PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapapport: Martellus Bennett turned down a $7M per year offer from the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the amount of cap space I don't see a scenario where Bennett is not resigned unless he wants crazy money. We have many other positions that need to be restocked in the draft. Tight end is a luxury.

Considering Gronkowski's injury history, I would say finding a good 2nd tight end in the draft or free agency if Bennett signs elsewhere is a necessity. A good tight end makes this offense run smoothly.

Our last five drafts, we have picked a defensive player first. I would like to see the patriots draft offense first in the next draft if there is a productive O lineman or a legitimate skilled position player available at 32. Then address defense in rounds 2-3. Of course BB usually goes with best available player, he doesn't draft on need.

The book "war room" is a must read for patriots fans wanting an inside look on how BB evaluates players for the draft

Worst case they could franchise tag him for a year. TE franchise tag is a comparative bargain (under $10m).

Considering Gronkowski's injury history, I would say finding a good 2nd tight end in the draft or free agency if Bennett signs elsewhere is a necessity. A good tight end makes this offense run smoothly.

Our last five drafts, we have picked a defensive player first. I would like to see the patriots draft offense first in the next draft if there is a productive O lineman or a legitimate skilled position player available at 32. Then address defense in rounds 2-3. Of course BB usually goes with best available player, he doesn't draft on need.

The book "war room" is a must read for patriots fans wanting an inside look on how BB evaluates players for the draft

Having a good TE3 is luxury. If one of the day 3 selections unexpectedly turns out to be good then great but you won't find anything reasonable in FA.

Won't get into drafting needs until we are well after FA and have an idea what is actually happening next season. But generally speaking we need reinforcements all over the place on defense given the amount of players that could walk (Harmon, Ryan, Sheard..), are gone already (Chandler Jones, Collins..) and those that are closer to the end than their start (Nink, Long).

If you wanna speculate already visit the draft board. Tons of insightful and clever people there.

He's betting on himself and I can't say I necessarily disagree. Many we're saying he'd take a lower deal because he's so happy to be here. But this is a business first and foremost.

I hope they find something that works for both sides. The man is a very good to great TE and we could use him for years to come. As much as I love Gronk, I am coming to terms with it being what it is with him. He may never play a full season again in his career.

I said elsewhere it bothers me a bit he didn't speak to the media after the game yesterday, which seems unlike him, at least while he's been on the Pats.

Martellus Bennett is a young 30 when FA starts in 2017 he literally sat Four years behind that Stud Jason Witten. He broke out in Chicago and except for 2015 when he played 11 games: in his career thus far Bennett has not missed alot of games to injury like Gronk. That said the Balls in Bennett court if the Pats don't pay up somebody else will. I think locking Bennett for three years or 4 years would be money well spent the guy brings alot to the Table and he's willing to play hurt.

30 years old, nagging injuries this whole season, injuries in past, bad lockeroom guy (has been controlled so far this year)

...already know where that will end.

It's either Bennett, full confidence in Gronk's return, or an early round draft pick... I would think. Good tight ends seem scarce around the league so I expect few free agents to be available. Anybody know??
This draft is stocked with quality TE's FWIW.

no team is paying him 7m/yr

He needs to have a Gronk-like stretch to have any chance at that.

Reed, Kelce and Ertz all received ~$14m in guarantees and all 3+ years younger than Marty.

no team is paying him 7m/yr

If there is a team willing to pay that I hope it's not us.

I like Bennett, but I have some doubts about him as well. The biggest knock I have on him is attitude. I feel his attitude seem to follow his number of targets. He's a good player - though not a game changer - but something's off. I can't completely put my finger on it.

I know I might be in the minority on this one, but I'm fine with letting him go at the end of the season.

No doubt Gronk's departure has improved Bennett's negotiation position. But that being said, any talk about Bennett's good locker room behavior is dictated by how many looks he gets during a game, has to be looked at now with a grain of salt. It seems pretty clear to me that Bennett will always be happy with the wins, regardless of how many looks he gets.

That being said I'm sure the Pats will need for him to be more productive than we've see thus far, and I look forward to him being "that" guy at TE for the Pats. As far as the future I think that based on what the Pats have seen from him this year, a three year $7MM/yr deal is something I can live with ($11MM guaranteed)

The significant result of the recent Gronk injury is that he's never going to get more money from the team like it was "reported" by the mediots. They have him under contract for the next 3 years at decent (if not top), money, and given his injury history why would they give him even more money.

I said elsewhere it bothers me a bit he didn't speak to the media after the game yesterday, which seems unlike him, at least while he's been on the Pats.
No prob. He had what, two catches, on Brady's big day? No reason for him to be seeking the spotlight. He's hurting, let him rest and heal in private. Probably should've been in the training room or the tub not in front of a mike. He's shown a good attitude all year, no reason to come down on him now just because Gronk's hurt.

No prob. He had what, two catches, on Brady's big day? No reason for him to be seeking the spotlight. He's hurting, let him rest and heal in private. Probably should've been in the training room or the tub not in front of a mike. He's shown a good attitude all year, no reason to come down on him now just because Gronk's hurt.
I'm not, and would think/hope it's nothing.

I like Bennett, but I have some doubts about him as well. The biggest knock I have on him is attitude. I feel his attitude seem to follow his number of targets. He's a good player - though not a game changer - but something's off. I can't completely put my finger on it.

I know I might be in the minority on this one, but I'm fine with letting him go at the end of the season.

Explain. Body language?

No doubt Gronk's departure has improved Bennett's negotiation position. But that being said, any talk about Bennett's good locker room behavior is dictated by how many looks he gets during a game, has to be looked at now with a grain of salt. It seems pretty clear to me that Bennett will always be happy with the wins, regardless of how many looks he gets.

That being said I'm sure the Pats will need for him to be more productive than we've see thus far, and I look forward to him being "that" guy at TE for the Pats. As far as the future I think that based on what the Pats have seen from him this year, a three year $7MM/yr deal is something I can live with ($11MM guaranteed)

The significant result of the recent Gronk injury is that he's never going to get more money from the team like it was "reported" by the mediots. They have him under contract for the next 3 years at decent (if not top), money, and given his injury history why would they give him even more money.
Marty has had a great attitude all year, regardless of his own personal stats. That's been consistent, don't see any reason it would change just because he is now the go-to guy instead of Gronk. He seems happy to be on a winning team with a healthy locker room chemistry. I think he's shown the ability to be productive earlier this year, all he needs to do is to do his job. If he does that and Josh and Tommy do theirs he'll make enough of a contribution to stick around a few more years.

Wasn't that the allegation when he was stuck on a bad team in Chicago with Cutler as QB? I recall seeing that before the season, have not seen any evidence of it since he has been playing here. Of course having Brady as QB is a bit of an upgrade over Cutler, that might affect any receiver's attitude.

Wasn't that the allegation when he was stuck on a bad team in Chicago with Cutler as QB? I recall seeing that before the season, have not seen any evidence of it since he has been playing here. Of course having Brady as QB is a bit of an upgrade over Cutler, that might affect any receiver's attitude.

I'm surprised he didn't slit his wrists.

30 years old, nagging injuries this whole season, injuries in past, bad lockeroom guy (has been controlled so far this year)

...already know where that will end.
This draft is stocked with quality TE's FWIW.

Unfortunately, this has always been my belief (one year rental). Hope he stays, though I just can't see Belichick paying him much more than 7m dollars, and rightfully so. Gronk's cap hit is 7m next season, and all of our other receiving/rushing options are much less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back