Quick hit thoughts from Mike Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
ESPN obviously.

Some good stuff from Mike, who looks like he spent the bye week working hard for some of these bits.

Tom Brady's son had Falcons RB Devonta Freeman on his fantasy team

One thing I hadn't realized:

4a. Did You Know, Part I: The Patriots haven't scored in the first quarter in any of their previous six Super Bowls during the Bill Belichick/Tom Brady era.

But lots of other good stuff too, like how Chris Long could have been on the other sideline, Andrews going against the team his uncle used to coach, Scar vs. Scar, and much much more.

Not a fan of ESPN obviously, but Reiss is worth making an exception. He's one of the best, and I think he gets forgotten about sometimes due to his evil empire employer.

Good read. Thanks. Reiss is worth following.

Scar vs Scar is a good point, one thing I'd overlooked is the point Reiss made, about Susan Scarneccia having her husband and her son coaching the opposing teams in the Super Bowl. That's gotta be pretty special, talk about being at the pinnacle of their profession.

Reiss is good stuff. He reports the right way or the hard way. He believes in quality content for clicks rather than contrarian garbage.

Just finished his Patriot Pride book about Troy Brown. Some really good laughs and an enjoyable read overall.

In the words of the late Craig Sager, Reiss is a "pro's pro."

Since we're in Mike Reiss love mode, this is from the conference call with BB last Monday:

Q: How did you and Jon Bon Jovi initially become friends and meet in the first place?

BB: Well, Jon [Bon Jovi] is a big Giants fan. He grew up in New Jersey, so when I was coaching the Giants. We had a lot in common. We both liked the Giants.

Q: Was he just a frequent visitor at practice? Would Bill Parcells be the one to invite him over?

BB: Yeah, you know, I don't think Bill [Parcells] was a big Bon Jovi fan or Bruce Springsteen fan or anything like that. It wasn't exactly his musical style at that point in time. Some of the younger coaches on the staff, one in particular connected to him. [Sean] Landeta, you know Sean was another one. Sean and Jon [Bon Jovi] and I - we've done a few things together. Yeah, back to the Jersey-Giants days.

Q: That was my hard hitting question of the day.

BB: Yeah, that X's and O's question there on Jon [Bon Jovi] and 'Living on a Prayer', Mike [Reiss], that's not like the coin toss question we had last night.

Q: I could tell you liked that one.

BB: You've got a lot of variety. That's good. It keeps me on my toes.
:rolleyes::D:p

Since we're in Mike Reiss love mode, this is from the conference call with BB last Monday:

Q: How did you and Jon Bon Jovi initially become friends and meet in the first place?

BB: Well, Jon [Bon Jovi] is a big Giants fan. He grew up in New Jersey, so when I was coaching the Giants. We had a lot in common. We both liked the Giants.

Q: Was he just a frequent visitor at practice? Would Bill Parcells be the one to invite him over?

BB: Yeah, you know, I don't think Bill [Parcells] was a big Bon Jovi fan or Bruce Springsteen fan or anything like that. It wasn't exactly his musical style at that point in time. Some of the younger coaches on the staff, one in particular connected to him. [Sean] Landeta, you know Sean was another one. Sean and Jon [Bon Jovi] and I - we've done a few things together. Yeah, back to the Jersey-Giants days.

Q: That was my hard hitting question of the day.

BB: Yeah, that X's and O's question there on Jon [Bon Jovi] and 'Living on a Prayer', Mike [Reiss], that's not like the coin toss question we had last night.

Q: I could tell you liked that one.

BB: You've got a lot of variety. That's good. It keeps me on my toes.
:rolleyes::D:p

Seems like Belichick has some respect and degree of comfort with Reiss. That says a lot to me.

Seems like Belichick has some respect and degree of comfort with Reiss. That says a lot to me.

Yes -- and so BB should. It can't be easy being a beat reporter with BB, but Mike shows up day after day, week in, week out, season in, season out, does his job and doesn't lose his temper or get snarky. He's a diamond.

Still can't believe he's there. I figured his more balanced takes on Defamegate spelled his doom.
He was on the outrage train to start with, and required no evidence to do so. Reiss was no pillar of virtue through this thing.

Pats haven't scored in first quarter of last 6 Super Bowls
The Pats have also only given up 15 first quarter points in 6 games, a safety vs NY (grounding in end zone), 2 FG and one TD

He was on the outrage train to start with, and required no evidence to do so. Reiss was no pillar of virtue through this thing.

That's one thing I missed out on completely. I was 100% shut off from the outside world from around New Years until mid-March that year, so I really don't have a lens on what the initial outrage was like. The only link I had to the outside world was a Colts fan who thought the whole thing was overblown...so I didn't realize the scope of stupidity it had become until long after.

You must have missed the part when some of his articles were either edited or mysteriously went missing.

I heard about it, but that's about it.

Yes -- and so BB should. It can't be easy being a beat reporter with BB, but Mike shows up day after day, week in, week out, season in, season out, does his job and doesn't lose his temper or get snarky. He's a diamond.

And he does a good job balancing the BS ESPN role that I am sure he has to play and being true to the Patriots.

Can you provide a link? I don't recall seeing that at all.

I remember a ton of hit pieces from the Boston writers like Jackie MacMullen, who watches like 3 games a year or so and thinks her opinion on football matters. Here's one of those:

MacMullan: If Pats cheated, they must pay price

I also remember outrage over ESPN editing some of his pieces which made him post separately on his personal blog.

I do remember some opinion pieces with some heavy qualifiers and hypotheticals, but I don't recall anything like what you're saying here. Would appreciate if you do have a link to anything.

Can you provide a link? I don't recall seeing that at all.

I remember a ton of hit pieces from the Boston writers like Jackie MacMullen, who watches like 3 games a year or so and thinks her opinion on football matters. Here's one of those:

MacMullan: If Pats cheated, they must pay price

I also remember outrage over ESPN editing some of his pieces which made him post separately on his personal blog.

I do remember some opinion pieces with some heavy qualifiers and hypotheticals, but I don't recall anything like what you're saying here. Would appreciate if you do have a link to anything.
Yeah I'll look for it when I have time. It was also covered on this forum at the time. But here's no difference between what you're saying and what Macmullan wrote, she qualified her claim with "if", so did everyone else. When the 11 of 12 balls tweet hit the air, Mike, like everyone else and then opined on the implications and punishments.

He could have done many things, he did what everyone else did. That's why I'm not buying he's some media guy unlike others. In a sea of media with one narrative, he was not the guy pushing back, he was the guy that joined in and said the same things.

Yeah I'll look for it when I have time. It was also covered on this forum at the time. But here's no difference between what you're saying and what Macmullan wrote, she qualified her claim with "if", so did everyone else. When the 11 of 12 balls tweet hit the air, Mike, like everyone else and then opined on the implications and punishments.

He could have done many things, he did what everyone else did. That's why I'm not buying he's some media guy unlike others. In a sea of media with one narrative, he was not the guy pushing back, he was the guy that joined in and said the same things.

********. Provide a link .

I've been digging but can't find anything remotely close to what you're accusing.

I check in on Reiss and this forum usually several times a day because I'm a ****ing loser, and don't recall anything like that from Reiss. Granted I haven't read every single post here and may have missed it, but I am a bit skeptical about this claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back