PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quiet day so let's look at our 2008 #1 draft choice - SF style!! [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I bet the 2007 San Francisco 49ers win at least 7 games

Clearly my post isn't addressed to the voices of reason, which surely do exist. The proposition is intended for folks like fgssand and BelichickFan who are on record predicting a 4-12 or 5-11 campaign for the 49ers.

Yes, betting on an anonymous message board is a dubious proposition. But that's not the point. For all I care it could be for charity or it could be a gentleman's wager. The point is to call out the fools who think San Francisco is in the toilet next year.

ArmyPatsFan, to answer your question: if a homer thinks it "stunning" (i.e. improbable) that the 49ers win 8 games, don't you think 7 games is a fair bet? I wouldn't take it, but then again I don't see the world through red, white, and blue-tinted glasses.

Those predictions seem have struck a nerve with you, causing you to fervently defend your team.

Since the achievements of the 49ers lately couldn't be the source of this, what is? Tell us a bit about yourself.

Sure, the 49ers may have some success in the worst conference in the league, part of the piss-poor NFC. But what makes you think your team can even think about contending with the best?

There are a lot of narrow-minded people on this board who have evaluated the Niners and predict a four or five win season for them in 2007. Too many times I log onto this message board and see homers salivating over a top five draft pick next year. I know June is the slowest part of the NFL offseason, but the most recent thread was just baffling. Apparently the 49ers didn't go 7-9 last year, they were actually 4-12 but somehow managed to win a bunch of games they shouldn't have. The most bombastic thread of all predicted only four or five wins by San Francisco next year. According to one homer it would be "stunning" if the 49ers made .500 next year.

I am confident that SF will at least equal their record from last year. So here's the proposition. I will bet one of the fans on this board $50 that the 2007 San Francisco 49ers win at least seven games. If they reach this mark, I win. If they win six games or less, you win. Please put up or shutup.

If you don't want to take the bet, fine. But if not, then please no more talk of how bloated, overrated, and terrible the San Francisco 49ers are. The hyperbole and homerism are getting out of hand.

After Aqua4Ever's "bet" last year, you looking for a bet on this message board is like Enron announcing a new IPO.

1. There is nothing in my post that qualifies as trash-talking. You are a moderator, you should know the difference between strong words and trash talk.

2. I am a Patriots fan. Though I joined recently if you see my other posts it will show I am interested in and root for the Patriots. As it may be, I am also a fan of the 49ers.

Glad to see your loyalties lie with one team.

As a moderator or not, I've seen plenty in my 2+ years here. Some names which come to mind are TonyCollins and Pat Summeral of the 80s.

Those predictions seem have struck a nerve with you, causing you to fervently defend your team.

Since the achievements of the 49ers lately couldn't be the source of this, what is? Tell us a bit about yourself.
I never defended my team, because the New England Patriots were never under attack.

The source of my frustration is the self-indulgent attitude many Patriots fans show on this topic, i.e. "Let's congratulate ourselves some more and speculate on how awful the 49ers are."

Sure, the 49ers may have some success in the worst conference in the league, part of the piss-poor NFC. But what makes you think your team can even think about contending with the best?
1. The 49ers aren't my team.
2. When did I say the 49ers would contend with the best? I said they would win seven games.

I never defended my team, because the New England Patriots were never under attack.

The source of my frustration is the self-indulgent attitude many Patriots fans show on this topic, i.e. "Let's congratulate ourselves some more and speculate on how awful the 49ers are."

Again, some comments seemed to strike a nerve with you. Someone with little or no loyalty to a team doesn't respond like you have.

It has certainly been an awkward response. You went off and created your own separate thread to vent like someone had just threw a brick through your window. It was a very strange sight. It's fine to disagree, but your extreme feelings toward the subject were just too much for an afterthought, NFC team. I still do believe you have strong ties to the 49ers.

1. The 49ers aren't my team.
2. When did I say the 49ers would contend with the best? I said they would win seven games.

For a team that "isn't yours," this simple situation seems awfully life-or-death to you, enough that you're willing to make an internet (laughable) bet over it.

In short, you are clearly lying. I've seen this before. Welcome to the board.

If having any attachment to my adopted team here in California is lying, then I guess I am a liar. But at the same time I grew up in Waterford, Connecticut and only recently moved to the Bay Area. I think of myself as a Patriots fan. If you think smug homers dumping all over the local team was too much for me, you're right. But that doesn't make me a 49ers troll.

That you're so dismissive of an "afterthought NFC team" is arrogant, and also ironic coming as it is on a message board dedicated to a franchise which never underestimates any opponent. Also, if you so flippantly write off teams that have come upon hard times you probably became a Patriots fan very recently and have no memory.

In short, you are clearly a jerk. Thanks for the welcome.

Are you saying if the Patriots lose Brady and with our schedule which is also tough we will win more than 8 games? NO Chance

If Brady goes down for more than just a few games or less WE could be those same 2006 Jags,Even though we have the WR corps,you need a great QB to be in control of it.

I wasn't referring to the Pats at all. I was simply supporting my statement. Not sure how you got that from what I wrote?

If having any attachment to my adopted team here in California is lying, then I guess I am a liar. But at the same time I grew up in Waterford, Connecticut and only recently moved to the Bay Area. I think of myself as a Patriots fan. If you think smug homers dumping all over the local team was too much for me, you're right. But that doesn't make me a 49ers troll.

Again, you continue to defy your previous statements.

From "smug homers" to "narrow-minded people," you clearly have something out against someone.

We've heard this "homer" crap before on the board, Seven Nation Army. Many of us are sick of it. So if some of us (Nut!) sound begrudged, it's because we've dismissed other fans belittling other fans with this "homer" ****. We expect to hear that from trolls (or Glenn Ordway), not other fans. So please, enough. Just ask PatsNutMe (Nut!). He's a proud "homer."

That you're so dismissive of an "afterthought NFC team" is arrogant, and also ironic coming as it is on a message board dedicated to a franchise which never underestimates any opponent. Also, if you so flippantly write off teams that have come upon hard times you probably became a Patriots fan very recently and have no memory.

For someone who has been monitoring this thread as prolifically as you have, and responding to any claims of the 49ers digressing as defensively as you have, you certainly don't appear to be a casual follower of your "local team."

In short, you are clearly a jerk. Thanks for the welcome.

You wore out your welcome pretty damn quickly by obnoxiously creating a new thread to call out two of the best posters on this site - both of whom have been here since at least 2004.

I was curious about this division and after watching NFL Total Access the other day im convinced that St. Louis is going to win this division, unless they suffer some serious injuries. Not b/c NFL N said anything important. I just know they will.

Then i think Arizona will finish second.
Then Seattle.

and last but not least.... San Francisco

why will san fran be last you ask?

Because they suck.

Does anyone need to know anything else?

This is still Seattle's division to lose. The Rams are always expected to go 9-7 or 10-6 and make the wildcard, but they never do. They have made the improvements (for like, the 3rd offseason in a row), but we'll see how it plays out on the field for them.

Last edited:
I was curious about this division and after watching NFL Total Access the other day im convinced that St. Louis is going to win this division, unless they suffer some serious injuries. Not b/c NFL N said anything important. I just know they will.

Then i think Arizona will finish second.
Then Seattle.

and last but not least.... San Francisco

why will san fran be last you ask?

Because they suck.

Does anyone need to know anything else?

:mad: :mad: Remember what happened last season, Keegs, when you started talking smack about Seattle? :enranged: :enranged:

I am a patriots fan too but that does not automatically mean I think the niners will suck.

I think they will probably earn a wild card berth,Thats my guess if injury does not affect Gore or Smith.

I am a patriots fan too but that does not automatically mean I think the niners will suck.

