PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quiet day so let's look at our 2008 #1 draft choice - SF style!! [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Quiet day so let's look at our 2008 #1 draft choice - SF style!!

Have you watched Alex Smith play at all the last couple of years? For a guy thrown into the spotlight way too fast and on a ****ty team (ala Joey Harrington), Smith has really developed. I watched some of him last year and was suprised at the differences. This team will improve... don't kid yourselves. But then again, if it makes you sleep better at night telling yourselves that the 49ers won't be any better (so it wouldn't have been a blown draft pick this year at least) then keep on keeping on. The reality is that we wasted a perfectly good draft pick this year which will be practically in the same place next year.

The rationale behind trading the pick was twofold:

1. There was no one with a first round grade at #28, so they weren't going to overpay for a player there.

2. They could not afford to pay two first rounders AND acquire Randy Moss.

Only pimply faced pre-pubes like you and Dan Shaugnessy fail to see this. The rationale was not, as you suggest, "well, maybe the 49ers will suk next year...so let's give this year's pick away."

1. There was no one with a first round grade at #28, so they weren't going to overpay for a player there.
I'll agree with this.

2. They could not afford to pay two first rounders AND acquire Randy Moss.
But not this. #1 picks in the 20s don't cost much. Maroney's rookie cap hit was $1.15M. Affordable.

Only pimply faced pre-pubes like you and Dan Shaugnessy fail to see this. The rationale was not, as you suggest, "well, maybe the 49ers will suk next year...so let's give this year's pick away."

I bet we were more likely to make the deal with SF than a team like N.O. as there's a VERY good chance SF won't make the playoffs and you can bet that was factored in.

Last edited:

Have you watched Alex Smith play at all the last couple of years? For a guy thrown into the spotlight way too fast and on a ****ty team (ala Joey Harrington), Smith has really developed. I watched some of him last year and was suprised at the differences. This team will improve... don't kid yourselves. But then again, if it makes you sleep better at night telling yourselves that the 49ers won't be any better (so it wouldn't have been a blown draft pick this year at least) then keep on keeping on. The reality is that we wasted a perfectly good draft pick this year which will be practically in the same place next year.

First of all, I think the move was made to get out of a weak draft and slide that pick forward to a really strong 2008 class, B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T!!! Even if SF happens to go 500 (I really do not think they will), a pick in the late teens will find much more talent to choose from. Should they finish where I think they will, the pick at or near top ten will be really smart due to a few QB's slated to go early, meaning more players slide down.

If you look really close at last year - I see a really weak schedule compared to this upcoming season. I see two wins against Seattle, a split with St Louis and two wins VS Zona in their division. After that, a squeaker against the Vikings at home, wins against the Lions and Oakland (now there are a couple of top teams) and season ender against Denver (their only impressive win). 2008 is a much more difficult schedule for them and I really think AZ & St Louis will be much improved with Seattle getting healthy again.

09/10 27-34 L at ARI

09/17 20-13 W STL

09/24 24-38 L PHI

10/01 0-41 L at KC

10/08 34-20 W OAK

10/15 19-48 L SD

10/29 10-41 L at CHI

11/05 9-3 W MIN

11/12 19-13 W at DET

11/19 20-14 W Sea

11/26 17-20 L at STL

12/03 10-34 L at NO

12/10 19-30 L GB

12/14 24-14 W at SEA

12/24 20-26 L ARI

12/31 26-23 W at DEN

Last edited:

I'll agree with this.

But not this. #1 picks in the 20s don't cost much. Maroney's rookie cap hit was $1.15M. Affordable.

I bet we were more likely to make the deal with SF than a team like N.O. as there's a VERY good chance SF won't make the playoffs and you can bet that was factored in.

Factored in, yes. The reason, no.

Last year i would try and post updates of the games that Seattle was going to lose and every time they would come back and win by a Josh Brown 56 yard field goal with no time remaining.

It happened about 5 or 6 times.

WE KNOW. TRY NOT DOING THAT ANYMORE.

WE KNOW. TRY NOT DOING THAT ANYMORE.

I'll try to think of something new to do.

Whatever it takes to make you happy.

maybe some guys will get injured and that'll help our team out.

Last year i would try and post updates of the games that Seattle was going to lose and every time they would come back and win by a Josh Brown 56 yard field goal with no time remaining.

It happened about 5 or 6 times.

I'll probably still do updates, but just as long as everyone knows that usually they aren't very helpful.

I do remember that, things have a way of evening out, so this year turn your attention to SF losing and law of average will make it so.

You have one more chance, don't blow it!!

IMO, how well the 49er's do will depend on how much Alex Smith improves. While he still wasn't very good last year it was quite an improvement over his rookie year. Thier D should be better and they have a real good RB.

I think they will win ATLEAST 8 games. Not because of Nate Clements, but because of Darrel Jackson, their "real" best aquisition in the off-season. They will have a great offense for years to come. Common now, lets not say that they will be worst than last season when they are clearly better.

I'll try to think of something new to do.

Whatever it takes to make you happy.

Five "attaboys" for keegs.

