PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Real Football Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of the number of options for each play and each receiver, each receiver can play a different position depending on the personnel grouping, this involves both pre and post snap reads by all the skill players. Smart receivers excel the low football iq ones fail.

Randy Moss vs Ocho for example.
It's one of the benefits of the Erhardt-Perkins system that we run. The same play can be run from a bunch of different formations and personel groupings, which is nice because it gives a lot of flexibility within the same play. The problem is that the players really have to understand the principle and philosophy of the play, so that they don't just know "I'm a slot receiver, I run a 10 yard out". Because that might be what you do from the I formation with a slot left, no TE, and the FB runs a quick out. Then you might have the same play, with trips and this receiver we talked about is now lined up closest to the OL. He now runs the route that the full back had, so he has the quick out, not the 10 yard out.

This is just one part of it, and it's simple example. But it shows the thinking you have to do. You have to understand why the formation/personel is changed, and how you are affected by it. You have to know everybodys role on the offense, so that you can . Otherwise you will have to do a whole bunch of thinking every snap to know what to do.

Then on top of that you have what you mentioned, which is pre and post snap reads where the route changes. So it's a lot to learn in the offense, even for just one play.

I like the term 'concepts' rather than play. IMO it encapsulates the flexibility and complexity of the Pats O.

It's funny that Brady was called a system qb when the system demands more of the qb mentally than any other 'system'.

Remember when Manning was seen as the most cerebral qb, his system isn't nearly as demanding. Ask R Wayne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back