PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Re-stocking an old Super Bowl team with two #1s and two #2s

Status
Not open for further replies.
With no picks after round 4, I can see him trading a #2 for a 3rd this year (or 2nd next year) and a 5 and 6 or something like that. I do not have a trade value chart of any kind in front of me so I don't even know if that adds up but you get the drift.

This draft board means that BB will use one #1, and 2 #2s.

He will trade one #1 for a #1 next year and a #2 this year. Iguarantee it.

He will also 75% likely to trade one #2 for a #2 next year and a #3 this year.

Its his model. Keep that extra #1 and get a free second #2 EVERY YEAR FOREVER. (And the extra #2 means he can get a free second #3 EVERY YEAR FOREVER)

-- FRITZ

Of course, this makes me all the angrier about losing that 1st in 2008. . . . :mad:

But, seriously, it's like an annuity: in 2007, the Pats traded their first forward, and the "interest" they got that year was Randy Moss. :)

Last edited:
I was excited for all the high draft picks leading up to last year's draft. This year I am greatly lowering my expectations.

That's always wise... The reality is however that Belichick has certain players he wants and values and will use his draft picks accordingly

If he values them highly enough he'll package picks and move up, or take them with the picks he has, or trade back, hopefully getting the players he wants while picking up future ammunition as well.

We saw that this season when he cut guys with established names while letting UFAs and rookies who earned playing time take their roster spots.

Speaking of free agency, I would expect this season will help make the Patriots even more attractive for players seeking a ring... It's not lost on most players that Belichick and Brady have averaged one Super Bowl appearance every other year for a decade. Even though they lost their last two that still counts for a lot if all other things (like money) are nearly equal.

either our NO pick or the early 2nd round pick gets traded. I actually like how BB trades for future picks.
It's good to have two first round picks. Hopefully we address our needs with FAs

Free agency is a bigger risk to an organization than draft picks.

That's always wise... The reality is however that Belichick has certain players he wants and values and will use his draft picks accordingly

If he values them highly enough he'll package picks and move up, or take them with the picks he has, or trade back, hopefully getting the players he wants while picking up future ammunition as well.

We saw that this season when he cut guys with established names while letting UFAs and rookies who earned playing time take their roster spots.

Speaking of free agency, I would expect this season will help make the Patriots even more attractive for players seeking a ring... It's not lost on most players that Belichick and Brady have averaged one Super Bowl appearance every other year for a decade. Even though they lost their last two that still counts for a lot if all other things (like money) are nearly equal.

Not quite...its still about "show me the money".

Do players really love money more than the game? - The Denver Post

The 2012 draft is weak on pass rushers. We could look at free agency though.

We could pick up Mario Williams.

You guys can forget about about signing big name FA's(Vjax, M williams). BB will trade down and sign reclamation projects and JAGs whom he will turn into serviceable NFLers. It's boring, but hey, it's his hobby. Oh, and it happens to work. We go through these same flights of fancy every draft. Yaaaaaaawn.

Unrestricted free agent signings will impact the New England Patriots draft to a certain extent.

Re-sign Wes Welker
Re-sign Dan Connolly
Sign wide receiver Brandon Lloyd
Sign cornerback/free safety Richard Marshall

The New England Patriots defense definitely needs upgrades:

First Round
3-4 Defensive End
3-4 Outside Linebacker

Second Round
Free Safety
Cornerback or Wide Receiver (depending on unrestricted free agent signings)

Third Round
Center

Fourth Round
The obligatory tight end selection

You guys can forget about about signing big name FA's(Vjax, M williams). BB will trade down and sign reclamation projects and JAGs whom he will turn into serviceable NFLers. It's boring, but hey, it's his hobby. Oh, and it happens to work. We go through these same flights of fancy every draft. Yaaaaaaawn.

It works some of the time. I don't have much confidence that he'll pick up an impact WR this offseason. How many in a row has he whiffed on?

$22mill for Mario. Welcome to Cap Hell

What makes you think this??

Williams isn't going to be franchise tagged by the Patriots, and if we sign him he's not getting paid 22 million guaranteed in 2012.

The Pats have been so good with the cap the past few years...Probably anticipating this free agent market.

I hope your not mad when Mario Williams signs here, because I won't be.

Nor will I be surprised.

It works some of the time. I don't have much confidence that he'll pick up an impact WR this offseason. How many in a row has he whiffed on?

Bethel, PK Sam, Chad Jackson, Tate, Ocho, Gabriel, Caldwell, Stallworth, Galloway, Tim Dwight, Andre Davis, Bam Childress, Gaffney, Washington

just to name a few, the TE list is standalone.

What makes you think this??

Williams isn't going to be franchise tagged by the Patriots, and if we sign him he's not getting paid 22 million guaranteed in 2012.

The Pats have been so good with the cap the past few years...Probably anticipating this free agent market.

I hope your not mad when Mario Williams signs here, because I won't be.

Nor will I be surprised.

LOL. I'm a realist, you are in dreamland. He made 18mill last year. Texans franchise him he gets paid $22.9mill, if they do not there's plenty of other teams that HAVE CAP space to pay him upfront and GUARANTEED money

Why would he come here then when he can make massive $$ with a team that has $55mill in capspace like Tampa that will be willing to shell the $ ?

Your logic is flawed, as if NE will shell $22mill for him. Teams like Redskins pull these stunts, not Patriots, incase you've not seen the record over last 12 years of BB running the show.

LOL. I'm a realist, you are in dreamland. He made 18mill last year. Texans franchise him he gets paid $22.9mill, if they do not there's plenty of other teams that HAVE CAP space to pay him upfront and GUARANTEED money

Why would he come here then when he can make massive $$ with a team that has $55mill in capspace like Tampa that will be willing to shell the $ ?

Your logic is flawed, as if NE will shell $22mill for him. Teams like Redskins pull these stunts, not Patriots, incase you've not seen the record over last 12 years of BB running the show.

What I've seen is BB doesn't mind paying for the right pieces at the right time... R. Colvin, A. Thomas.

The difference between the Redskins and the Patriots is they know exactly when to add the right pieces...they have a plan..

The Redskins play fantasy football..

And who exactly has 55 million dollars of cap space, or realistically, more than 30 million?? The Pats have plenty of space because they know how to load the contract right and spread it properly over the length of time.

I don't think you understand the cap...Guaranteed money doesn't have to be a one year cap hit.

Bethel, PK Sam, Chad Jackson, Tate, Ocho, Gabriel, Caldwell, Stallworth, Galloway, Tim Dwight, Andre Davis, Bam Childress, Gaffney, Washington.
Don't forget about Taylor Price! Remember the Price is Right! ;)

Bethel, PK Sam, Chad Jackson, Tate, Ocho, Gabriel, Caldwell, Stallworth, Galloway, Tim Dwight, Andre Davis, Bam Childress, Gaffney, Washington

just to name a few, the TE list is standalone.

This is why you sign Brandon Lloyd, this system is a tough one for many WR's to pick up because you have to read the D the same way Brady does so they will be in the right place at the right time.

Lloyd has played in this system under Josh McD and has flourished in this system. That is why yo sign he has the Football IQ to play the system and won't have a big adjustment period.

He will be the #1 next year. Under McD he caught 77 balls with 18+ per catch. Perfect compliment to the existing WR corp. Keep Branch as a reserve for short money.

This is why you sign Brandon Lloyd, this system is a tough one for many WR's to pick up because you have to read the D the same way Brady does so they will be in the right place at the right time.

Lloyd has played in this system under Josh McD and has flourished in this system. That is why yo sign he has the Football IQ to play the system and won't have a big adjustment period.

He will be the #1 next year. Under McD he caught 77 balls with 18+ per catch. Perfect compliment to the existing WR corp. Keep Branch as a reserve for short money.

AS I said, we need2 WR's, a speedster, and a physical one. Move Hernandez around as a TE/3rd WR, or in 2TE formation. If they sign Lloyd, then draft Michael Floyd, 6'3 225 from ND.

Then you have Lloyd, Floyd, Welker, AH, Gronk and a matchup nightmare. Draft or brin another FA TE to have the rotation

Anyone mention Marshawn Lynch? Would love to see that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back