PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens Week Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure that's a rational assessment. Our OL has yet to prove it can handle pressure up the middle particularly when combined with well disguised blitzing. Bill stated on Monday that Baltimore's front 7 is the best we will face and better talent wise than the JETS who needed Rex's exotic blitz schemes to create sufficient pressure. Baltimore can bring it with or without the blitz. The OL performed much better on Sunday against the kind of pressure they are accustomed to dealing with...a lighter front rushing only 3 or 4 and a lone outside threat speed rusher. On the bright side their secondary is their weaker link although Ed Reed is something of an equalizer to put it mildly. Moss should be able to get open deep if Brady can remain upright long enough. If they can connect early it will force Reed deep and give Brady the underneath stuff with lots of weapons (slot, TE, RB) to hit. The other key for us will be red zone performance. If we continue to stall it will be a long freakin' afternoon.

When two elite teams meet the battle is usually won or lost in the trenches. I think it will be tough sledding for either team on the ground. We have a deeper overall secondary but absent an effective pass rush they will also be tested. Flacco is more mobile than Ryan and mobile QB's can give us fits.

ST will be anpther key and we need better returns as well as better coverage. I hope Welker and Maroney are both active for that reason alone. We need to limit penalties as we did Sunday and continue to limit turnovers. If we win that battle it will be huge.

This team played us tough in 2007 when Brady and this offense were in perfect synch and their QB was a raw rookie running a limited playbook. They've lost a DC and LB since while we lost a year of Brady in this offense as well as our OC, and while we've added weapons on paper they have yet to show they can perform/execute as a unit consistently while Flacco and the Ravens have clearly shown they now at least have an offense beyond on the ground.

If we can meet this challenge early in the season I think we hit the bye at 6-1 and just get better as the days get shorter because historically, barring injury, that is what Belichick teams do. In fact it's what the iron of this conference has pretty consistently done over the last several seasons (NE, Indy, Pittsburgh). Baltimore and the NYJ are off to mid season form starts, but their HC/organizations don't have a track record of maintaining or improving on that form down the stretch or into the second season...

Are you writing a book?
Too much talk...I want you in the weight room today sweetie.

#1. You're not sure our Oline can handle "well-disguised"blitzing in the "inside"?
Wow, I wouldn't want you on my team!

Are you still stuck on the Giants SB loss?

That's a negative assessment of our offensive unit. Its not just the offensive lineman that adjust, make calls, block etc. We have Backs, TE's, WR's that all need to pitch in and make the plays happen. Blitzing is irrelevant when we can react and take advantage.

Blitzing? Bring it on.

#2. "Moss should be able to get open deep if Brady can remain upright long enough"

If TB can remain upright? Like I said....go hit the weightroom and put some big boy pants on momo.

Wow...you had some good points until I read this....
#3. "they (the Pats) have yet to show they can perform/execute as a unit consistently while Flacco and the Ravens have clearly shown they now at least have an offense beyond on the ground."

All my assessments are always accurate and rational, Momo.

The rest of your post was redundant info that I've heard already.

action speaks louder than WORDS.....and speculatin'

This team played us tough in 2007 when Brady and this offense were in perfect synch and their QB was a raw rookie running a limited playbook. They've lost a DC and LB since while we lost a year of Brady in this offense as well as our OC, and while we've added weapons on paper they have yet to show they can perform/execute as a unit consistently while Flacco and the Ravens have clearly shown they know.

Actually, Flacco was a senior at Delaware when the Pats played the Ravens in 2007. They played us tough with Kyle Boller at QB, which is scarier.

First and foremost, thanks for having me on your site. As I'm a Ravens fan I may have the allusion of being biased but I'm not.

I'll list my KTTG (keys to the game) for each team.

New England
* Keep Tom Terrific upright and planted firmly in the pocket.(his mechanics have been a little off, coming back from surgery, we know he's not elusive or accurate outside of the pocket)
* Exploit the Ravens Corners by running crossing routes over the middle ( Welker)
* Control the Ravens 3 headed monster (McGahee, Rice, McClain)
* Hit Joe Flacco, early and often (Try to rattle the young signal callers rhythm)
* Abandon the run game early if not effective ( BB does not run his team into brick walls)

Ravens
* HIT TOM BRADY ( sacks will be hard to come by, but pressure must be present all day)
* Secondary MUST play physical, Press Coverage! (Reed and Landry must have clear communication with CB's)
* Use the 2 TE set and spacing to provide size/speed mis-matches also dictating line spacing
* Allow Joe to have a back in the flat at all times for a nice check down, this can also be done by quick slants to Washington or Clayton
* Continue to kill the clock with ball control, Keep the PATS D on the field and Brady off! The Ravens are 1 of the best in the league at time of possesion and first downs.

Last edited:
Actually, Flacco was a senior at Delaware when the Pats played the Ravens in 2007. They played us tough with Kyle Boller at QB, which is scarier.

Thanks for nothing...I think I've blocked out the missing year...:D

RoughingthePasser said:
That's a negative assessment of our offensive unit. Its not just the offensive lineman that adjust, make calls, block etc. We have Backs, TE's, WR's that all need to pitch in and make the plays happen. Blitzing is irrelevant when we can react and take advantage.

Blitzing? Bring it on.

You could save yourself time and effort if you just copied your assessment heading into the JETS game, like I did. Only it was wr...wr...wrong.

BTW much of that was based on Belichick's assessment on Monday. Guess you don't want him on the team, either...

