PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Totally Premature Top 10 Rankings for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The season ended less than 12 hours ago and we have no idea if or when a new CBA will be agreed upon. No free agents have signed, no trades have been made, no draft picks have been selected. And yet, I offer you my top 10 rankings for 2011.

1. Green Bay. This is the one team we were all worried about heading into the playoffs, and for good reason. They were picked by many to win the SB this year before the season began, and for good reason. They're really good with a great QB. Young, resilient, good on both sides of the ball. They're a force to be reckoned with, and they just won the championship. Can't fairly put anyone else in the top spot. The good news is that it's very hard to repeat (only one team has repeated since 2000), so maybe we'll see a drop off.

2. New England. The reigning MVP and coach of the year. A 14-2 record. The #1 offense and the youngest defense in the league, which had improved considerably in the 2nd half of the year. Tons of $$ to play with and a boatload of high draft picks. It all adds up to a top tier team, no matter how you slice it.

3. Pittsburgh. They're really good, built for ongoing excellence. I don't see them going away.

4. New Orleans. They have some RB issues, but they are also an excellent team. Brees is remarkable, and I don't see him having quite so many INTs as last year, which really hurt them. Don't be surprised by a big rebound year in 2011.

5. Baltimore. The Ravens are solid in every aspect. I think Flacco continues to improve. The D is getting a little older (Lewis, Suggs, Reed, etc.), but they should have enough for one more big year. Their problem is that they're in the same division as the Steelers.

6. NY Jets. I don't like them, and the Rex Ryan "We're gonna win it all this year....and this time, I really mean it!" schtick is going to get old at some point, but this team has a lot of talent. Sanchez is still not exactly an all-pro, but he was better in 2010 than he was in 2009, and should be better still in 2011. They're going to be a real pain in the butt, even though they're going to lose several key guys.

7. San Diego. I expect a bounce-back season from the Chargers. They have a lot of good players, and Rivers is excellent. They'll start off 2-3 or something like that and end up with 10 or 11 wins and go into the playoffs as one of those "teams you don't want to face". But you'll end up beating them (unless you're the Colts) because they still have Norv Turner as their head coach.

8. Indianapolis. They are on the back nine for sure, but I think that they'll have one more really good season left in them. Call it between 10-12 wins and they'll be a team that scares us as Pats fans. We may make fun of Peyton Manning, but we will not be comfortable if, in the divisional round of the playoffs, he has the ball with 2 minutes to go down 5 points. Not comfortable at all.

9. Atlanta. They probably won't be as good as they were this past season, but they'll still be solid. Mike Smith is an outstanding coach and they have excellent skill position guys in Ryan, Turner, and White.

10. Dallas. Big rebound year from the Cowboys, who played very hard under Jason Garrett. They have tons of talented players, and I think they'll win the NFC East next year. Still not sold on Romo in the playoffs but if he's healthy, they'll make some noise during the regular season.

Others to consider: Philly, NY Giants, Chicago

The season ended less than 12 hours ago and we have no idea if or when a new CBA will be agreed upon. No free agents have signed, no trades have been made, no draft picks have been selected. And yet, I offer you my top 10 rankings for 2011.

1. Green Bay. This is the one team we were all worried about heading into the playoffs, and for good reason. They were picked by many to win the SB this year before the season began, and for good reason. They're really good with a great QB. Young, resilient, good on both sides of the ball. They're a force to be reckoned with, and they just won the championship. Can't fairly put anyone else in the top spot. The good news is that it's very hard to repeat (only one team has repeated since 2000), so maybe we'll see a drop off.

2. New England. The reigning MVP and coach of the year. A 14-2 record. The #1 offense and the youngest defense in the league, which had improved considerably in the 2nd half of the year. Tons of $$ to play with and a boatload of high draft picks. It all adds up to a top tier team, no matter how you slice it.

3. Pittsburgh. They're really good, built for ongoing excellence. I don't see them going away.

4. New Orleans. They have some RB issues, but they are also an excellent team. Brees is remarkable, and I don't see him having quite so many INTs as last year, which really hurt them. Don't be surprised by a big rebound year in 2011.

5. Baltimore. The Ravens are solid in every aspect. I think Flacco continues to improve. The D is getting a little older (Lewis, Suggs, Reed, etc.), but they should have enough for one more big year. Their problem is that they're in the same division as the Steelers.

Can't quibble too much with the top 5 rationale but I think the Ravens D may really be heading for the back 9 and there's been some rumbling between players and the HC and I think Flacco has a ceiling and he's hit it and it would take the 85 Bears D to prop him up beyond what you've seen so far.

6. NY Jets. I don't like them, and the Rex Ryan "We're gonna win it all this year....and this time, I really mean it!" schtick is going to get old at some point, but this team has a lot of talent. Sanchez is still not exactly an all-pro, but he was better in 2010 than he was in 2009, and should be better still in 2011. They're going to be a real pain in the butt, even though they're going to lose several key guys.

7. San Diego. I expect a bounce-back season from the Chargers. They have a lot of good players, and Rivers is excellent. They'll start off 2-3 or something like that and end up with 10 or 11 wins and go into the playoffs as one of those "teams you don't want to face". But you'll end up beating them (unless you're the Colts) because they still have Norv Turner as their head coach.

8. Indianapolis. They are on the back nine for sure, but I think that they'll have one more really good season left in them. Call it between 10-12 wins and they'll be a team that scares us as Pats fans. We may make fun of Peyton Manning, but we will not be comfortable if, in the divisional round of the playoffs, he has the ball with 2 minutes to go down 5 points. Not comfortable at all.

I'd invert these 3. Rex message is going to become increasingly hollow as Tannenbaum struggles to just keep a window open short term as is their perpetual MO... Indy is on the back 9 but in a division with Tennessee and Jacksonville Peyton will still drag them to the playoffs and potentially with a bye. Pittsburgh and Baltimore still have each other to contend with and Pittsburgh will also have to contend with SB losers letdown. SD is who we thought they are, talented overhyped frauds. Although with Haley making his power play in KC (shame on Pioli) and the still QB-less Raiders once again starting over from scratch with another rookie HC, and the Tim Tebow experiment still to unfold in Denver as they too start over again from scratch...the Superfrauds could again manage double digits and even take that bumbling division.

9. Atlanta. They probably won't be as good as they were this past season, but they'll still be solid. Mike Smith is an outstanding coach and they have excellent skill position guys in Ryan, Turner, and White.

10. Dallas. Big rebound year from the Cowboys, who played very hard under Jason Garrett. They have tons of talented players, and I think they'll win the NFC East next year. Still not sold on Romo in the playoffs but if he's healthy, they'll make some noise during the regular season.

Others to consider: Philly, NY Giants, Chicago

I think Atlanta will again be a contender. Not Dallas, Philly, the Eli's (although someone has to win that division and it won't be the 'Skins) or the Cutler's.... Perhaps St. Louis with Josh joining a ROY QB as well as Spags and Suh. Tampa could be in the mix as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back