PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox vs Angels?

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Ok now we won the division title. And that's great. That's the first time the Sox have won the pennant in a long time. But now to the present. Do you guys think we have enough to beat the Angels? What do you think of Francona's decision to have Daisuke pitch game 2 instead of Schilling? I probably would have gone with Schilling in game 2 since he has more experience and DiceK, much as I like him, has looked shaky in the second half.

I feel very confident in this series. Lackey always has trouble against Boston, Escobar has been terrible and injured this month (although much better in his last start), and Shields, who is already struggling, owns a 17.65ERA and .405BAA at Fenway. All together they have pitched to the tune of a 4.71ERA in September, worst among all playoff teams (AL and NL). Their offense has scored the fewest number of runs this month among all playoff teams, while hitting the fewest number of home runs and doubles. Unless this series comes down the a battle of stolen bases, Boston should easily come away with a win.

As far as Matsuzaka over Schilling... I don't like the move, but Matsuzaka has been pitching better as of late. They gave him a little extra rest between starts a while ago and it helped: 3.98ERA, 1.27WHIP, 9.74k/9 in his last 3 starts. Not awesome, but still very solid.

I like the Angels as an opponent. They're one of those teams which will help you out by running into outs and swinging at bad pitches early in the count. They're the anti-Yankees (who I hate facing) like that.

I do not like facing their pitching. Their bullpen is really good, lessening the effect of taking pitches and getting to the bullpen. I really hope their ownage of Lackey is part of a trend and not a fluke. If so they should win fairly easily. If not, their starting pitching is really good and it will be a tough series.

As for the decision to pitch Daisuke in game 2, I can't say I'd have made the same decision. Daisuke is such a wildcard right now. I wonder if it means that the Sox don't expect much from Schilling and basically know that the only way they're winning it all is if Daisuke steps up. If that's the case you might as well pitch him and hope.

I do like Schilling pitching in California over Daisuke. I could see Daisuke melting down more quickly with a hostile crowd. Both games Daisuke pitches (game 5 if necessary) are in Fenway.

I think your game 2 decision is good news for us (Halos). Because if we lose Game 1, then we still have a good shot of at least getting a split.

And if Lackey's troubles with you guys was a fluke, and he is on his game in Game 1, we could win that one, too. Then I think frankly it would be near-crazy not to go with Schilling in game 2.

Unless of course you really don't think he's your second best option anymore.

As to running into outs, it's true. But that aggressive base running often pays dividends -- ESPN reported that by the stat-geek's analyses, we have the best 1st to 3d base running in the league.

Bottom line: Coin toss, IMO.

Boston is going to destroy the Angels. The Angels entire OF is hurt & hobbling. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox swept, or won 3-1. Bad match-up for the Angels.

Boston is going to destroy the Angels. The Angels entire OF is hurt & hobbling. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox swept, or won 3-1. Bad match-up for the Angels.

I hope you are right as this whole tournament seems to be a exercise in attrition, and the healthiest team in the end wins.. imo the season is too long.

i think we win easy...but i hope we face the Indians because my heart cannot take another Sox-Yanks series.

Logic tells me that the ALCS will be BOS/CLE. Largely because LAA is hurting and never plays well in Fenway, and I don't think that any team will be able to win a 5 game series when they have to face Carmona and Sabathia 3 times.

Of course logic in baseball never go hand in hand, so a LAA/NYY ALCS is a near certainty.

Last edited:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back