Last edited:

The 2007 game was "dominated" by the two rushing touchdowns the Ravens scored on their first two drives. From the middle of the 3rd qtr on, the Ravens didn't get a first down.

Once again, defense is about adjustments. They were made and the rest is history.

The 2007 game was "dominated" by the two rushing touchdowns the Ravens scored on their first two drives. From the middle of the 3rd qtr on, the Ravens didn't get a first down.

Once again, defense is about adjustments. They were made and the rest is history.

To be fair though, history wasn't on your side or ours at the end of the season ...The Ravens finished 6-10...Man, that was horrible

Thats my biggest concern too but in all honesty if given a choice between the Rivers, Jackson (6'6"), Floyd (6'5"), Legedu (6'2") all with speed, physical, and Rivers being imo one of the Top 3 Qbs in the league v.s. Brady and Crew.....I'd much rather have Brady and Crew.

. . .why?

Jackson/Floyd/Legedu with no running game < than Moss/Welker catching balls from Brady, and an at least serviceable running game.

Moss is just as big as Floyd, except fifteen times better.

Welker is like a Darren Sproles without the burden of having to take balls out of the backfield.

Brady is better than Rivers.

Bellicheck is better than Norv Turner.

I don't see why you would take the Pats over the Chargers at this point.

First and foremost, thanks for having me on your site. As I'm a Ravens fan I may have the allusion of being biased but I'm not.

New England
* Keep Tom Terrific upright and planted firmly in the pocket.(his mechanics have been a little off, coming back from surgery, we know he's not elusive or accurate outside of the pocket)
* Exploit the Ravens Corners by running crossing routes over the middle ( Welker)
* Hit Joe Flacco, early and often (Try to rattle the young signal callers rhythm)
* Abandon the run game early if not effective ( BB does not run his team into brick walls)

Ravens
* HIT TOM BRADY ( sacks will be hard to come by, but pressure must be present all day)
* Secondary MUST play physical, Press Coverage! (Reed and Landry must have clear communication with CB's)
* Use the 2 TE set and spacing to provide size/speed mis-matches also dictating line spacing
* Allow Joe to have a back in the flat at all times for a nice check down, this can also be done by quick slants to Washington or Clayton
* Continue to kill the clock with ball control, Keep the PATS D on the field and Brady off! The Ravens are 1 of the best in the league at time of possesion and first downs.

Great post, H

As a group, the Ravens fans are great.

I would also add redzone efficiency. We have had problems to say the least.

I'm just glad that the Ravens are playing the PATS now as opposed to 4-5 weeks from now. Though, I know NE can come on strong at any time, they are probably a little more vulnerable right now (especailly with injuries and a recovering Brady)

Great post, H

As a group, the Ravens fans are great.

I would also add redzone efficiency. We have had problems to say the least.

Very true, I think you guys were like 1/5 last week against a pretty tame defense. I figure though, the Pats have a better shot with scoring outside of the redzone (deep passes). The Ravens redzone D is probably top 3.

Last edited:
To be fair though, history wasn't on your side or ours at the end of the season ...The Ravens finished 6-10...Man, that was horrible

True H

I am merely pointing out that those two drives were excellent drives but was mainly on the ground and our "old and slow" defense made some adjustments. The Ravens would have won if the Ravens offense made a first down in the 4th quarter.

My post is in response to the idea that Boller was Johhny U for the game.

If I was a Ravens fan, it must be fustrating to think what might have been if Boller was properly developed

New England
* Use playaction, screens, and short timing routes to keep the pass rush at bay
* Establish the vertical threat early to keep the secondary honest
* Control Derrick Mason and Todd Heap, and make Flacco beat you with his other WRs

Ravens

I've added a few keys for the Pats.

We do not need to run the ball effectively in order to have an effective offense against Baltimore. But we do need to have an effective short yardage attack, using screens and short drops with timing routes to get the ball into our receivers'/backs' hands with some room to run.

True H

I am merely pointing out that those two drives were excellent drives but was mainly on the ground and our "old and slow" defense made some adjustments. The Ravens would have won if the Ravens offense made a first down in the 4th quarter.

My post is in response to the idea that Boller was Johhny U for the game.

If I was a Ravens fan, it must be fustrating to think what might have been if Boller was properly developed

No doubt, Boller was an enigma to say the least. A pure case of a gifted ahtlete, horrible quarteback (though I'll say our o-line was suspect besides on the left side). The game never slowed down enough for him here in Baltimore and Billick/Fassel play calling was a huge detriment to his success.

I've added a few keys for the Pats.

We do not need to run the ball effectively in order to have an effective offense against Baltimore. But we do need to have an effective short yardage attack, using screens and short drops with timing routes to get the ball into our receivers'/backs' hands with some room to run.

Good point! I could have added a bunch more, but at that point I'd be getting to deep for the purpose of that post.

Last edited:
Bellicheck is better than Norv Turner.

cookie2.jpg

Brady and company started putting it together last week. I expect that they'll continue with this against Baltimore. My guess is that the Patriots will win, and they'll cover the spread.

As an aside..... does anyone know why the posting times are off, and whether anything else has been affected?

The team has several good tests later this year (this week, the jets and NO). The team wasn't as good as Jersey when we played them. We'll see whether we're better than Baltimore this week. To win would be great, but the bottom line for me is that both the offense and defense are works in progress and figure to get much better as the season develops.

Ravens fans certainly know their stuff--great discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand