PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Re-stocking an old Super Bowl team with two #1s and two #2s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burn baby burn. Since you have no answer to the facts, then its horse****, right dip**** ? Name a WR BB has developed in the last 8 years via draft? Case closed

The Belichick haters crack me up. Bring Bobby Grier back. He could draft some athletes!

1st Round – Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
2nd Round – Ras-I Dowling, DB, Virginia
2nd Round – Shane Vereen, RB, Cal
3rd Round – Stevan Ridley, RB, LSU
3rd Round – Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
5th Round – Marcus Cannon, OL, TCU
5th Round – Lee Smith, TE, Marshall
6th Round – Markell Carter, OLB, Central Arkansas
7th Round – Malcolm Williams, CB, Marshall

1st Round (27th Overall) – Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
2nd Round (42nd Overall) – Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
2nd Round (53rd Overall) – Jermaine Cunningham, OLB, Florida
2nd Round (62nd Overall) – Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida
3rd Round (90th Overall) – Taylor Price, WR, Ohio
4th Round (113th Overall) – Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida
5th Round (150th Overall) – Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan
6th Round (205th Overall) – Ted Larsen, C, NC State
7th Round (208th Overall) – Thomas Welch, OT, Vanderbilt
7th Round (247th Overall) – Brandon Deaderick, DL, Alabama
7th Round (248th Overall) – Kade Weston, DL, Georgia
7th Round (250th OVerall) – Zac Robinson, QB, Oklahoma State

Thanks for making me look like a dummy. 2010 was a phenomenal pickup. 2011 is TBD depending on how Dowling and the RBs progress. Looks like they went for long term needs instead of filling immediate ones (pass rush, deep threat). Hope 2012 draft fills those needs that have been hanging on this team for a little while.

either via Draft, UDFA, FA, the record is abysmal, and BB and his FO and coaching has failed to develop any decent WR since Branch/Givens . Ok Remove Childress if you want, replace him with Price, makes it even look worse with another 3rd Round WR bust.

Fact are clear, and if you want to make them as yanking chains so be it. The only time anything worked for WR was in a trade for Welker. The Moss trade was basically turned into a 1.5 year rental.

Stallworth did nothing here as a 1 yr rental, caught 46 balls. Caldwell was also 1 year rental with his 61 catch career year totalling a whopping 760 yards

You're clueless. Branch, Givens, Welker, Moss is not bad. It's pretty good. I have no idea why you think Moss was a 1.5 year rental. You realize that after having the best season a receiver has ever had in 07, in 08 & 09 he had a combined 2,272 yards and 24 TDs? Somehow that is only 1.5 years though even though he was an elite receiver for 3 years here.

Please have some idea of what you are talking about before you post again. You sound like an angry 13 year old girl.

Thanks for making me look like a dummy. 2010 was a phenomenal pickup. 2011 is TBD depending on how Dowling and the RBs progress. Looks like they went for long term needs instead of filling immediate ones (pass rush, deep threat). Hope 2012 draft fills those needs that have been hanging on this team for a little while.

I think you should go back through the last 5 years of drafts and list all teh wr and pass rushers who were impact players as rookies.

edit: not to mention the fact that trying to fill all your holes with rookies is a horrible strategy, and you can't roll into the season with just benjarvus and woodhead at rb.
what would happen if benny gets ir'd, or misses significant time.
rb was an immediate need, as was dowling and solder, not that we were banking on any of those rookies to fill some void --- that's not how belichick rolls

Last edited:
You're clueless. Branch, Givens, Welker, Moss is not bad. It's pretty good. I have no idea why you think Moss was a 1.5 year rental. You realize that after having the best season a receiver has ever had in 07, in 08 & 09 he had a combined 2,272 yards and 24 TDs? Somehow that is only 1.5 years though even though he was an elite receiver for 3 years here.

Please have some idea of what you are talking about before you post again. You sound like an angry 13 year old girl.

When did I say Branch and Givens were not developed ?
My post said since then, Name me a successful WR this team has developed in last 8 years ? You know like Saints have with Colston, or Packers have with Jennings, or Giants have in Nicks, or Cowboys with Austin.....unless you count Bethel, Chad, Taylor Price, Tate, and list of garbage heap WR's picked up every year by BB to offer upto Brady to make it happen as success ?

Next time bother to read the thread and then post, rather than posting jibberish and making yourself look like a fool

Last edited:
The Belichick haters crack me up. Bring Bobby Grier back. He could draft some athletes!
When you think about it you could be right. It could be argued that BB won his 1st SB with a core group of players drafted by Grier.

Last edited:
Stockpiling picks for the Ryan Mallett era.
I haven't missed a pats draft since 1977, but after last years draft i think i will this year. It killed me to pass all those pass rusher by in last years draft. (A draft that he admitted was the best class of D-line men in a while) Then trade the second first round pick for NO's first round this year, which is lower. What good are picks if you don't use them. BB Always hits on his First rounders, his history with the second and third rounders is abysmal

Last edited:

Before you bash Grier, here's what he got us from 1993-1999 as Director of Pro Personnel/Scouting...So, care to retract or still want to make yourself look foolish ?

Manyof these players were part of Pats core making SB in 1996, and the run from 2001-2005.

It was upto owner and coaches to make rest happen, and we know what happened there with Parcells and Carroll

Bledsoe
McGinest
Law
Bruschi
Ted Johnson
Slade
Rucci
HOF'er Curtis Martin
Milloy
Terry Glenn
Robert Edwards
Brisby
Tebucky Jones....well this was a now Seattle Seahawk HC pick !
Woody
Faulk
Katzenmoyer
Rutledge
Spires

Grier's 1997 draft

Code:
1997 New England Patriots Draft
Round 	Overall 	Player 	Position 	Birthdate 	College
1 	29 	Chris Canty 	DB 	03/30/1976 	Kansas State
2 	59 	Brandon Mitchell 	DT 	06/19/1975 	Texas A&M
3 	61 	Sedrick Shaw 	RB 	11/16/1973 	Iowa
3 	89 	Chris Carter 	DB 	09/27/1974 	Texas
4 	97 	Damon Denson 	OG 	02/08/1975 	Michigan
4 	125 	Edward Ellis 	OT 	10/13/1975 	Buffalo
5 	159 	Vernon Crawford 	LB 	06/25/1974 	Florida State
6 	192 	Tony Gaiter 	WR 	07/15/1974 	Miami
7 	230 	Scott Rehberg 	OG 	11/17/1973 	Central Michigan

spectacular

Grier's 1998 draft

Code:
1998 New England Patriots Draft Selections Round 	Overall 	Player 	Position 	College
1[4] 	18 	Robert Edwards 	Running back 	Georgia
1 	22 	Tebucky Jones 	Safety 	Syracuse
2[5] 	52 	Tony Simmons 	Wide receiver 	Wisconsin
2 	54 	Rod Rutledge 	Tight end 	Alabama
3[6] 	81 	Chris Floyd 	Fullback 	Michigan
3 	83 	Greg Spires 	Defensive end 	Florida State
4 	115 	Leonta Rheams 	Defensive tackle 	Houston
5 	145 	Ron Merkerson 	Linebacker 	Colorado
6 	176 	Harold Shaw 	Fullback 	Southern Miss
7 	211 	Jason Andersen 	Offensive guard 	BYU

mind boggling expertise...they had Edwards for a season...Tebusty Jones was the worst scouted pick in NFL history

Grier's 1999 draft..

Code:
nd 	Overall 	Player 	Position 	College
1[5] 	17 	Damien Woody 	Center 	Boston College
1[6] 	28 	Andy Katzenmoyer 	Linebacker 	Ohio State
2[7] 	46 	Kevin Faulk 	Running back 	LSU
3[8] 	91 	Tony George 	Safety 	Florida
5 	154 	Derrick Fletcher 	Offensive guard 	Baylor
6[9] 	180 	Marcus Washington 	Safety 	Colorado
7 	227 	Michael Bishop 	Quarterback 	Kansas State
7 	241 	Sean Morey 	Wide receiver 	Brown

now THERE's a Grier BONANZA!!! Woody and Faulk were actual NFL caliber players...

so...from 97 til 99 Grier had three hits out of 31 picks??

SPECTACULAR

Grier's 1997 draft

Code:
1997 New England Patriots Draft
Round 	Overall 	Player 	Position 	Birthdate 	College
1 	29 	Chris Canty 	DB 	03/30/1976 	Kansas State
2 	59 	Brandon Mitchell 	DT 	06/19/1975 	Texas A&M
3 	61 	Sedrick Shaw 	RB 	11/16/1973 	Iowa
3 	89 	Chris Carter 	DB 	09/27/1974 	Texas
4 	97 	Damon Denson 	OG 	02/08/1975 	Michigan
4 	125 	Edward Ellis 	OT 	10/13/1975 	Buffalo
5 	159 	Vernon Crawford 	LB 	06/25/1974 	Florida State
6 	192 	Tony Gaiter 	WR 	07/15/1974 	Miami
7 	230 	Scott Rehberg 	OG 	11/17/1973 	Central Michigan

spectacular

Belichick outdid him back-to-back-back years in 2006 and 2007 and 2008

Stock up again for next year's draft and get Matt Barkley.

Before you bash Grier, here's what he got us from 1993-1999 as Director of Pro Personnel/Scouting...So, care to retract or still want to make yourself look foolish ?

Manyof these players were part of Pats core making SB in 1996, and the run from 2001-2005.

It was upto owner and coaches to make rest happen, and we know what happened there with Parcells and Carroll

Bledsoe
McGinest
Law
Bruschi
Ted Johnson
Slade
Rucci
HOF'er Curtis Martin
Milloy
Terry Glenn
Robert Edwards
Brisby
Tebucky Jones....well this was a now Seattle Seahawk HC pick !
Woody
Faulk
Katzenmoyer
Rutledge
Spires

God, this is a mess. First off, Grier wasn't calling any draft shots in '93 or '94. Patrick Forte was EVP of operations, and Charley Armey was Director of College Scouting. So that eliminates Bledsoe, McGinest, Slade, Rucci, and Brisby (and seriously, why are you citing him and Rucci anyway?).

Tebucky was a bust 'til Belichick put him at safety, getting what value he could out of a wasted pick. Still, his bad angles are legendary. He had a great SB 36 and then was the original genesis of the pick the Pats traded for Corey Dillon. So BB did more with the Jones pick than Grier did.

Spires carved out a decent career on his second team after the Pats. Rutledge retired after five years in the league, with a whole of 27 receptions to his resume.

Katzenmoyer? He made a nice footnote in Holley's most recent book.

Grier's 1999 draft..

Code:
nd 	Overall 	Player 	Position 	College
1[5] 	17 	Damien Woody 	Center 	Boston College
1[6] 	28 	Andy Katzenmoyer 	Linebacker 	Ohio State
2[7] 	46 	Kevin Faulk 	Running back 	LSU
3[8] 	91 	Tony George 	Safety 	Florida
5 	154 	Derrick Fletcher 	Offensive guard 	Baylor
6[9] 	180 	Marcus Washington 	Safety 	Colorado
7 	227 	Michael Bishop 	Quarterback 	Kansas State
7 	241 	Sean Morey 	Wide receiver 	Brown

now THERE's a Grier BONANZA!!! Woody and Faulk were actual NFL caliber players...

so...from 97 til 99 Grier had three hits out of 31 picks??

SPECTACULAR

If you want to cherry pick, lets make it real...

BB actually scouted and drafted
Slade, Martin, Bruschi, McGinest, Bledsoe, Law, Milloy, Glenn, Faulk...or PICKED UDFA ADAM VINATERI in 1996 who became SB hero for us.

