PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rams release leading tackler LB Pisa Tinoisamoa - A must for a Pats looksie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, for what it's worth, as with Mike Reiss, Andy Hart of Patriots Football Weekly on the Patriots.com website notes the potential interest in Tinoisamoa

Ask PFW: Still talking LBs

"Tinoisamoa would be an inside linebacker in New England. At 6-1, 240-something he’s got the right build. He had a 100-plus tackles for the Rams last year. I’m not sure his skills directly translate to New England’s 34 scheme, but I’d certainly give him a call and bring him in for a look."

As with Reiss and the Globe, I tend to look at the Patriots.com website and Patriots Football Weekly as a pretty credible source of good reporting. They may even have sources who are with the team on which to bounce their opinions from time to time

That being said, if he's really 225 that could change the equation. Given simple physics, while a smaller guy with more speed can pack the same punch as a bigger player, at some point the simple physics of just being 225 do work against you.

But THAT being said, would it really be that tough for this guy to add 20 lbs if that makes a difference?

Im a bit on the Guyton Bandwagon myself, he is our fastest LB and I think he would be our number one option on passing downs(for now). With that being said I agree that we should bring him in for a look.

Wicked Pisa? :D

Could he fill the Tank WIlliams, Don Davis LB/Saftey role?

How much was he making, it seems odd that the defensively challenged Rams would release their top tackler.

How much was he making, it seems odd that the defensively challenged Rams would release their top tackler.

I'm thinking the guy is looking for an opportunity to compete for a starting roll. I don't think he is looking for a roll where he comes in in dime packages as a hybrid LB/safety.

I think this is a dead issue. The guy was cut because he is too light for the 4-3. He has a weakness at shedding blocks. The chances of this guy becoming a Pat is slim to none.

Last edited:
I will say it again ...

LBs - BRUSCHI - ZACH THOMAS - MIKE SINGLETARY - RAY LEWIS

These 4 LBs are among many others that will go down as some of the best LBs in the history of the NFL - Just because Pisa is not all that big does not mean he will not go down as a superb and possible HOF type player

Don't tell me that any of you guys saw any of those 4 players mentioned above as HOF players when they were in the league for only a few years - They have proven many people wrong saying they were too small and not big enough to play and Pisa certainly has the credentials to do the same if he can continue his fine career thus far

Some players have hearts and desire bigger than their bodies - The 4 mentioned certainly did and none of them could be considered a GIANT by anyone in the NFL but showed size does not always matter.

When do we start putting small LBs with non-descript 6 year careers in the Hall of Fame?

DId you really think about what you wrote?
It adds up to:
We should pursue Tinoisomoa because he is a LB and there are LBs who have made or will make the Hall of Fame.

Do you accept the fact that our LBs have different responsibilities than LBs on other teams? If not, we should jut close the thread.

Well, for what it's worth, as with Mike Reiss, Andy Hart of Patriots Football Weekly on the Patriots.com website notes the potential interest in Tinoisamoa

Ask PFW: Still talking LBs

As with Reiss and the Globe, I tend to look at the Patriots.com website and Patriots Football Weekly as a pretty credible source of good reporting. They may even have sources who are with the team on which to bounce their opinions from time to time

That being said, if he's really 225 that could change the equation. Given simple physics, while a smaller guy with more speed can pack the same punch as a bigger player, at some point the simple physics of just being 225 do work against you.

But THAT being said, would it really be that tough for this guy to add 20 lbs if that makes a difference?

I think we are doing a square peg in round hole routine now.
You say Tinoisomoa is a good player even if he is 225 lbs (which seems to be the reality, and he certainly plays like he weighs 225). A 225 lb LB that is good relies on speed, on playing in a system without gap responsibility where he can just run to the ball. Physics is not in your favor, it works against your argument. A 225 lb LB running free is different than a 225 lb LB engaging blockers and needing to shed them and play 2 gap responsibility.
The 100 tackles he made were made by taking advantage of his strengths, particularly speed. In our system that speed will not help him be productive.
A 3-4 ILB and a 43 LB, at any spot are entirely different positions. As different as OT and TE or FB and WR.
Your suggestion that he gains 20 lbs is ludicrous. It isn't his weight it is his strength power and force. 20 lbs of fat makes him slow, and unable to shed blockers. If he were capable of adding 20 lbs of strength, power and force he already would have.

By the way, you seem to be avoiding the facet of this discussion that many teams in the NFL want small fast LBs to play exactly the style he has played, and somewhat been sucessful at. Why would HE want to change positions, and shift to one that belittles his greatest strength and emaphasizes his greatest weakness?

If you want someone to fill the Tank Williams SS/ILB/topSTer role, I would suggest that we keep Tank Williams. :)

If you want someone to fill the Tank Williams SS/ILB/topSTer role, I would suggest that we keep Tank Williams. :)

I keep wondering how there is a "Tank Williams role" when Tank Williams never played a down for us?

I can't believe this thread is still thriving... is Pisa this year's Adam Seward? :D

And yes, I see the irony of my own bump.

I think we are doing a square peg in round hole routine now.
You say Tinoisomoa is a good player even if he is 225 lbs (which seems to be the reality, and he certainly plays like he weighs 225). A 225 lb LB that is good relies on speed, on playing in a system without gap responsibility where he can just run to the ball. Physics is not in your favor, it works against your argument. A 225 lb LB running free is different than a 225 lb LB engaging blockers and needing to shed them and play 2 gap responsibility.
The 100 tackles he made were made by taking advantage of his strengths, particularly speed. In our system that speed will not help him be productive.
A 3-4 ILB and a 43 LB, at any spot are entirely different positions. As different as OT and TE or FB and WR.
Your suggestion that he gains 20 lbs is ludicrous. It isn't his weight it is his strength power and force. 20 lbs of fat makes him slow, and unable to shed blockers. If he were capable of adding 20 lbs of strength, power and force he already would have.

By the way, you seem to be avoiding the facet of this discussion that many teams in the NFL want small fast LBs to play exactly the style he has played, and somewhat been sucessful at. Why would HE want to change positions, and shift to one that belittles his greatest strength and emaphasizes his greatest weakness?

My point is only that these idiots writers at these questionable publications like the "Boston Globe" and "Patriots Football Weekly" (has anyone with the New England Patriots even HEARD of these publications???) are noting that they expect to see some interest on the part of the Patriots. ;)

But as I said, I agree that an LB who is 225 is a very different animal from one who is 20 lbs heavier... and it could be that all these media sources are going on the assumption that he's 240.

Though as you pointed out, since some teams actually WANT a lighter faster RB I don't think you can automatically assume that he's unable to add 20 lbs of good weight. For the Rams, it would seem neither he nor the team wanted to add the weight last year. What transpired this year we don't know.

Now, while I'd be willing to believe that Reiss may not have known that Tinoisamoa played at 225 last season when he initially reported on his availability, a week later one would think Reiss is a good enough reporter to look a bit further into that.

As such, if Reiss continues to note the potential interest that the Patriots would have in him, let's say as of today, after talking with team sources and confirming his playing weight, perhaps you might want to take note of that:http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/05/jason_taylor_fa.html

Mike Reiss on 5/13 said:
Sometimes patience can result in an unexpected player becoming available (e.g. Pisa Tinoisamoa cut by the Rams last week).

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extras/askreiss/05_12_09/?page=full

Mike Reiss on 5/12 said:
Eric, I like Tinoisamoa and think he's worth a look. I do think he's smaller than the Patriots would generally look for at that position, but I believe he has some athleticism that could help him fit into the team's scheme -- at least on third down.

But for now we can just ignore all that, refrain from posting any such news, and go with your theory that there's no role that Tinoisamoa could play here and thus no potential interest from the Patriots if it makes you happy.

In the end it won't surprise me if he doesn't make it out of Buffalo without an offer, making all of this a moot point.

Last edited:
he played most of training camp until he got hurt
He was hurt at 3:15 left in the first half of the first exhibition game last year covering a kickoff. How is that "most of training camp?" It wasn't even a full half an exhibition game. The veterans first practice was July 26, 2008. He was hurt exactly two weeks later in the first half of the first exhibition game on August 7, 2008.

J D Sal

Last edited:
Add Shalise Manza Young to those listing Tinoisamoa as an LB the Patriots might take a look at (well, actually she just notes he's available - though one would think if he were a slam dunk mismatch for the Patriots she wouldn't bother including him.)

Taylor's off the market -- now what? - Projo Pats Blog

Yet another Mediot reporter not smart enough to come to Patsfans first to learn why the Patriots would never be interested in a player like that.

Add Shalise Manza Young to those listing Tinoisamoa as an LB the Patriots might take a look at (well, actually she just notes he's available - though one would think if he were a slam dunk mismatch for the Patriots she wouldn't bother including him.)

Yet another Mediot reporter not smart enough to come to Patsfans first to learn why the Patriots would never be interested in a player like that.

"I think the Patriots might take a look at the mummified remains of King Tut to see if he can play safety."

Notice the difference between that and:

Some names still available on the free agent market include: 13-year veteran Derrick Brooks (who is undersized compared to what the Pats traditionally have at OLB); Pisa Tinoisamoa, who was cut by the Rams last week; Rocky Boiman, who spent last year with Kansas City; old friend Rosevelt Colvin; or possibly even Willie McGinest. In an nfl.com chat last month, McGinest wrote that he'd like to return to New England to finish out his career; last year with Cleveland, he played in 14 games with 56 tackles and one sack

Neither is definitive, but the first sentence at least makes a very mild assertion of a possibility. SMY doesn't even do that. She just lists some available players. In fact, I'm stunned that she didn't list Tut's corpse. Apparently, being undersized isn't a problem, so why should the team be discriminating against the dead?

Last edited:
I think the Patriots might take a look at the mummified remains of King Tut to see if he can play safety.

Too late. The Rams already signed him to replace Tinoisamoa.

He can't move, and can't tackle, but when you count his sarcophagus, at 3,000 lbs he gives them the size at LB they wanted.

Tinoisamoa is just one of the biggest names on the market right now. I have yet to see any reporter intimate that they have heard from any source that the Pats are interested. There is a difference between speculation from the press and actual a leaked story that the Pats are interested.

Until I read that the Pats are officially interested in the guy or at least an unnamed source saying the Pats are interested, I don't think the press has really shed any light on whether the Pats are interested in Tinoisamoa.

Tinoisamoa is just one of the biggest names on the market right now. I have yet to see any reporter intimate that they have heard from any source that the Pats are interested. There is a difference between speculation from the press and actual a leaked story that the Pats are interested.

Until I read that the Pats are officially interested in the guy or at least an unnamed source saying the Pats are interested, I don't think the press has really shed any light on whether the Pats are interested in Tinoisamoa.

Well we've got a lot of "experts" here who are sure that the Patriots have absolutely no interest.

Until I see Patsfans members site THEIR sources, I'll tend to give a bit more credibility to Mike Reiss and SMT and Patriots Football Weekly reporters who state that the Patriots Tinoisamoa is someone the Patriots might have some interest in.

Well we've got a lot of "experts" here who are sure that the Patriots have absolutely no interest.

Until I see Patsfans members site THEIR sources, I'll tend to give a bit more credibility to Mike Reiss and SMT and Patriots Football Weekly reporters who state that the Patriots Tinoisamoa is someone the Patriots might have some interest in.

The problem with your argument here is that you keep posting links that don't do what you claim, or imply, they do. Neither of your Mike Reiss links above, for example, claim a source or make any argument that the Patriots are interested in the guy, and the Projo entry doesn't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back