PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ray Lewis is retiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

When my 'sin' directly results in murderer(s) going free, I'll refrain from throwing stones. Until then, I have my slingshot.

great great LB

for me though, i still put LT singletary and seau above

"Holier than thou approach" !!!!!!!!!!

To be critical of man who was involved in a murder, either as a perpetrator, accomplice, or witness, and who did nothing to aid the police in solving said crime and, to the best of my knowledge, has never made a public apology to the families of the victims for his role, does not constitute moral arrogance.

Famous and wealthy athletes (and politicians, and movies stars, etc.) have lawyers, accountants, PR flacks and others to help them navigate the shoals of their own misbehavior. It's clear that Mr. Lewis has had some success in rehabilitating his image (I think Richard Nixon had as well), but whether he is truly reformed can only be known to his closest friends and associates. Hopefully, they are not the same group who accompanied him to the Cobalt Lounge.

And by the way, descent into namecalling does little to advance your argument.

I don't consider it a moral imperative to tell the truth to the police. Is it a crime? Yes. Was he penalized for such a crime? Yes. End of story. Like so many athletes, it seems his biggest mistake was running with the wrong crowd--a mistake that he has not duplicated since.

BINGO. (although I do believe it was just one man).

Lewis enabled his HOMIES to ditch bloody clothes and a knife, enabled them & he fled the scene (& the state), lied to investigators, and when faced with prosecution he continued to protect a bunch of scum.

If he wasnt prosecuted by an incompetent 'states' attorney for the WRONG CHARGE (IMO intentionally to enable the attorney to get credit for trying -while still letting a prominent/popular guy off the hook) he would have either done time or been forced him to give states evidence against his buds.

I lived in Atlanta at the time. The poor victim's family never got a shred of consideration from either city of Atlanta nor "Mr Lewis". Lewis got all kinds of preferential treatment.

This is ridiculous, from start to finish. First of all, Lewis TESTIFIED AGAINST THE DEFENDANTS. They got off regardless.

Second, Low-paid, self-righteous prosecutors SALIVATE over the opportunity to crucify rich, entitled athletes. The idea that a professional athlete, particularly one with no ties to the Atlanta community, would receive favorable treatment from the Atlanta DA is preposterous. The reason why Lewis didn't do any time is because he had competent legal counsel that would fight bogus charges, so the DA took what he could get in a plea deal.

I don't consider it a moral imperative to tell the truth to the police.

If one witnesses a crime, it IS a moral imperative to tell the truth to the police whether you believe so or not.

ESPECIALLY if that crime was murder.

Last edited:
One only had to read the thread title,for one to know where this topic was heading.

If one witnesses a crime, it IS a moral imperative to tell the truth to the police whether you believe so or not.

ESPECIALLY if that crime was murder.

Thanks for expressing your opinion as if it were fact. I disagree. I disagree particularly where the police might use what I say to pin a crime on me that I did not commit since most people at the scene are going to ID me simply because I am a famous athlete. Also, whatever Lewis said or did not say was likely on advice of counsel. From what I've read about this case, if you want to blame anyone for no one being convicted of the murders, the DA would be the place to start.

great great LB

for me though, i still put LT singletary and seau above

LT was an OLB, though.

As for Singletary, his numbers aren't even close:

19 sacks
7 ints
0 PD
0 FF
12 FR
(Tackle numbers not available)
AAV 159 (Weighted AAV 123)

Seau is at least closer:

56.5 sacks
18 ints
23 PD
11 FF
18 FR
1524 tackles
AAV 188 (Weighted AAV 127)

Lewis:
41.5 sacks
31 ints
81 PD
19 FF
20 FR
1573 tackles
AAV 218 (Weighted 158)

Ray Lewis is one of the greatest linebackers ever to play the game. He was able to play at an extremely high level for most of his career, and he was the leader of the last team where we can honestly say that defense carried it all season and to a Super Bowl victory.

I've seen it all now. ESPN ticker just reported that "there are reports that Lewis has agreed to a multi year deal with ESPN. ESPN spokesperson refused to comment"

Thanks for expressing your opinion as if it were fact. I disagree. I disagree particularly where the police might use what I say to pin a crime on me that I did not commit since most people at the scene are going to ID me simply because I am a famous athlete. Also, whatever Lewis said or did not say was likely on advice of counsel. From what I've read about this case, if you want to blame anyone for no one being convicted of the murders, the DA would be the place to start.

Fair enough...I misread your meaning.

I do believe we have a moral imperative to co-operate with the police on murders. It is our duty. However, as you have stated, there are and can be exceptions.

Having said that, hanging out with people like Lewis did doesn't say much about his character. Hopefully that has changed. I think he's one of the most amazing linebackers in history. But I'm not a fan of Ray Lewis the man.

LT was an OLB, though.

As for Singletary, his numbers aren't even close:

19 sacks
7 ints
0 PD
0 FF
12 FR
(Tackle numbers not available)
AAV 159 (Weighted AAV 123)

Seau is at least closer:

56.5 sacks
18 ints
23 PD
11 FF
18 FR
1524 tackles
AAV 188 (Weighted AAV 127)

Lewis:
41.5 sacks
31 ints
81 PD
19 FF
20 FR
1573 tackles
AAV 218 (Weighted 158)

singletary wasn't a numbers guy

if all you're looking for is numbers your criteria for greatness is going to be different than mine, from position to position

singletary wasn't a numbers guy

if all you're looking for is numbers your criteria for greatness is going to be different than mine, from position to position

OK, what's your criteria?

I don't consider it a moral imperative to tell the truth to the police. Is it a crime? Yes. Was he penalized for such a crime? Yes. End of story. Like so many athletes, it seems his biggest mistake was running with the wrong crowd--a mistake that he has not duplicated since.

Lying to a police officer during the investigation of a crime is illegal. If the crime being investigated is a misdemeanor, the lie is a misdemeanor (generally speaking). If it is a felony, the lie is a felony. You can be charged with the act of lying to a police officer or more significant crimes such as obstruction of justice, to harboring a fugitive, to aiding and abetting.

Nobody cares what you think is moral or immoral.

I hate it when people do this. They take this holier than thou approach to everything, Its like everyone needs to take their own personal shot at guys like Ray Lewis or Michael Vick no matter how much they have changed since.

Ray Lewis is one of the top players to every have played this game and that is how i will remember him, he has done more than enough to absolve himself of his sins, if he truly is a religious man, he will atone for his sins with his god or pay for them at his time of judgment, whatever he has done, he must live with it now, i think he cares more about that than what some jerk offs on a Pats forum think.[/QUOTE

He did not go to jail because of money, ironic don't you think? I don't give a person a pass for murder due to being athletic. My understanding is that he paid another person to take the rap. If you want to go with the 'found innocent' defense, I give you O.J. Simpson.

Ray Lewis is one of the greatest linebackers ever to play the game. He was able to play at an extremely high level for most of his career, and he was the leader of the last team where we can honestly say that defense carried it all season and to a Super Bowl victory.

When do you expect him to be canonized?

Lying to a police officer during the investigation of a crime is illegal. If the crime being investigated is a misdemeanor, the lie is a misdemeanor (generally speaking). If it is a felony, the lie is a felony. You can be charged with the act of lying to a police officer or more significant crimes such as obstruction of justice, to harboring a fugitive, to aiding and abetting.

Nobody cares what you think is moral or immoral.

Didn't I say in plain english in the first line of my post that lying to the police is a crime? So, what does your post add to the discourse, other than 4 redundant sentences? This discussion, such that it is, is played out. He pled guilty to a crime and paid a penalty for it. Hate to say it, but when white folks pay the penalty imposed by the criminal justice system, that seems to satisfy most white folks that justice has been served. Not so when black folks are involved. Michael Vick should be executed, Ray Lewis is the root of all evil, even Dante Stallworth was demonized on these boards for killing that idiot running across a highway at 3am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft