Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Where do you think Belichick ranks as a drafter on the basis of cumulative CarAV?

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Top 4 (2-4)

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Top 8 (4-8)

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Top half (9-16)

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Bottom half (17-27)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One of the worst (28-30)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The draft is a huge crap shoot. It makes more sense to have more bullets in your holster rather than fewer (but bigger) bullets. I would rather be able to throw three extra darts from one step behind the standard line, than be limited to three fewer darts one step closer to the board - given that the draft is the equivalent of playing darts in a room so dark I can barely see the board.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Herm Edwards was right on the mark. You play to win the game.

The goal isn't to maximize draft pick potential. Nor is it to minimize the potential number of draft busts. You play to win the game.

Folks, we've been watching this guy draft for 15 years. It's pretty obvious in how he approaches the draft. IMO, there are 4 main principals that he NEVER deviates from.

-More the Better: The draft is unpredictable. NFL players can also become available and having capital helps acquire talent. Always give yourself maximum flexibility to take advantage for when a good situation may present itself.

-Value, Value, Value: -People hate this but its true. Its not just about the value of the player to the pick. Its about the value and skill of the player in the salary slot and taking a best guess at how that player projects to contribute to the team. BB hates overpaying for players who don't contribute to the team or are paid more than what they are paying for. Its bad business.

-Projection & Contribution: We know BB likes players that can do multiple things. The more a player can do, the more valuable he is. Position flexibility, versatility, skill set, physical skills, etc. are all considerations. The more the player has, the more value he has to the team. Whether a player starts or not is a good indicator but not THE indicator to tell is if a pick was good or not. The real question is...how can this player help me win?

-Never Draft an Idiot or an A-Hole: Kids make mistakes. It happens. Dumb, lazy players with attitudes don't survive here. Smart, hardworking ones that leave their ego at the door have a fighting chance.

Now, as much as I loved the Brown pick, I hated the Richards and Grissom picks. However, I always need to remind myself that BBs logic behind the pick is sound and is done for the right reasons. He thinks that they can help him win. Special teams, 3rd down pass rush, etc.

The draft is not perfect. BB is not perfect, but his philosophy is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back