PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens Week Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
THAT was one of the best series I have ever enjoyed watching. Great characters and plot lines.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiitttttt.

Whats up ya'll just thought I'd chime in.

1. I'm not afraid of New Englands running game. Look over the history of the defense and the one thing that is the common denominator is that the Ravens have a hard time against small speedy backs who can catch the ball on a screen and take advantage of an over-aggressive rush (i.e. Darren Sproles). Fred Taylor happens to be one of my favorite backs but he is a big power back, and unfortunately the Ravens aren't the type of team that you can just hand the ball up the middle 30 times a game and expect to have a lot of success. Most people tend to look at the Giants game last year and say well the teams overrated but it wasn't like the Giants just methodically ran the ball on us all game pushing our linemen off the ball. Yes Ahmad Bradshaw had 96 yards rushing buuuuut 77 of those came on one long run, take that away and you've 22 yards rushing. Jacobs had 73 yards rushing but 36 of those came on one run take that long run away and you've got 37 yards rushing. Ward had 41 yards rushing but 22 of those came on one run take that long run away and you've got 19 yards rushing. Of the Giants 215 yards rushing 135 of those came on 3 plays, take those 3 plays away and you have a whopping 80 yards combined rushing from Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Ward combined. It wasn't as horrible a game as people like to make it

That's alot of plays that you're taking away. Sorry to say, but it only takes one play to bust a game wide open. At the end of the day, the Giants made three more big plays than the Ravens did that game and that is why they won.

I'm not sure if we're ready yet for a challenge like Bmore. No Mayo, Brady is still off and Welker's status is uncertain. Looking forward to it but I'm going to temper my expectations. Another good test for our budding defense too, even before this start I thought Bmore's offense was very underrated. Mason I can tell is going to give us fits and they have a deep threat as well. Run game is no joke. Very tough game it's going to be, the good news is it's early and a loss wouldn't be the end of the world. Just hope for no injuries in what will surely be a physical game.

Oh, please.
What an insult to the team.
I'm not sure if we're ready???
Go watch Baseball.

It wasnt George Washington who won the Revolutionary War or any of the big names that they sold you. Its the guys that hold it together that never get mentioned that do the dirty work.

Don't believe the hype.

We need to minimize the turnovers because its going to be close.
They'll apply the pressure-attacking the pocket from the inside and outside. Our O line can handle anyone. Protection will be key again (Atlanta was a good ex) We'll def. be prepared for all the blitzing and where their guys are.

Our offensive adj. and play calling needs to be sharp. No need to gun it out or risk TO's-because the Ravens will get it and probably return it for 7.

Our D: I honestly think our D will limit their 1st downs and time of poss. Our offense will be out there a while.

I wish it was the Jets.
Can't wait for revenge and then give the game ball to Firetard .

One thing I'm seeing in several of these comments by the Raven fans is a focus on the Pats running game versus the Ravens run defense. I'm guessing that there is an assumption that because the Pats ran the ball 39 times against Atlanta (and won) that the team will plan on doing the same thing Sunday.

Belichick doesn't game plan that way at all. Last week's game plan was based specifically on Atlanta's personnel, their strengths, weaknesses and tendencies. This week's game plan will be based specifically on the Ravens' personnel, strengths, weaknesses and tendencies. In other words what the Patriots did last week has no bearing on what they will plan to attempt to do this week, in any of the three phases of the game.

So true. So true. The biggest match up of the day is going to be the Ravens Haloti Ngata against the Patriots Dan Koppen. Now any fool knows that Bill isn't going to leave Dan against Haloti one on one. Mostly he's going to get Neal or Mankins to help him out. Unfortunately, Mr. Baltimore, (aka Ray Lewis), is standing right behind Mr. Brick Wall, (Haloti Ngata), and isn't afraid to shoot a gap.

This may come as a shock to many people, but this particular game is going to require us to do something that I could not stand. We must throw the ball. We cannot run against the Ravens. We are not the Giants. They had a very powerful, physical offensive line. They had a very different offensive philosophy: kick the other guys head in with the running game. We do not. We are a finesse team. We may have impersonated a running team against the Falcons because of the obvious size advantage favoring our team. We will not have this advantage against the Ravens. They are physical. They may not be as good on defense as they were in previous years, but they still are dangerous.

I repeat that we must throw the ball. We must spread them out. There is no Darrelle Revis on this team. Mr. Moss should be able to use his height against the Ravens quick, but short, receivers. If we go with four receiver sets, we can expose some of the Ravens CB depth and get some honest one on one match ups. Once again, this is only possible because Moss will be double covered by two Ravens defenders. The remaining Ravens defenders will have to handle the Patriots complex schemes one on one.

The bad news is that Wes Welker may not play this game. Without Welker in this game, it will be very difficult securing a win. If we could get Welker and Edelman in the slots in four receiver sets, we can spread them out significantly.

Also, Tom Brady is still not Tom Brady. Don't let that last touchdown fool you. He is not there yet. We are going to need screens to help spread out this defense and get the Ravens to play less aggressively (see Welker, Wes).

The running game will not be completely neglected, but it will not be the focal point. We should try to sprinkle it in here and there in order to attempt to keep our offense honest (something we were atrociously bad at the first two games).

The good news is that the emergence of Brandon McGowan has given this defense a new wrinkle. They now have another friendly face that can cover and stop the run. We most likely wont stop Flacco cold. Most likely we'll try to contain his effectiveness by doubling Mason, and by taking away his tightends and running backs as passing options.

So true. So true. The biggest match up of the day is going to be the Ravens Haloti Ngata against the Patriots Dan Koppen. Now any fool knows that Bill isn't going to leave Dan against Haloti one on one. Mostly he's going to get Neal or Mankins to help him out. Unfortunately, Mr. Baltimore, (aka Ray Lewis), is standing right behind Mr. Brick Wall, (Haloti Ngata), and isn't afraid to shoot a gap.

This may come as a shock to many people, but this particular game is going to require us to do something that I could not stand. We must throw the ball. We cannot run against the Ravens. We are not the Giants. They had a very powerful, physical offensive line. They had a very different offensive philosophy: kick the other guys head in with the running game. We do not. We are a finesse team. We may have impersonated a running team against the Falcons because of the obvious size advantage favoring our team. We will not have this advantage against the Ravens. They are physical. They may not be as good on defense as they were in previous years, but they still are dangerous.

I repeat that we must throw the ball. We must spread them out. There is no Darrelle Revis on this team. Mr. Moss should be able to use his height against the Ravens quick, but short, receivers. If we go with four receiver sets, we can expose some of the Ravens CB depth and get some honest one on one match ups. Once again, this is only possible because Moss will be double covered by two Ravens defenders. The remaining Ravens defenders will have to handle the Patriots complex schemes one on one.

The bad news is that Wes Welker may not play this game. Without Welker in this game, it will be very difficult securing a win. If we could get Welker and Edelman in the slots in four receiver sets, we can spread them out significantly.

Also, Tom Brady is still not Tom Brady. Don't let that last touchdown fool you. He is not there yet. We are going to need screens to help spread out this defense and get the Ravens to play less aggressively (see Welker, Wes).

The running game will not be completely neglected, but it will not be the focal point. We should try to sprinkle it in here and there in order to attempt to keep our offense honest (something we were atrociously bad at the first two games).

The good news is that the emergence of Brandon McGowan has given this defense a new wrinkle. They now have another friendly face that can cover and stop the run. We most likely wont stop Flacco cold. Most likely we'll try to contain his effectiveness by doubling Mason, and by taking away his tightends and running backs as passing options.

Very good assessment, pretty much agree with everything you said.

One question, who is going to cover Heap one on one when you double Mason? Usually defenses don't bother doubling Mason, and he racks up his 70-90 yds with 8 receptions rather easily.

I hope you have a hell of a linebacker to take that assignment,that will be a mismatch all day.

The most dangerous thing about the Ravens offense right now is the balance. If you take away Mason we go to Clayton. If you take away both of them we have Heap. Next up is Kelly Washington who is absolutely fearless going over the middle and has made big catches in every game so far.

If ALL that is covered we have Rice who can catch a 5 yd dump off and turn it into 15 yds,or McClain who has some of the best feet and hands of a 265 pound fullback I have ever seen. He usually catches a 3-4 yd pass, makes a guy miss and then runs over 2 other guys for a 8-10 yd gain.

The options are almost endless for Flacco and it is one of the reasons we are 2nd overall right now on that side of the ball.

Last edited:
Very good assessment, pretty much agree with everything you said.

