PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ray Lewis is retiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
There goes the Colts chances. Baltimore is going blow them off the field on Sunday.

Poor Ray, finally decided to hang it up... Good player

One of the GOAT at his position. Was a pleasure to watch, except against the Pats.

I agree he has been a model citizen and an unreal football player since the murder in Atlanta, however his lies to police impeded a murder investigation and that really is a despicable crime. He's not " a murderer," as many tend to tag him, but what he did really shouldn't be underplayed either. unfortunately extreme prosecutorial overreach put him in a position where his lawyer probably advised him not to volunteer anything given the desire of the prosecutor to nail him for the murder.

I hear you, but it is still strange to me that he inspires so much vitriol on this board for one instance of ARGUABLY bad judgment more than a decade ago (whether his judgment was good or bad under the circumstances is impossible for those with an incomplete knowledge of the facts to judge). Like any felony conviction, it shouldn't be overlooked when discussing his legacy, but I just don't understand the hate for the man.

Ray Lewis = media whore like Favre...not going to happen.:rolleyes:

How nice for Lewis to create a distraction for his teammates as they prepare for a playoff game...

It's all about him, ain't it?

I have the greatest respect for him as a football player and he is probably the greatest MLB of all time.

Ray Lewis might be the greatest inspirational speaker in NFL history. I had that reserved for Marv Levy (yes THAT Marv Levy) for the longest time, but reviewing some of Lewis's speeches he is undoubtedly the best. He makes you want to run through a brick wall. He is the 3rd best LB of all time (I still have Butkus and LT ahead of him) and will easily be a HOFer.

His off the field life is questionable, but then again most NFL players aren't exactly saints. And I would put no stock into thinking this is all a motivational hoax. If he was going to pull that card, why not pull it before the AFCCG last season?

We witnessed a legend on the defensive side of the ball do his work for over a decade. Congrats to a great career.

I hear you, but it is still strange to me that he inspires so much vitriol on this board for one instance of ARGUABLY bad judgment more than a decade ago (whether his judgment was good or bad under the circumstances is impossible for those with an incomplete knowledge of the facts to judge). Like any felony conviction, it shouldn't be overlooked when discussing his legacy, but I just don't understand the hate for the man.

It may not be a matter of judgement, as you frame it; it may be a matter of morality on the non-trivial issue of the deaths of two men. The murderers, whoever they may be, have gone unpunished and I am not aware of anything Ray Lewis has ever done to assist the police in solving the crime or in aiding the families of the victims.

Don't really care for him much as a person, and his constant whining about the refs every time the pats beat them was annoying. But, he's one of the best player of all time and he'll be missed. Wouldn't mind having his last game be a loss in Foxboro.

I might be in the minority because I actually like Ray Lewis as a football player. Good luck in the next chapter Ray!

There isn't a team in the NFL who wouldn't desire a player as talented and a leader amongst teammates as Lewis has been to his team all these years.

There is controversy off the field but there is none when it comes to who is a top 3 LB of all time,Lewis certainly is.

Great speech and just as an aside, I don't understand the hate for Ray Ray. As far as I can tell, the worst things anyone can point to are lying to the police and bad dancing before the Ravens SB. Both of those events happened about 15 years ago and he has been a model citizen since.

I agree. Since the Sharon Tate thing, Charles Manson has been a good citizen, well, minus the swastika.:)

Congratulations to Ray Lewis on a fine career. I can't help but feel that his back 9 has been severely overrated but that doesn't change the fact that the man has been one of the faces of the NFL for the better part of a decade.

It may not be a matter of judgement, as you frame it; it may be a matter of morality on the non-trivial issue of the deaths of two men. The murderers, whoever they may be, have gone unpunished and I am not aware of anything Ray Lewis has ever done to assist the police in solving the crime or in aiding the families of the victims.

Unless you count the numerous out of court settlements he made with them.

Sorry, until he owns up and tells the whole story, NO MATTER THE PERSONAL CONSEQUENCES FOR HIMSELF, he is not someone I could ever respect.

Unless you count the numerous out of court settlements he made with them.

Sorry, until he owns up and tells the whole story, NO MATTER THE PERSONAL CONSEQUENCES FOR HIMSELF, he is not someone I could ever respect.

I agree with your sentiment, but would point out that out of court settlements are the result of civil lawsuits or are made to preclude civil lawsuits. They do not issue from a charitable impulse.

I don't want to play his team in the divisional round, but I'd love to play them in the afccg

I agree with your sentiment, but would point out that out of court settlements are the result of civil lawsuits or are made to preclude civil lawsuits. They do not issue from a charitable impulse.

That was sarcasm:) As in, if he wasn't guilty, he didn't need to pay them. OJ Simpson, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes