PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to “The Dynasty”

Because he obviously knows.

The fact he's never said anything should really be enough of an answer for everyone, but it's not. And Belichick isn't going to throw him under the bus.
Butler did say he was writing a book so maybe he is holding the nugget to sell the book?
Could also be the truth is going to make Butler AND BB look bad. Butler was wrong, BB was too strict and lost the SB, and neither will come out well with the truth. The other reason is it is so personal nobody wants it out there.
If Butler does not put it in the book, I think we will never hear the truth from BB or Butler to get 100% confirmation of what happened.

the fact there are still Pats fans who defend Belichick’s decision to bench Butler is ****ing insane. a few have even said Butler wouldn’t have helped make the 1 stop the team needed LMAO. there are probably at least 2 or 3 3rd and 4th downs you can go back to and see where Butler would have helped the defense make a stop. I refuse to ever watch that ******** game again but I do remember one play that Butler damn well would have made. I think it was Bademosi whiffing on a 3rd down tackle that would have left PHI with like 4th and 5 or something deep in their own territory. instead, he whiffs on Agholor who gets the 1st and PHI scores a TD on that drive. a tackle Butler would have no doubt made

that ******** by Belichick cost the team a ring. Brady and the rest of that 2017 team knows it. Kraft knows it
I don't think very many people debate that Butler would have had an impact. It comes down to who you hold responsible.

It shouldn’t have been hard.

Do What’s Best For The Football Team (tm) and play him, win the Super Bowl and then cut him if there was a problem. Or if whatever he did was egregious enough and you want to send a cold hard message cut him before the game like Underwood. Not put him on the sidelines to bawl on national TV.

If nobody except BB and maybe a couple of coaches and possibly Butler himself knows why he was benched - that says it all. This is exactly why guys like Amendola are anti BB now.

Do What’s Best For The Football Team (tm) and play him, win the Super Bowl and then cut him if there was a problem. Or if whatever he did was egregious enough and you want to send a cold hard message cut him before the game like Underwood. Not put him on the sidelines to bawl on national TV.

If nobody except BB and maybe a couple of coaches know why he was benched - that says it all. This is exactly why guys like Amendola are anti BB now.
Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

All you have is conjecture.

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

All you have is conjecture.
This isn’t court? Not sure what you mean by innocent here. The benching happened.

Last edited:
This isn’t court? Not sure what you mean by innocent here. The benching happened.
I'm aware we are not in court but that's still where society goes to settle disputes so using the general practices of court like innocent until proven guilty seems reasonable to me. Rather than some kangaroo court.

Maybe you think he got benched for no reason at all? Not sure how you can decide if the benching was just if you don't know why it happened. Other than jumping to conclusions.

Belichick had standards and discipline. This isn't the first time they lost a playoff game with a key player being held out. In fact, I'd argue losing Welker against the Ravens was more deflating to the team than losing Butler.

What no one can account for are the positive effects of having strict standards. In all those years of Super Bowls, 9 Super Bowls, New England only once had a disciplinary problem, the kind you here of commonly in the NFL. If players know all their teammates are accountable, it creates a different kind of unity, even if they're upset at the benching of Welker and Butler.

Slater put it best: it's a coaching decision and at the end of the day, we trust our coach.

I’m both surprised and unsurprised that some long time members on here that just say “well why didn’t BB say his side during the interviews” don’t understand the dynamic at play. BB might not even know the context of what is being made or when it could be released.
Yes, we all know Bill is a complete idiot. Not.

Come on man, Bill had 1000 questions before these interviews; had Ernie and Najarian research the **** out of the director and producers, and then and only then, agreed to say almost nothing.

Yes, we all know Bill is a complete idiot. Not.

Come on man, Bill had 1000 questions before these interviews; had Ernie and Najarian research the **** out of the director and producers, and then and only then, agreed to say almost nothing.
Is this the nicest thing you've ever said about Bill?

If Belichick doesn't bench Butler in Super Bowl 52........

......Hall of Famer ;) Nick Foles doesn't put up 41 points 373 passing yards and 3 TD's........

......the Patriots win SB 52.....

.....become the only franchise in NFL history to win 3 consecutive Super Bowls. Never done before, probably never will.

From the Halberstam book we learned how obsessive Belichick is about the history of the sport. Reknowned Football Historian Bill Belichick should spend the rest of his days quieting his own conscience by telling himself what he tells the public.

If nobody except BB and maybe a couple of coaches and possibly Butler himself knows why he was benched - that says it all. This is exactly why guys like Amendola are anti BB now.
It was nothing even close to being egregious, thus the reason Bill refuses to talk about it.

Little Steve asked Malcolm to practice with the ST unit. Malcolm told him he's the starting CB2 (Malcolm had 0 ST snaps that season). An argument ensued and Little Steve had his feelings hurt when Malcolm laughed at him. Little Steve got Fat Matt involved, who told Bill. Bill got pissed and over reacted.

Malcolm had only 1 snap in the SB. Yea, you guessed it, on STs.

Bill not only tanked the game by keeping out the CB that had 98% of the snaps during the season, but proceeded to humiliate him by forcing him to take a ST snap, while Little Steve smiled. Now, Bill, Little Steve, and Fat Matt are no longer Patriots.

So much for 'Do your Job', 'What's best for the football team' bull ****. Bill arrogantly watched as the best performance by Brady in a SB went to waste, just because he could.

It was nothing even close to being egregious, thus the reason Bill refuses to talk about it.

Little Steve asked Malcolm to practice with the ST unit. Malcolm told him he's the starting CB2 (Malcolm had 0 ST snaps that season). An argument ensued and Little Steve had his feelings hurt when Malcolm laughed at him. Little Steve got Fat Matt involved, who told Bill. Bill got pissed and over reacted.

Malcolm had only 1 snap in the SB. Yea, you guessed it, on STs.

Bill not only tanked the game by keeping out the CB that had 98% of the snaps during the season, but proceeded to humiliate him by forcing him to take a ST snap, while Little Steve smiled. Now, Bill, Little Steve, and Fat Matt are no longer Patriots.

So much for 'Do your Job', 'What's best for the football team' bull ****. Bill arrogantly watched as the best performance by Brady in a SB went to waste, just because he could.
I still don't think you actually believe this crap. But again if this is the story your going why are you making fun of Stephen and Patricia for doing their jobs? Just for the sake of being a jerk?

If this is indeed the truth than I would say Bill royally screwed up but there are no facts to support this.

I always felt that whatever it was would be big enough to bench him but not big enough to blow up his being the hero of SB49. And that's a fine line of possibilities which makes me feel uneasy blaming Bill or Butler without more knowledge.

Based on what we do know either Butler did something that warranted it or Bill was being draconian. And I don't know how to know which.

I still don't think you actually believe this crap. But again if this is the story your going why are you making fun of Stephen and Patricia for doing their jobs? Just for the sake of being a jerk?

If this is indeed the truth than I would say Bill royally screwed up but there are no facts to support this.

I always felt that whatever it was would be big enough to bench him but not big enough to blow up his being the hero of SB49. And that's a fine line of possibilities which makes me feel uneasy blaming Bill or Butler without more knowledge.

Based on what we do know either Butler did something that warranted it or Bill was being draconian. And I don't know how to know which.
Think about it for one second.

Why do you think Malcolm took only 1 snap, and on the opening ST play? It destroyed the "he was too sick to play" narrative.

Malcolm was a free agent in 2018. He was walking anyway. So why force him to take a ST snap, when he had ZERO snaps out of the 451 ST snaps during the season. Hell, Gilly had 32 ST snaps during the season. Malcolm, zero.

Bill was sending a message. Why? Because the arrogant prick could.

Think about it for one second.

Why do you think Malcolm took only 1 snap, and on the opening ST play? It destroyed the "he was too sick to play" narrative.

Malcolm was a free agent in 2018. He was walking anyway. So why force him to take a ST snap, when he had ZERO snaps out of the 451 ST snaps during the season. Hell, Gilly had 32 ST snaps during the season. Malcolm, zero.

Bill was sending a message. Why? Because the arrogant prick could.
Forgive me for wanting facts rather than believing this paper thin argument with zero bias at all.

It's the bizarre characterization by Kraft that it was something "personal" that creates all the drama. Personal, not football related. I can't imagine what that even is. How is that even possible. If it was a personal affront to the coach, you have to wonder what that can even possibly be.

If Belichick doesn't bench Butler in Super Bowl 52........

......Hall of Famer ;) Nick Foles doesn't put up 41 points 373 passing yards and 3 TD's........

......the Patriots win SB 52.....

.....become the only franchise in NFL history to win 3 consecutive Super Bowls. Never done before, probably never will.

From the Halberstam book we learned how obsessive Belichick is about the history of the sport. Reknowned Football Historian Bill Belichick should spend the rest of his days quieting his own conscience by telling himself what he tells the public.

If Belichick is soft on players, they don't win against Seattle or Atlanta, and we're not even discussing this.,

the fact there are still Pats fans who defend Belichick’s decision to bench Butler is ****ing insane. a few have even said Butler wouldn’t have helped make the 1 stop the team needed LMAO. there are probably at least 2 or 3 3rd and 4th downs you can go back to and see where Butler would have helped the defense make a stop. I refuse to ever watch that ******** game again but I do remember one play that Butler damn well would have made. I think it was Bademosi whiffing on a 3rd down tackle that would have left PHI with like 4th and 5 or something deep in their own territory. instead, he whiffs on Agholor who gets the 1st and PHI scores a TD on that drive. a tackle Butler would have no doubt made

that ******** by Belichick cost the team a ring. Brady and the rest of that 2017 team knows it. Kraft knows it
The Butler benching was maybe defensible in the first half. By the second half you had nothing to lose. It was just being stubborn and everyone knew it. There's a reason so many players soured on Bill after that and even winning a Super Bowl a year later couldn't fix the relationships with Brady and Gronk.

It was controversial with fans at the time, since it's only proven that it was equally controversial with the team that played.

It's the bizarre characterization by Kraft that it was something "personal" that creates all the drama. Personal, not football related. I can't imagine what that even is. How is that even possible. If it was a personal affront to the coach, you have to wonder what that can even possibly be.
Supposedly it involved Butler and one of Bill's sons. It was a completely off the field issue and it would be personally embarrassing to all parties for the story to get out there.

It definitely reopened wounds and adds a layer of oddity to something already quite bizarre. I mean how could he not know, how could he call it personal, and if he doesn't know and it was personal how is it all Bill's fault? IMO it was easier to move on when it was just a coaches decision even if we always knew that was just BBs response so that he could then say he covered it every other time he got asked.

It definitely reopened wounds and adds a layer of oddity to something already quite bizarre. I mean how could he not know, how could he call it personal, and if he doesn't know and it was personal how is it all Bill's fault? IMO it was easier to move on when it was just a coaches decision even if we always knew that was just BBs response so that he could then say he covered it every other time he got asked.
It's going to get dredged up again. Here's why: if the owner believes certain kinds of behavior are personal and not football related, ie. outside the bounds of what the coach should be doing, then people are going to want to know what he's referring to.

Are we talking about a player cursing out the coach? Are we talking about a player getting physical with the coach?

If Kraft believes these are personal issues and not football issues, it presents a new way of looking at standards and discipline.

I read a post here lauding Kraft for hiring future Hall-of-Famer Pete Carroll. Of course, it was so long ago, and that same poster has admitted he only started watching in 2004, but the biggest reason why Carroll failed in New England was his rah-rah loose no accountability style of coaching. We had our own players openly mocking him on the field of play during crucial moments in games. You saw some of this in Seattle as well.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back