PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to “The Dynasty”

Butler probably snapped at Steve after a) he did something that he shouldn't have done, or b) he overreacted to something minor. Belichick benched him for lashing out at his son Steve.

That's the best explanation, because it would show why both don't want to say anything. It makes both of them look bad.
That wouldn't qualify as personal. Going off on your coach is football related.

Kraft took this outside of these possible explanations.

I think Kraft just didn't think thru every word he used. But he did say it and there is so little we do know.

So for the very few still left in BB’s corner with the Eagles SB.

If Bill had sufficient reason to not play Butler for that SB then why did he put him in for a snap on special teams?

I am not a fan of Bill Belichick at all. I also believe that he in fact has been responsible entirely for the train wreck wefind ourselves in in 2024. However, I am very disappointed that Bob Kraft had to throw Bill under the bus like this, just to cover his own butt. BB has not really said a word and maybe it’s because he knows he was to blame.
However, at the press conference Kraft hel to announce Bill being fired he pretended that he was on good terms with Bill and that was phony bologne. After this dynasty TV series, I am willing to bet that Bill will hate Bob Kraft for eternity. Bob Kraft has completely stained Bill’s legacy. Yes Bill will make it into the Hall of Fame but he is absolutely now not on the shortlist for greatest coaches of all time. Kraft could’ve just left it alone and kept quiet.but he was more interested in cementing his own legacy. Certainly no loyalty to Bill whatsoever.
If Kraft had any balls he should have fired or traded bill after the Malcolm Butler benching.

No he didn't. Bill made it personal by how he over reacted. That's the whole point. He didn't think about what was best for the team.

If Bill had sufficient reason to not play Butler for that SB then why did he put him in for a snap on special teams?
To humiliate him. Bill made it personal. Kraft is right.

No replacement on ST?

By the way, I haven't read of a single person who said Butler's absence didn't hurt them.

So, for all the Bill haters... let's flip your question on its ear. If Belichick played Butler, then that must mean he wasn't benched or punished for anything despite what Kraft claims.

Hated the documentary. While I’m the first to say Bill stuck around too long (should have at least been fired after the Matt P/Joe Judge trainwreck if not the disastrous free agent signings a few years back), I also deeply dislike what was an obvious attempt by Kraft to make himself look good.

It has forever changed my opinion of Kraft and not in a positive way.

The way they went about hiring Mayo had already moved me in that direction as it appears he simply hired the best brown-noser.

Hope I’m wrong on Mayo, but sure looks like they wanted a yes man.

Definitely a large part of the mystery.

I am not a fan of Bill Belichick at all. I also believe that he in fact has been responsible entirely for the train wreck wefind ourselves in in 2024. However, I am very disappointed that Bob Kraft had to throw Bill under the bus like this, just to cover his own butt. BB has not really said a word and maybe it’s because he knows he was to blame.
However, at the press conference Kraft hel to announce Bill being fired he pretended that he was on good terms with Bill and that was phony bologne. After this dynasty TV series, I am willing to bet that Bill will hate Bob Kraft for eternity. Bob Kraft has completely stained Bill’s legacy. Yes Bill will make it into the Hall of Fame but he is absolutely now not on the shortlist for greatest coaches of all time. Kraft could’ve just left it alone and kept quiet.but he was more interested in cementing his own legacy. Certainly no loyalty to Bill whatsoever.
If Kraft had any balls he should have fired or traded bill after the Malcolm Butler benching.
He's absolutely still on top of the list of greatest of all time. And there's only a very short list that can even attempt to claim otherwise. Not sure how or what you think about this documentary that changes this fact.

To humiliate him. Bill made it personal. Kraft is right.
Well that's certainly a different take on personal but Butler certainly doesn't act like someone who was humiliated by Bill so I don't think it's accurate. But as I keep saying you can come up with 100s of theories but without the facts it's all just conjecture.

I guess the best answer I can come up with is that playing in the SB still means something maybe instead of actively embarrassing as someone else is suggesting maybe he was just still giving him one snap in the SB.

I guess the best answer I can come up with is that playing in the SB still means something maybe instead of actively embarrassing as someone else is suggesting maybe he was just still giving him one snap in the SB.
If he was on the punt return unit, the Eagles only punted once that day.

Of course, the Patriots never punted, so if he was on the punt unit, he would've only had one snap since there was only one punt by either team that day.

Just watched the whole series in 3 days. As a long time fan and season ticket holder. All I ever wanted was 1 Superbowl. SB36 was so magical and amazing. I was very thankful for it. I was one of the few people in Binghamton NY wearing a Patriots winter jacket(and Patriots bumper stickers on my truck) at the time and received many phone calls and emails about the Patriots winning. The series brought back some of those memories for me. I really liked seeing some the behind the scenes shots that have not been made public. The series makes you dislike Bob and Bill a little bit. It also kinda pointed out a few things to me. 1. We got some great karma to beat the mighty Rams in SB36. We had to pay it back in the loss to the Giants. The Giants had one of most unreal catches in the first Superbowl. But we also got that back when Edelman made a similar unreal catch in the Falcons SB. How come there has not been 1 GATE for another NFL team(Like the Chiefs). How come the Patriots only get the Deflategates and Spygates of the NFL? Over all it was a good ride though history even with all the negatives that were in it.

If Belichick is soft on players, they don't win against Seattle or Atlanta, and we're not even discussing this.,

There's a huge difference between being hard or soft on players and committing football suicide in the last moment of a long season.

His SB 52 benching of Malcolm Butler was not "in the best interests of the team". Period.

It was selfish on his part - - Amendola's words in that documentary are an understatement if anything.

Last edited:

Exactly!.....and why did he dress him? AND why did he de-activate Alan Branch if he was going to waste a spot on Butler not playing????

If I recall, LaGarette Blount torched the Patriots up the middle that game. Branch couldn't have helped out????

Hey, but at least Jordan Richards and Ricky Jean Francois combined to play 31 snaps for our D that gave up 41 points to Nick Foles.

The documentary didn't address even half the angles of Belichick's full blown nutty that game. He should have been fired before getting back onto the team bus that night.

Last edited:
It's the bizarre characterization by Kraft that it was something "personal" that creates all the drama. Personal, not football related. I can't imagine what that even is. How is that even possible. If it was a personal affront to the coach, you have to wonder what that can even possibly be.
My brother was the CFO of a company. His wife ran over the CEO's cat. In front of the kids. That's personal.

They were together 20+ years, you know how hard that is in professional football with all the egos involved. That it blew up in the end is no surprise, that they kept it together as long as they did is a miracle. Most of it had to do with Tom and his personality, but BB was and is a great coach even with all his flaws. No other team had done what they did, Tom Landy didn't, Shula didn't, they won 6 together and that's what I'll take from the last 20+ years. The ******** that happened was inevitable and I don't care.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back