PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Connolly receives extension through 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be surprised either. But the issue for me is Neal's age and health. He just can't stay on the field. His absence arguably cost us the 2008 SB, and it has hurt us badly the past 2 seasons. I'll take a healthy Mankins over an injured Neal any day.

You and I both seem to agree that there's not a backup on this team that can come close to making up for Neal's absence. So, unless the CBA is worked out in the next couple of months, this shouldn't be an "either/or" scenario, in my opinion. To me, the question would be one of Neal's salary demands. Perhaps a lower salary with a per game bonus would be a way for the team to go. This would give the team another year to find and groom a suitable replacement.

.......but for the folks that complain that LoMo doesn't hit the home runs, they have something to back that up.

Well, sure, although it makes sense that he isn't hitting those home runs, when you look at the run blocking and play calling. Frankly, I'm more than just a little impressed by the lack of worse "stuffed" numbers, given how often we see running plays blown up at the snap.

You and I both seem to agree that there's not a backup on this team that can come close to making up for Neal's absence. So, unless the CBA is worked out in the next couple of months, this shouldn't be an "either/or" scenario, in my opinion. To me, the question would be one of Neal's salary demands. Perhaps a lower salary with a per game bonus would be a way for the team to go. This would give the team another year to find and groom a suitable replacement.

I'm fine with resigning both Mankins and Neal if it can be done, which largely depends on salary demands. My concern is that even if we keep Neal we can't rely on him to stay healthy and in the lineup for a full season, or to be around much longer, and so we need someone who can step in without a big dropoff in play and take over in a year or so. I don't see Rich Ohrnberger being that guy. So either we go Neal/Ohrnberger/Connolly and pray Neal stays healthy (not a good bet), or we draft someone fairly high. In the latter scenario, do we keep Neal around given his cost, age and health issues and cut Ohrnberger, or do we not resign Neal? I don't know the answer.

I'm fine with resigning both Mankins and Neal if it can be done, which largely depends on salary demands. My concern is that even if we keep Neal we can't rely on him to stay healthy and in the lineup for a full season, or to be around much longer, and so we need someone who can step in without a big dropoff in play and take over in a year or so. I don't see Rich Ohrnberger being that guy. So either we go Neal/Ohrnberger/Connolly and pray Neal stays healthy (not a good bet), or we draft someone fairly high. In the latter scenario, do we keep Neal around given his cost, age and health issues and cut Ohrnberger, or do we not resign Neal? I don't know the answer.

Well, they've got the 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. I'm hoping for D-line with pick #1, followed by linebacker, receiver and O-lineman in some order, if they use all 4 picks as is.

Of course, this is just what I perceive as need based, and I've not started looking at the draft yet, so I can't say whether or not I think it would make sense to draft those positions that high.

Sure, Neal can't be counted on for a full season, one would could look at the Connolly extension and BB's earlier remark this season (where he said Connolly was playing well enough to be competitive for starting time) and see how BB is building his depth early. Besides Orhnberger, BB has Bussey coming off IR and Wendell camped on the Practice Squad (I thought Wendell was playing better than Connolly early on and was the one sent down because he was the least likely to get snatched by one of the other teams). As 2010 currently stands - assuming an uncapped season since it appears that's what the owners are leaning towards:

LT: Light, Vollmer, Kaczur, Levoir, and Bussey have all played there (Bussey in college).
LG: Mankins, Connolly, Wendell, Orhnberger, Bussey, Light (you projected a trade to KC in the draft forum, no reason to think NE couldn't decide to move Mankins and keep Light).
C: Koppen, Connolly, Wendell, Orhnberger.
RG: Connolly, Wendell, Orhnberger, Bussey.
RT: Kaczur, Vollmer, LeVoir, Bussey.

NE needs at least six OL in the offseason for camp competition, but for 2010 the only 'top 7' OL not signed is Neal and he can probably be re-signed for vet minimum with a playing time incentive.

Last edited:
NE needs at least six OL in the offseason for camp competition, but for 2010 the only 'top 7' OL not signed is Neal and he can probably be re-signed for vet minimum with a playing time incentive.

Box, normally you and I see eye to eye on most things, but, how big a playing time incentive are we talking about here?

Neal's cap hit this year is $3.4M, only $800K of which was signing bonus.

Rather bring in a Kevin Mawae and squeeze a couple of years out of him and move Koppen over to Neal's spot. I have a feeling Mankins is walking, so this signing confirms what the FO believes also, good-bye Logan.

We can draft an OG in the bottom of R2 and use the top 3 picks to manuver for a top flight OLB.

Box, normally you and I see eye to eye on most things, but, how big a playing time incentive are we talking about here?

Neal's cap hit this year is $3.4M, only $800K of which was signing bonus.
Per Patriots.com's unofficial roster, Neal will be a 9th year player which in 2009 = $745K veteran minimum salary. His salary this year off the last contract was $2.5M. If he's here, and healthy, he starts over Connolly or one of the younger guys. I'd lean toward's offering him $150-200K signing bonus, vet minimum (call it $745K for argument's sake) and a playing time incentive that can get him back to his $2.5M 2009 salary range if he meets it. He's worth the signing bonus just as competition for Connolly and Co. in Training Camp.

You projected a trade to KC in the draft forum, no reason to think NE couldn't decide to move Mankins and keep Light.

No reason at all, especially if you think Kaczur might be able to play OG. Mankins play has been somewhat inconsistent and he appears to have regressed a bit. I agree with Deus that the Pats may even consider Neal to be the superior OG when healthy.

But Mankins should have much more trade value than Light. He's a pro bowl OG, and he has a fairly well established reputation. In an uncapped year he's an RFA, and I think the Pats tender him at the highest level (a 1st and a 3rd, I believe). If someone wants to sign him to a big offer sheet then I take those picks, and draft some like Iupati/Ducasse/Carimi/Johnson to replace him for less money. Kaczur could back up both Vollmer at RT and Neal at RG, with Ohrnberger/Bussey/Connolly/Wendell for depth. Not a bad option at all, especially if you believe that Ohrnberger could take over in 2011. Even if no one signs Mankins, you might be able to get a late 1st/early 2nd for him in trade.

No reason at all, especially if you think Kaczur might be able to play OG. Mankins play has been somewhat inconsistent and he appears to have regressed a bit. I agree with Deus that the Pats may even consider Neal to be the superior OG when healthy.

But Mankins should have much more trade value than Light. He's a pro bowl OG, and he has a fairly well established reputation. In an uncapped year he's an RFA, and I think the Pats tender him at the highest level (a 1st and a 3rd, I believe). If someone wants to sign him to a big offer sheet then I take those picks, and draft some like Iupati/Ducasse/Carimi/Johnson to replace him for less money. Kaczur could back up both Vollmer at RT and Neal at RG, with Ohrnberger/Bussey/Connolly/Wendell for depth. Not a bad option at all, especially if you believe that Ohrnberger could take over in 2011. Even if no one signs Mankins, you might be able to get a late 1st/early 2nd for him in trade.
Yep, Mankins has regressed to the tune of back-to-back game balls.

Yep, Mankins has regressed to the tune of back-to-back game balls.

Mankins is a fine OG, and I've never suggested trading him before you brought it up. But he has been somewhat more inconsistent this season, with some poor games and uncharacteristic penalties, mixed in with some terrific performances. I'd love to keep him and see Vollmer and Mankins one the left side for the future, but (and again, it was your suggestion, not mine) if the Pats decided to let him go elsewhere and take the picks for him, I think they could bring in someone like an Iupati and get good production at the position. Mankins started as a rookie, after all.

I agree with these comments. Having Connolly to at least compete in camp has to be a good thing. If he doesn't make the team because there are five better interior linemen, so much the better.

Wrapping up a versatile OL at a cheap price for the long term is a good thing. If we end up with better options, if will be a small price to pay for long term security. He'll end up being our #5 OG/C.

Koppen/Ohrnberger/Connolly are locked up. Resign one of Mankins/Neal (preferably Mankins because of age and injury issues with Neal) and draft a replacement, and the position should be set. Koppen should be more effective if we can get a quality RG playing next to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back