PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rap: Mayo is the new HC

“What have you got? …. A whole showroom?”

classic Bill

we’ll miss these
We’ve missed them for a while, he hasn’t been this guy for a long time unfortunately. Too stoic and reserved. The players still liked him, but he obviously wasn’t making the effort to connect to them now like he was in these clips. Mayo will be different in a huge way in that regard. In fact, Mayo being on staff may be the reason why the defense remained engaged all year - because he was connecting with them.

Hm. Well don’t love not doing a coaching search. Hopefully he can bring in some fresh faces.

This is clear benefit of hiring a young head coach. For the most part the coaches in their 60’s and early 70’s aren’t in touch with the emerging young assistants who are leading the way in innovations and play design. Hopefully Mayo has been doing the work to get ready for his HC role by figuring out who he would try to bring in to be his assistants when the time came. And the same goes for who to get rid of, which is a much easier list for us to come up with. I would start by clearing out many of the coaches on Belichick’s staff, like Judge, O’Brien, Achord, Troy Brown, and whomever took over the OL when Klemm left. And I old try to bring MacDaniels back, for as bad as a HC as he has been, he’s a really good OC, and they will need someone who works well with young QB’s, which is a strength for him. And even though many won’t like it I would see if Steven Belichick wants the be the DC, because their defense is really good, and the continuity would help keep it that way, while also allowing Mayo to keep focusing on the bigger picture. Then Mayo will have his 2 coordinators, and he can start building the rest of his staff with good young minds that can grow with his team.

To me the Steven Belichick decision will be really interesting. Does he want to follow his dad to a shorter term gig for another franchise, or be on his own with a HC he has been working side by side with for a few years? As much as being with his dad must be enjoyable for him, I think his best bet would be to strike out on his own now, especially if becoming a HC is what he is shooting for, which it almost certainly is. I think his brother will follow his dad wherever he goes.

The other really big decision is pretty much out of Mayo’s hands, although you would think that his relationship with Groh, Wolf, or both will play a role in the Kraft’s GM decision. I don’t think they can keep both, as other franchises have tried to hire Wolf in recent years, but he’s has stuck with the Patriots. My gut tells me that Groh was Belichick’s choice, and I’m leaning towards naming Wolf the GM, and letting Groh leave with Belichick.

I like the fact that they acted decisively in naming Mayo, the entire front office and coaching staff is obviously in flux at a time when many big decisions need to be made about the coaching staff, scouting department, re-signing/releasing decisions on players, free agency, and the Draft, so the more clarity they have in every area the greater likelihood of the best outcomes. Fortunately I think the Kraft’s got out ahead of these decisions, and have done their homework on all of them, and will act swiftly in making them.

The Patriots were required to conduct at least one minority outside interview, correct?

Apparently not. I’m guessing that if you hire a minority candidate from within your organization you are exempt from those requirements. The Kraft’s know the rules, and I can’t see them risking penalties to hire the guy they were going to hire anyways.

Apparently not. I’m guessing that if you hire a minority candidate from within your organization you are exempt from those requirements. The Kraft’s know the rules, and I can’t see them risking penalties to hire the guy they were going to hire anyways.
I think Fred on Pats Unfiltered said something similar in that if it is an internal promotion you do not need to follow the Rooney rule , however don't take this as accurate , I don't know myself.

I think Fred on Pats Unfiltered said something similar in that if it is an internal promotion you do not need to follow the Rooney rule , however don't take this as accurate , I don't know myself.

I honestly don’t know, but I think the Kraft’s know the rule completely, especially since they have been planning this transition for at least a year. I don’t see them jeopardizing their #3 pick to make a hire they knew they were making a year in advance.

Let’s try giving him a fair chance. It’s okay to have an opinion on his ability to coach this team but the reality is we won’t know for sure until we give him his shot

i'm more worried about the GM and how mayo fills out his staff.

both of those are more important IMO. bad drafting and Bill keeping the smallest staff in the NFL and hamstringing guys is why we are where we are.

I wonder if we keep some guys now like Kyle Duggar/Onwenu/uche who were hitting free agency.

we need to keep the defense intact, keeping our guys while building out the offense

It’s been posted MULTIPLE times in this thread even ( I believe); and at least 3 other threads:

If a SUCCESSION CLAUSE is written into a coach’s contract THE ROONEY RULE DOES NOT APPLY for him to take over that next job.

I honestly don’t know, but I think the Kraft’s know the rule completely, especially since they have been planning this transition for at least a year. I don’t see them jeopardizing their #3 pick to make a hire they knew they were making a year in advance.
If you have a succession plan written into a contract and inform the NFL at the time of the contract, you do not need to follow the Rooney rule regardless of whether the person is a minority that you are hiring.
It's been used 4 times in the NFL, Jim Mora (2009), Jim Caldwell (2009), Eric Decosta (2018) and Jerod Mayo

It’s been posted MULTIPLE times in this thread even ( I believe); and at least 3 other threads:

If a SUCCESSION CLAUSE is written into a coach’s contract THE ROONEY RULE DOES NOT APPLY for him to take over that next job.

That’s odd. That means a franchise can pass on HC from one white coach to the next and so on….Which would defeat the purpose of the rule.

We’ve missed them for a while, he hasn’t been this guy for a long time unfortunately. Too stoic and reserved. The players still liked him, but he obviously wasn’t making the effort to connect to them now like he was in these clips. Mayo will be different in a huge way in that regard. In fact, Mayo being on staff may be the reason why the defense remained engaged all year - because he was connecting with them.
How was he obviously not doing what he did his whole life? Have you read the comments from players after he was fired? Making things up doesn’t help the discussion

I don't agree on Warren. He was a very good 3-4 End. He was brick wall in 2006 and made First Team All Pro in 2007.
I agree on Ty Warren, a really good DL.

If you have a succession plan written into a contract and inform the NFL at the time of the contract, you do not need to follow the Rooney rule regardless of whether the person is a minority that you are hiring.
It's been used 4 times in the NFL, Jim Mora (2009), Jim Caldwell (2009), Eric Decosta (2018) and Jerod Mayo
Didn’t Belichick have the same clause with the Jets?

For this current generation you need a Players Coach and not a disciplinarian.
I didn't say a "disciplinarian," I said a "Team Builder." There's a difference. And, one person's "disciplinarian" is another person's "tough leader."

Heck, if Vinitieri had made two very make-able FGs in '99, Carroll would've had a 10-6 record that season & a WC berth, either 5th or 6th seed.
If Martin wasn't stolen and Coates wasn't hurt they would have beat the Steelers in 98. Then maybe Carrol stays.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back