I think they will win ATLEAST 8 games. Not because of Nate Clements, but because of Darrel Jackson, their "real" best aquisition in the off-season.
I don't think he's any better than Antonio Bryant but maybe that's just me. I know Bryant self destructed last year but he still had 733 yards in 14 games. Jackson has to get that before he's even an upgrade over the departed Bryant.

IMO, how well the 49er's do will depend on how much Alex Smith improves. While he still wasn't very good last year it was quite an improvement over his rookie year.
That's because Smith had one of the worst years in the history of the NFL with 1 TD and 11 INT.

The fact remains that comparing his first half of last year to his second his rating, TD, YPC and comp % all went down - all that went up was his INT.

Anyone who doesn't give them at least six is kidding themselves. Alex Smith, Frank Gore, Darrell Jackson, and Vernon Davis are all legitimate weapons on offense and a year older. They drafted a new offensive lineman in Joe Staley. They picked up Patrick Willis, a lot of people here's favorite player in the draft, at linebacker, and signed Nate Clements to a huge contract at cornerback. There's no way they get worse from these additions

September 10# vs. Arizona Win
September 16 @ St. Louis Loss
September 23 @ Pittsburgh Loss
September 30 vs. Seattle Win
October 7 vs. Baltimore Loss
October 14 BYE
October 21 @ NY Giants Win
October 28 vs. New Orleans Loss
November 4 @ Atlanta Win
November 12#* @ Seattle Loss (Mon night)
November 18*vs. St. Louis Win
November 25*@ Arizona Win
December 2* @ Carolina Loss
December 9* vs. Minnesota Win
December 15* vs. Cincinnati Loss
December 23* vs. Tampa Bay Win
December 30* @ Cleveland Win

I have them at 9-7 and looking at the playoffs. I'm not trying to be politically correct. I'm trying to be realistic.

Anyone who doesn't give them at least six is kidding themselves. Alex Smith, Frank Gore, Darrell Jackson, and Vernon Davis are all legitimate weapons on offense and a year older. They drafted a new offensive lineman in Joe Staley. They picked up Patrick Willis, a lot of people here's favorite player in the draft, at linebacker, and signed Nate Clements to a huge contract at cornerback. There's no way they get worse from these additions

September 10# vs. Arizona Win
September 16 @ St. Louis Loss
September 23 @ Pittsburgh Loss
September 30 vs. Seattle Win
October 7 vs. Baltimore Loss
October 14 BYE
October 21 @ NY Giants Win
October 28 vs. New Orleans Loss
November 4 @ Atlanta Win
November 12#* @ Seattle Loss (Mon night)
November 18*vs. St. Louis Win
November 25*@ Arizona Win
December 2* @ Carolina Loss
December 9* vs. Minnesota Win
December 15* vs. Cincinnati Loss
December 23* vs. Tampa Bay Win
December 30* @ Cleveland Win

I have them at 9-7 and looking at the playoffs. I'm not trying to be politically correct. I'm trying to be realistic.

You have them beating Arizona twice even though Arizona swept the series last year. You also have them splitting with two superior teams in St. Louis and Seattle, and beating both the Giants and the Falcons on the road. You also have them beating the Vikings, despite the Vikings being excellent against the run, which is sure to be the strength of San Francisco. How is that more realistic than people who, for example think they'll lose to both Atlanta and the Giants (that's down to 7 wins right there) and then lose one game to the Cardinals and get swept by either St. Louis or Seattle, or lose to Minnesota (that's now 5 wins)?

It's too early to know what they've got for a team, but your scenario is certainly no more realistic than the one I posed above. Furthermore, Gore has an unfortunate history with injuries and, if he were to go down early, this San Francisco team could be a 3 win team. The truth is that the Patriots are an early season Frank Gore injury away from possibly getting the first pick in the draft.

Last edited:

The truth is that the Patriots are an early season Frank Gore injury away from possibly getting the first pick in the draft.
I'm definitely not arguing that fact. Frank Gore going down means we are set to trade down to elsewhere in the Top 5 or 10 for basically whatever we want :D

I think San Francisco is going to improve a lot more than you do. I'll concede Gore's injury prone-ness, but I would like to point out that people thought LT was injury prone at first.

There's no way they get worse from these additions
They may be better but have a worse record. Their schedule is tougher and with the 5th worst point differential in the league last year they overachieved to get to 7-9.

The fact remains that comparing his first half of last year to his second his rating, TD, YPC and comp % all went down - all that went up was his INT.[/QUOTE]

* And the fact remains that in his rookie year his comp% was 50.9 his rookie year and 58.1 his 2nd. His TD/INT ratio his 2nd year was 16 and 16 and his Qb rating went from 40.8 to 74.8. Tha fact also remains that I said 1st year to 2nd, not 1st half top 2nd half of last year.

I say 9-7, pretty easy schedule. And they'll beat Tampa by 30, they are a brutally awful team.

The fact also remains that I said 1st year to 2nd, not 1st half top 2nd half of last year.
Thanks - I can read. I'm just saying that it wasn't up, up, up for him. He went from pitiful to below average.

Thanks - I can read. I'm just saying that it wasn't up, up, up for him. He went from pitiful to below average.

If he makes the same jump this year then he'll go to average -:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back