Grier actually by was the brains behind drafting
Maroney, Chad Jackson, Brace, Butler, Wilhite, Crable, Klemm, Rohan Davey, Bethel, Marquise Hill, Gus Scott, Dexter Reid, David Thomas, Garret Mills, Wheatley, Kevin Oconnell, Tate, McKenzie, Price, Cunningham.......shall I name more ????

If you want to cherry pick, lets make it real...

BB actually scouted and drafted
Slade, Martin, Bruschi, McGinest, Bledsoe, Law, Milloy, Glenn, Faulk...or PICKED UDFA ADAM VINATERI in 1996 who became SB hero for us.

Grier actually by was the brains behind drafting
Maroney, Chad Jackson, Brace, Butler, Wilhite, Crable, Klemm, Rohan Davey, Bethel, Marquise Hill, Gus Scott, Dexter Reid, David Thomas, Garret Mills, Wheatley, Kevin Oconnell, Tate, McKenzie, Price, Cunningham.......shall I name more ????

obviously you are a complete moron....BTW idiot,"jibberish" is not an actual word in the English language...this gibberish you just posted makes zero sense...Grier was promoted to VP of Player Personnel when Carroll took over in 1997 and produced exactly squat before being FIRED, numbnuts...the Patriots SUNK from their 1996 position in the league, spiraling downward in chaos..the Patriots have been to FIVE Super Bowls and won three in 11 years since the change..only an idiotic undercover Rat troll makes the idiotic, ridiculous claims you've vomited up in this thread and all over this board since you magically "appeared" around the time of the Rat meltdown...buh bye, troll...the ignore button works wonders

obviously you are a complete moron....BTW idiot,"jibberish" is not an actual word in the English language...this gibberish you just posted makes zero sense...Grier was promoted to VP of Player Personnel when Carroll took over in 1997 and produced exactly squat before being FIRED, numbnuts...the Patriots SUNK from their 1996 position in the league, spiraling downward in chaos..the Patriots have been to FIVE Super Bowls and won three in 11 years since the change..only an idiotic undercover Rat troll makes the idiotic, ridiculous claims you've vomited up in this thread and all over this board since you magically "appeared" around the time of the Rat meltdown...buh bye, troll...the ignore button works wonders

Your are a ****** of epic proportions, and your S/N fits well with your idiotic and moronic dumbazz cherry picking of Grier draft

Nuff said to your clueless asinine posts.And if you got your head out of your ASS you'd know this

Grier was fired shortly after the 2000 NFL Draft with then-assistant director of player personnel Scott Pioli taking over Grier's responsibilities, despite being instrumental for helping the Patriots draft Tom Brady in the 6th round of the NFL draft, being the only NFL executive to have contacted Lloyd Carr, Brady's college coach, about drafting Brady.

Bobby Grier (American football coach) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1993-1994 Director Pro Scouting
1995-1997 Director Player Personnel
1997-1999 VP Player Personnel

I think this is a little deceiving.

Kevin Faulk (35)
Chad Ochocinco (34)
Dan Koppen (32)
Brian Waters (34)
Shaun Ellis (34)
Gerard Warren (33)

All of those guys, except maybe Waters and Koppen, are likely gone. None of the guys who are leaving are starters. This is a bit different from the Steelers, who have key cogs aging at key positions.

I think Koppen's gone. He was starting to get bullied by DT's in 2009 and 2010 whereas Connolly didn't this year, and held up well in the playoffs and Super Bowl. I think Danny Boy has actually found a starting position in the NFL.

Back to the topic at hand, we are young in the wrong places.. i.e. Defensive Backfield, where there is a need for leadership and experience. Bodden was supposed to be an answer, but injuries take their toll.

Anyone who thinks that the 2 best team in the NFL last year with 4 picks in the first two rounds will make this team #1 is delusional.

IMO, despite all of the negativity, this team is being rebuilt on the fly and they may not be second best in the NFL, but will be close to it.

We are not entitled to have a superbowl winning team every year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft