PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Montana dissing TFB ….. again.

game of thrones crown GIF

I think I get what Joe is talking about, because Marino comes out on top on a lot of these lists or opinions. Dan was a big, strong, athletic guy, the kind of guy a computer would create if you said "build me an NFL QB". He did have a unbelievable fastball and a crazy quick release. what he didn't have was between the ears, and @Chevy makes the point (among other excellent points) that he might be the best passer. I would agree with that. But he didn't elevate his game when it was crunch time, and didn't elevate the players around him, either. Tom did that with elevation to spare. We all know who the best is, and, likely, Joe Montana does too.

Also, We don't know if this quote is taken out of context or twisted in some way to not name Brady and therefore garner clicks.

Indeed, most football fans consider Flutie to be a Tebow-like punchline.

Like that string bean the Pats drafted in the sixth round in '01 and kept on the roster with three other quarterbacks.

What was his name? Tom something?
Wait I know who Tom Brady is.

He was a quarterback for the Patriots, and one time he executed a pooch punt.

We haven't named a local street after him yet, have we?

I think I get what Joe is talking about, because Marino comes out on top on a lot of these lists or opinions. Dan was a big, strong, athletic guy, the kind of guy a computer would create if you said "build me an NFL QB". He did have a unbelievable fastball and a crazy quick release. what he didn't have was between the ears, and @Chevy makes the point (among other excellent points) that he might be the best passer. I would agree with that. But he didn't elevate his game when it was crunch time, and didn't elevate the players around him, either. Tom did that with elevation to spare. We all know who the best is, and, likely, Joe Montana does too.

Also, We don't know if this quote is taken out of context or twisted in some way to not name Brady and therefore garner clicks.
I'd rate Marino in maybe the top sixty (60) quarterbacks of all time.

Maybe...

Maybe top 100 is closer to it.

I'd rate Marino in maybe the top sixty (60) quarterbacks of all time.

Maybe...

Maybe top 100 is closer to it.
Master P Come On Man GIF

I am no fan of Marino, but that's just disingenuous. He never won the SB, and he was kind of a DB to his wideouts, but he's easily in the top 20 if not the top 10.

Master P Come On Man GIF

I am no fan of Marino, but that's just disingenuous. He never won the SB, and he was kind of a DB to his wideouts, but he's easily in the top 20 if not the top 10.

It really depends on how the various QB qualities are weighted against each other. When leadership and playoff success are weighed highly, he has trouble being in the top 20. When passing is weighed more highly, then probably top 10.

My Bold.
I'm at the Delter Sky Club in Ft Lauderdale in the 90s. Marino is sitting down talking to a couple smurfs. I decide to walk over and give Dan some **** talking. As I began to walk across the club, Marino stood up. He kept rising and rising. Big guy. Really big guy. I turned around and wisely for once sat down.

It really depends on how the various QB qualities are weighted against each other. When leadership and playoff success are weighed highly, he has trouble being in the top 20. When passing is weighed more highly, then probably top 10.
I'll co-sign that opinion.
My Bold.
I'm at the Delter Sky Club in Ft Lauderdale in the 90s. Marino is sitting down talking to a couple smurfs. I decide to walk over and give Dan some **** talking. As I began to walk across the club, Marino stood up. He kept rising and rising. Big guy. Really big guy. I turned around and wisely for once sat down.
That's funny. Not that I know you, but I can imagine your face kinda :
Oh No Mood GIF by Saturday Night Live

What started out as a good idea turned into "ah, you know what, never mind." Good stuff, bud.

Dunno how much longer Kelce has but Mahomes seems like someone who makes his teammates better. Same vein as Brady.
After winning the last Super Bowl with a cast of #2 WRs it seems Andy Reid has found the ingredients to the Patriots secret sauce. Plug and play, keep winning.

Bad hot takes = more page hits

Just like when passing yards are the primary criteria, Drew Bledsoe Is The Second Greatest Quarterback In Patriots History.

And Eason is fourth.

Master P Come On Man GIF

I lump Marino in the group of coddled deified quarterbacks like Elway, Kelly, Aikman, Young.

Although yes, give Dan what they had and he probably gets a ring.

I'd never rate any of them in the top 25 quarterbacks of all time, but my criteria is what player gives you the best chance to win the game, not post good looking statistics.

I lump Marino in the group of coddled deified quarterbacks like Elway, Kelly, Aikman, Young.

I'd never rate any of them in the top 25 quarterbacks of all time, but my criteria is what player gives you the best chance to win the game, not post good looking statistics.
Ok. Let’s see your top 25 QBs

I remember announcers saying that Mannings happy feet were a good thing, he's constantly in motion and looking for the right play,etc...
I have no idea which fools said that, but it was always meant to be a derogatory comment about a QB being indecisive.

The problem many QBs have (we saw it with Bledsoe) is that their ego gets in the way and they think they can force the ball into coverage. Something that Brady rarely did.

I really do not care about who he disses ...
It does not change anything ...
Who is the best ever is not like science, it is subjective.
In this case it's math. Seven is much better than four.

Funny. I never heard tainted joe mention Marino for a long long time when Joe was proclaimed as the goat. Why did he never mention him before and why now ?

The problem many QBs have (we saw it with Bledsoe) is that their ego gets in the way and they think they can force the ball into coverage. Something that Brady rarely did.
Quarterback is a difficult, challenging position.

I think what separates the best is determination, awareness, sport acumen and the ability to make the big plays at the crucial times under the most pressure.

But there is also leadership. As much as I think McMahon sucks, he had the respect and support of his teammates and he did make plays to win games.

Favre hasn't seemed to do so well in public perception over time, but he simply played his ass off and made whatever team he played for a winner. I'd rate him the second best QB of the 90's.

Drew & Tony Eason had rock solid, impenetrable ceilings. Kreig & DeBerg, for example, had higher football acumen.

Another very good QB is Earl Morrall. But he had nowhere near the effectiveness of Unitas.

Layne was a beast; he could take any decent team all the way.

I think what handicaps - poisons - any analysis is eternal Patriots denigration.

They gave us crap every step of the way. The 'Tuck Rule'. Baseless accusations of stealing signals at Pittsburgh the next week.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back