PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random Thoughts..Ed Reed

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
With the Pats projected to be a lot under the salary cap next year, whats the chances BB would splurge for a player like Ed Reed. He was very complimentary off him last year, and is a Rodney like game changer. The Pats had money and didnt spend big in FA this year, but all the big names had question marks. Ed Reed, has almost none. Do you feel BB would spend to get him.

i actually think he would spend more on Reed and would take him but Ravens likely arent going to let him walk..hes a playmaker..hes great against pass..good against run..hes a leader..hes witty(hid behind ref once lol) Ed Reed is 1 of my favorite players but Ravens have exchanged contract proposals with Reed and if they dont get him..some other team will spend way much more than we would one 1 player

He loves Reed but I don't see him going nutty over any player. If Reed came at a small discount then we could talk but it's not likely.

Didnt he fall off a lot last year from his usual production/play? For some reason I want to say he did.

he did but he was injured quiet a few games and was never really 100%

I would be ecstatic if we picked up Reed. In all seriousness, if there was any one player I could select to help our team, it would be Reed. Comes relatively cheap as a S at a need position (Rodney retiring? or Eugene to corner?), though someone will end up splurging, and is barely into his prime, not to mention that he has no off-field issues. There is no downside.

Last edited:
R_T26 said:
With the Pats projected to be a lot under the salary cap next year, whats the chances BB would splurge for a player like Ed Reed. He was very complimentary off him last year, and is a Rodney like game changer. The Pats had money and didnt spend big in FA this year, but all the big names had question marks. Ed Reed, has almost none. Do you feel BB would spend to get him.

Didn't Reed make a lot of positive comments about the Pats when the Ravens were in here last year? I remember thinking he was probably 'interviewing' for a job when he was free. Boy would that be nice. Reed is a perfect Patriot-type player.

With the Ravens going to a 4-4 with 2 CB's and Ed Reed it seems hardly likely they won't pony up anything he wants.

actually it might..he might enjoy FreeLancing

I think Belichick will be hoping James Sanders will step up this year.

id say trade for him if hes not going to resign! dont let him hit market

Eugene Wilson + 2nd or 3rd rounder for Ed Reed

Before Harrison retires

Reed + Harrison(strong)

after Harrison retires

Sanders + Reed(strong)

I agree with your thought process that an upgrade in the safety spot seems like it should be a very realistic priority for 07. Ed Reed would be great and bring an edge that the secondary could use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like seeing that list of quality safeties approaching FA, even if many will re-sign prior to hitting the market - it at least ups the odds of us having a shot. Oh, and I'd overpay for Ed Reed and lose exactly NO SLEEP over it. He's a top-5 impact defender in the NFL.

Why would not the Ravens simply place the franchise tag on Reed??
Why would not the Ravens simply place the exclusive franchise tag on Reed?

The franchise tag for safeties is typically the 3rd lowest. This year it was $4.109 million.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still remember numerous coaches saying Reed is overrated. Something along the lines of why do you think people keep throwing his way if he gets so many INTs. The answer was because he isn't very good naturally in coverage and teams feel they can beat him. He gives up a lot of plays for every good play he makes. Let's see what Sanders has this year...

We will need someone to be there when Rodney is gone or retires as the SS. I think Wilson has the FS spot locked up for the next few years, that is if he can rebound again with Harrison at his side.

Reed isnt overrated..thrown his way too much? Hes a safety..he usually takes middle of field and uses speed to get to side lines. He makes the plays..they dont come to him. He also loves to score..takes it from 106 yards out to score a TD? He lateralled a bunch of times .. at Miami he took the ball out of his teammates hand if u guys remember against BC. A lineman got a big and he came to side and pulled it out and ran it in from like 80 yards out

Remix 6 said:
Reed isnt overrated..thrown his way too much? Hes a safety..he usually takes middle of field and uses speed to get to side lines. He makes the plays..they dont come to him. He also loves to score..takes it from 106 yards out to score a TD? He lateralled a bunch of times .. at Miami he took the ball out of his teammates hand if u guys remember against BC. A lineman got a big and he came to side and pulled it out and ran it in from like 80 yards out
Just telling you what I remember reading in an article which said it got the info from numerous offensive coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye