PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quiet day so let's look at our 2008 #1 draft choice - SF style!! [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 2007 49ers

I disagree... As much as I hate to say it because of growing up a Cowboys fan and hating the 49ers, I think they will be competitive this year
Well they have a long way to go.

- 4th worst team according to Football Outsiders (which strips perception away).
- 4th worst point differential in the league last year.
- Worst point differential in the history of the league for a 7-9 team.

There's basically no arguing that their 7-9 record last year overstated how they played, they played worst than 7-9. Now, they have generally improved but the losses of Antonio Bryant and Norv Turner also need to be remembered when listing their additions.

Have they improved enough to climb to a legitimate 7-9 team - or better ? Well we'll see. But Oakland and Detroit, two of their wins last year, aren't on the schedule. And the two wins they got against Seattle will likely come tougher this year unless Seattle is decimated by injury again.

You could be right - but there's no reason to think that you are.

If Frank Gore's knee blows up again that might help the pats out Huge.

This year's Niners are in a unique spot compared to other teams on this list because they are a young, on-the-rise kind of team. They are definitely improved from last year, though some of their "big" aquisitions (Michael Lewis, TBC) are not nearly as good as people make them out to be.

Looking at the NFC west, I don't think the Niners are any worse or any better than the Rams or Cards. They are a team that could easily go to New York and upset the Giants, though I see them being completely overmatched against a team like Pittsburgh. I think the Niners split their division, take advantage of a weak NFC, and push 8-8.

Our pick will likely fall in the 12-20 range, depending on how mediocre the year is. If it is a big parity year, then we will pick close to the top 10, if this is the type of year where teams are either dominant or crappy, then we'll probably pick closer to 20.

This year's Niners are in a unique spot compared to other teams on this list because they are a young, on-the-rise kind of team.
Not sure how the fourth worst point differential last year makes them "on the rise". But OK.

Not sure how the fourth worst point differential last year makes them "on the rise". But OK.

Not to mention the worst point differential in the history ofthe league for a 7-9 team.

They play in a division with Seattle, St. Louis and Arizona. I dont see them going 12-4, nor do I see them going 4-12. We're taliking about a .500 team in a weak division. I'll take the 16th pick.

The problem with that is.... it wouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I would bet dollars to donuts that the 49ers will be a near consensus "surprise" pick.

That in and of itself is usually the kiss of death.

From the comfort of his couch, Denny Green says "Hi." :)

I bet the 2007 San Francisco 49ers win at least 7 games

There are a lot of narrow-minded people on this board who have evaluated the Niners and predict a four or five win season for them in 2007. Too many times I log onto this message board and see homers salivating over a top five draft pick next year. I know June is the slowest part of the NFL offseason, but the most recent thread was just baffling. Apparently the 49ers didn't go 7-9 last year, they were actually 4-12 but somehow managed to win a bunch of games they shouldn't have. The most bombastic thread of all predicted only four or five wins by San Francisco next year. According to one homer it would be "stunning" if the 49ers made .500 next year.

I am confident that SF will at least equal their record from last year. So here's the proposition. I will bet one of the fans on this board $50 that the 2007 San Francisco 49ers win at least seven games. If they reach this mark, I win. If they win six games or less, you win. Please put up or shutup.

If you don't want to take the bet, fine. But if not, then please no more talk of how bloated, overrated, and terrible the San Francisco 49ers are. The hyperbole and homerism are getting out of hand.

Re: I bet the 2007 San Francisco 49ers win at least 7 games

Do you have a story to tell???

And betting on an anonymous message board seems a bit silly.

I think the 49ers could make the playoffs, but I also think they could just as easily qualify for a top ten pick. Its funny that you mention hype because right now that is all the 49ers have. But if we have learned anything over the past decade or so is that a team's record last season (with few exceptions) means nothing when you use it as an indicator for this season.

A prime example the 2005 Jaguars, they won 12 games against a week schedule, lots of people pointed that out on this very board. In 2006 they only won 8 games due to many reasons, including a tougher schedule and a QB injury (if you consider Leftwich a drastic improvement over Gerard).

Last edited:

"According to one homer it would be "stunning" if the 49ers made .500 next year"

I am confused.......only a homer would think that the 49ers would go .500....
then you go and bet that they may win only 7 games.....or more. Hmmm...

There are a lot of narrow-minded people on this board who have evaluated the Niners and predict a four or five win season for them in 2007. Too many times I log onto this message board and see homers salivating over a top five draft pick next year. I know June is the slowest part of the NFL offseason, but the most recent thread was just baffling. Apparently the 49ers didn't go 7-9 last year, they were actually 4-12 but somehow managed to win a bunch of games they shouldn't have. The most bombastic thread of all predicted only four or five wins by San Francisco next year. According to one homer it would be "stunning" if the 49ers made .500 next year.

I am confident that SF will at least equal their record from last year. So here's the proposition. I will bet one of the fans on this board $50 that the 2007 San Francisco 49ers win at least seven games. If they reach this mark, I win. If they win six games or less, you win. Please put up or shutup[ /b].

If you don't want to take the bet, fine. But if not, then please no more talk of how bloated, overrated, and terrible the San Francisco 49ers are. The hyperbole and homerism are getting out of hand.

If its a guy named aqua4ever04 who bets you I would bet you another $50 he does not pay you.

BTW I am one who agrees the 49ers will not only win 7 games but go either 9-7 or 10-6 and are a lgitamate threat to win the West - Yes guys on here are so homey sometimes they act pure stupid...There are at least 75% of teams in the NFC that have worse rosters and less talent than the niners.

Within 3 years SF will be in the SB - I am confident on it.

We will get pick #20-#23 next year for the aquired SF pick IMO

Do you have a story to tell???

And betting on an anonymous message board seems a bit silly.

I think the 49ers could make the playoffs, but I also think they could just as easily qualify for a top ten pick. Its funny that you mention hype because right now that is all the 49ers have. But if we have learned anything over the past decade or so is that a team's record last season (with few exceptions) means nothing when you use it as an indicator for this season.

A prime example the 2005 Jaguars, they won 12 games against a week schedule, lots of people pointed that out on this very board. In 2006 they only won 8 games due to many reasons, including a tougher schedule and a QB injury (if you consider Leftwich a drastic improvement over Gerard).

Are you saying if the Patriots lose Brady and with our schedule which is also tough we will win more than 8 games? NO Chance

If Brady goes down for more than just a few games or less WE could be those same 2006 Jags,Even though we have the WR corps,you need a great QB to be in control of it.

what are you talking about? some people think they'll be bad. most have responded that they think they're a .500 team, and some have them at 10-6. There's a pretty good mix.

I personally can care less right now. I'll find out what the pick is at the end of next year. Hopefully it's between 10-15, I'll be happy if it's 15-20, and I'll just have to deal if it's any worse.

I do know that SF is shaping up as everyone's surprise pick (however that works), and that means nothing. Football prognostication is pretty useless (especially when dealing with the teams in the middle, the really good and bad teams are usually much easier to predict), and how many years in a row has Arizona been a surprise team?

Say what you want about the Niners - they still have no defense. And I don't even see what some people are complaining about. Having another teams' first-rounder is ALWAYS a good thing.

What makes your opinion they will win at least 7 games any more valid than the opinion of others they will win less? A whole lot of teams go from 4 wins to 7-9 and then continue to rise. A whole lot also go right back to 4-5 wins(Miami for example). Houstin made the jump to 7 in 2004 and then won 2 in 05.

I don't think Alex Smith has proven to be a consistent NFL caliber starting QB yet. Until he does, that team is a crapshoot. If he stays where he is they probably get 4 to 6. Maybe he makes a huge leap and they win 10 games. Maybe he regresses and they win 2.

I would guess he progresses and they get 6-8 wins and miss the playoffs.

I am confident that SF will at least equal their record from last year. So here's the proposition. I will bet one of the fans on this board $50 that the 2007 San Francisco 49ers win at least seven games. If they reach this mark, I win. If they win six games or less, you win. Please put up or shutup.

We see Colts fans, Jets fans, and Dolphins fans around here, but it's been awhile since we've seen a 49ers fan come and talk trash.

Clearly my post isn't addressed to the voices of reason, which surely do exist. The proposition is intended for folks like fgssand and BelichickFan who are on record predicting a 4-12 or 5-11 campaign for the 49ers.

Yes, betting on an anonymous message board is a dubious proposition. But that's not the point. For all I care it could be for charity or it could be a gentleman's wager. The point is to call out the fools who think San Francisco is in the toilet next year.

ArmyPatsFan, to answer your question: if a homer thinks it "stunning" (i.e. improbable) that the 49ers win 8 games, don't you think 7 games is a fair bet? I wouldn't take it, but then again I don't see the world through red, white, and blue-tinted glasses.

We see Colts fans, Jets fans, and Dolphins fans around here, but it's been awhile since we've seen a 49ers fan come and talk trash.

1. There is nothing in my post that qualifies as trash-talking. You are a moderator, you should know the difference between strong words and trash talk.

2. I am a Patriots fan. Though I joined recently if you see my other posts it will show I am interested in and root for the Patriots. As it may be, I am also a fan of the 49ers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back