I think they will probably earn a wild card berth,Thats my guess if injury does not affect Gore or Smith.
Repeat after me :

4th Worst Point Differential in 2006

San Fran makes the playoffs this year. Count on it.

heres me being a dreamer but steve slaton in the first round next year could learn alot from kevin faulk. slaton on 3rd downs and kick returns is scary

Repeat after me :

Repeat after me...Who gives a crap what happened in 2006?

You mean to tell me if you suck on some stat in the previous year you are guaranteed to suck again?

That does not mean squat what happened last year and with some good players like Clements and Jackson added to the team along with another year of players like Davis,no way are they stepping backwards - That secondary just got significantly better than last years with Nate out there.

Stop living in the past

Didn't the Patriots suck in 2000? - Somebody now tell me they didn't improve in 2001,Now are the Patriots the only team who can improve from a bad year to the next?

You are making a ridiculous argument solely based on previous WORTHLESS stats and homerism,you want to believe we are getting a top 10 draft pick from them next year and you won't think otherwise because of your devotion to the continued success of this franchise and future players.

And believe me,I HATE the Niners but don't think they are going backwards.

Thats the way I see it. - Remember the Niners are in the NFC and last time I looked the NFC has not gotten any stronger overnight,in fact Chicago who was the only real threat from that conference last year to possibly win the SB,may lose their 2nd best LB in Briggs - Its very wide open in the NFC again where almost any of those 16 teams can be the NFC Champion while the AFC realistically on paper looks to be a 7 team race.

San Fran makes the playoffs this year. Count on it.

no way. you honestly think their better than seattle and st louis and even arizona right now?? whos their #1 receiver? whos their center? newberry? the guy will be lucky to play 6 games. they lost the offensive coordinator. just look at the skill positions and rank them.

QBs
1. mark bulger
2. matt hasselbeck
3. matt leinart ( based on weapons alone)
4. alex smith

RBs
1. shaun alexander
2. stephen jackson
3. frank gore
4. edge

WRs
1. torry holt
2. larry fitz
3. boldin
4. branch

TEs
1. vernon davis
2. mcmicheal
3. pollard
4. pope

you cant honestly think that the 49s have a good shot to make the playoffs. their on their way, but in 2009 or 2010

Why is Seattle so easily tossed aside? For all the people giving the Niners the West, what has changed in Seattle? Is the assumption that Alexander will suffer the fate of 30-yr-old RBs this year and that will hurt them? I figure Alexander and Hasslebeck were both hurt last year, so there's a chance for improvement. Branch doesn't have to rush to learn the system. Yeah it seemed like they were lucky to win some close games last year, but I don't see why 9-7 or 10-6 isn't the starting point for Seattle expectations next year.

you honestly think their better than seattle and st louis and even arizona right now??

Everyone's better than Arizona.

Actually I was just looking at their schedule and they better win opening night or they could easily be staring 0-8 right in the face!

10-Sep Arizona-pick'em, maybe a slight favorite
16-Sep @St. Louis-at the Dome on a short week, that will be tough
23-Sep @Pittsburgh-back to back trips east, and Pitts is always tough
30-Sep Seattle-won't get swept by them
7-Oct Baltimore-will make Smith beat them, don't think he can
Week 6 BYE
21-Oct @N.Y. Giants-long trip back east.
28-Oct New Orleans-too good for them
4-Nov @Atlanta-third trip to the east coast, another good running team.
12-Nov @Seattle-Seattle is tough at home.

(post stolen from Draft thread about the same thing)

Plus they just lost a starting DE for the season..
http://www.sf49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=3098&section=PR News

and thier nickel back is also tore his ACL....

Re: Quiet day so let's look at our 2008 #1 draft choice - SF style!!

If you are going to say its too early to predict anything then you might as well say if Brady is injured in training camp and on IR then its likely that the Patriots #1 pick in 2008 would be higher up in the top ten than San Franciscos acquired pick- Correct?.

It is correct in theory. I don't see quite where you're going with this, seeing as how my point re; Gore was that you have no idea how SF's season would pan out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back