One question, who is going to cover Heap one on one when you double Mason? Usually defenses don't bother doubling Mason, and he racks up his 70-90 yds with 8 receptions rather easily.

I hope you have a hell of a linebacker to take that assignment,that will be a mismatch all day.

The most dangerous thing about the Ravens offense right now is the balance. If you take away Mason we go to Clayton. If you take away both of them we have Heap. Next up is Kelly Washington who is absolutely fearless going over the middle and has made big catches in every game so far.

If ALL that is covered we have Rice who can catch a 5 yd dump off and turn it into 15 yds,or McClain who has some of the best feet and hands of a 265 pound fullback I have ever seen. He usually catches a 3-4 yd pass, makes a guy miss and then runs over 2 other guys for a 8-10 yd gain.

The options are almost endless for Flacco and it is one of the reasons we are 2nd overall right now on that side of the ball.

Your screen name is pretty cool. I like it.

One question, who is going to cover Heap one on one when you double Mason? Usually defenses don't bother doubling Mason, and he racks up his 70-90 yds with 8 receptions rather easily. .

IMHO, i don't think BB will double Mason. I think his priority will be to stop the run, and leave the secondary in man cov. As for Heap, he's no Tony G, but yeah he could cause a mismatch. I think we'll see Mcgowan cover Heap.

And for the record, D-Mas is the best player the Titans ever foolishly let go. I was really hoping he would sign with NE that year. Should be a good game. Good luck.

One more thing, you Raven fans are so much cooler than the Jets fans who show up here, and have nothing intelligent to say. :eek:
:welcome:

IMHO, i don't think BB will double Mason. I think his priority will be to stop the run, and leave the secondary in man cov. As for Heap, he's no Tony G, but yeah he could cause a mismatch. I think we'll see Mcgowan cover Heap.

And for the record, D-Mas is the best player the Titans ever foolishly let go. I was really hoping he would sign with NE that year. Should be a good game. Good luck.

One more thing, you Raven fans are so much cooler than the Jets fans who show up here, and have nothing intelligent to say. :eek:
:welcome:

I completely agree about both your points. Bodden will get Mason, McGowan will help out with Heap, and BB will stop the run and force Flacco to beat them. I'm hoping for a couple of INTs in this game.

Not true.

KC blocked one punt for a TD, and took an interception to the two yard line.

We gave up 14 points to KC, 3 to Cleveland, and 26 to San Diego on the road; none of those totals bother me, I'm just annoyed by how small our CBs are, which bodes well for Moss especially.

Bfan, What do you do with the Ravens?

I want to also congratulate the thoughtful views of the Ravens fans visiting. Its nice to just talk football. We usually have the complete nitwits from JESTer land visit; and they are a total waste of time, with but a single exception. The Purple have a complete, tough, club. The Ravens play football as it was meant to be played. Run, Pass and defend the Run and defend the Pass. And excel on Special Teams, and are not afraid to get down in the mud and get your uniform dirty. But so can the Patriots.

The tools to give the Ravens a very hard time are there on the Pats roster. I just don't know how many will be healthy for this match, though.

The Pats have superb accomplished, pro bowl level, deep speed at both WRs, but it hasn't quite gelled yet. The Pats have an awesome combination of a short, intermediate receiving game; but it isn't certain to be fully healthy.

Ravens fans can only hope the breakout explosion doesn't happen in their game. Five potential TDs passes were slightly off against the Falcons, otherwise it would have been a 56-10 type of game. Ditto against the Jets. Three potential TDs were just slightly missed, which would have blown open that game too. In all those cases defensive coverage had nothing to do with it. It was just slight mis-timing between Brady and his receivers.

Don't underestimate the Pats run game. It finished with 2500 yards last season or a century and half rushng yardage per game, when it was necessary to be used; helping a replacement QB who had little experience. All five starters, three ex-probowlers, started then and start now. Probably unimportant, but the depth is now superb; the fatal flaw in the SB 2007, when two starters and the best blitz pickup RB all went down early, and the Giants pass rush won the game for them. After being rendered impotent but two weeks prior, with the current starters all playing then and now.

What ever the outcome this next week, and I expect a hard fought close game won by NE at home, don't expect a repeat later. The next time the Patriots see the Ravens in the Playoffs, this Patriots team will be even much more powerful, and the gameplan quite different. Belichick is just that kind of Coach.

Last edited:
Anybody have Bodden's stats as a Cleveland Brown playing against Mason? I know Chad Ochocinco (then Johnson) said Bodden played him toughest when Bodden was with the Browns.

QB12

Well they dialed it up against Ryan, so I would expect much the same against Flacco. No more waiting for the D to gel, time to get after people.

To beat a blitz, it certainly helps to have a probowl short-intermediate, dumpoff WR. Too bad Welker wasn't there in the JETs game. It is questionable if he will play against the Purple Gang. If he is, the Ravens pressure Defense is in trouble... :snob:

Last edited:
To beat a blitz, it certainly helps to have a probowl short-intermediate, dumpoff WR. Too bad Welker wasn't there in the JETs game. It is questionable if he will play against the Purple Gang. If he is, the Ravens pressure Defense is in trouble... :snob:

Welker would be a huge asset, but even if he is out I would still expect a lot of short passes with 3 step drops to Edelman, Faulk, Maroney and the TEs. And Moss is quite capable of playing the slot, with Galloway going deep.

I completely agree about both your points. Bodden will get Mason, McGowan will help out with Heap, and BB will stop the run and force Flacco to beat them. I'm hoping for a couple of INTs in this game.

it's obvious Flacco is the real deal. If I was going to start a franchise and could select any QB, he would be my choice.

However, Mason/Heap/Clayton are not Jerry Rice/Kellen Winslow Sr/ Chris Carter.

I'm hoping for a couple of INTs in this game.

Agreed .
I said the same thing in my first post in this thread , our D and Special Team must help us to get the W.

This game is the first real test , to see where we are at.

Friday night at 9 on NFL Network is the replay of Ravens/Pats November 2007 game

Last edited:
We're long overdue for some INT's. We'll get some to add on to the offensive pts.

We need to minimize the turnovers because its going to be close.
They'll apply the pressure-attacking the pocket from the inside and outside. [/b]Our O line can handle anyone. Protection will be key again (Atlanta was a good ex) We'll def. be prepared for all the blitzing and where their guys are.[/b]

Our offensive adj. and play calling needs to be sharp. No need to gun it out or risk TO's-because the Ravens will get it and probably return it for 7.

Our D: I honestly think our D will limit their 1st downs and time of poss. Our offense will be out there a while.

I wish it was the Jets.
Can't wait for revenge and then give the game ball to Firetard .

Not sure that's a rational assessment. Our OL has yet to prove it can handle pressure up the middle particularly when combined with well disguised blitzing. Bill stated on Monday that Baltimore's front 7 is the best we will face and better talent wise than the JETS who needed Rex's exotic blitz schemes to create sufficient pressure. Baltimore can bring it with or without the blitz. The OL performed much better on Sunday against the kind of pressure they are accustomed to dealing with...a lighter front rushing only 3 or 4 and a lone outside threat speed rusher. On the bright side their secondary is their weaker link although Ed Reed is something of an equalizer to put it mildly. Moss should be able to get open deep if Brady can remain upright long enough. If they can connect early it will force Reed deep and give Brady the underneath stuff with lots of weapons (slot, TE, RB) to hit. The other key for us will be red zone performance. If we continue to stall it will be a long freakin' afternoon.

When two elite teams meet the battle is usually won or lost in the trenches. I think it will be tough sledding for either team on the ground. We have a deeper overall secondary but absent an effective pass rush they will also be tested. Flacco is more mobile than Ryan and mobile QB's can give us fits.

ST will be anpther key and we need better returns as well as better coverage. I hope Welker and Maroney are both active for that reason alone. We need to limit penalties as we did Sunday and continue to limit turnovers. If we win that battle it will be huge.

This team played us tough in 2007 when Brady and this offense were in perfect synch and their QB was a raw rookie running a limited playbook. They've lost a DC and LB since while we lost a year of Brady in this offense as well as our OC, and while we've added weapons on paper they have yet to show they can perform/execute as a unit consistently while Flacco and the Ravens have clearly shown they now at least have an offense beyond on the ground.

If we can meet this challenge early in the season I think we hit the bye at 6-1 and just get better as the days get shorter because historically, barring injury, that is what Belichick teams do. In fact it's what the iron of this conference has pretty consistently done over the last several seasons (NE, Indy, Pittsburgh). Baltimore and the NYJ are off to mid season form starts, but their HC/organizations don't have a track record of maintaining or improving on that form down the stretch or into the second season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back