Brown there now.

workhorse said:
People in the media have said that, I don't know that Edge has said it himself. Everyone assumes that since he is from Florida and went to Miami that he naturally would want to play for Miami. He might, but he has said that he likes playing in Indy and likes their management. There is no way Edge will end up in Miami with Ricky and Ronnie Brown there now.

Ricky won't be there (Miami) opening day. But Edge and Ronnie doesn't make much sense either. I don't think either Wayne or James will be on the Colts next year. The contracts they gave out to Harrison and Stokley were unbelievably stupidly shortsighted. James will be carrying the ball in Jacksonville or Carolina...possibly New York Manginis.

well

i think one of them will be back, i just don't know which one! I know philly will make a big play for wayne. who knows with edge, he prob wants to go to miami, but they don't need him now--so he may stay depending on the price. if the dolts sign him though, are ghey going to use him? I mean the one "sustained" drive they had sunday used him to set up PA---then after that they went away and let PM throw the ball. He may want to go somewhere that has more balance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft