PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quick hit thoughts from Mike Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't. I think that's just some added BS to sooth the Scientifically or the Legally literate community.

1. Patriots cheated. Deflated footballs.
2. Wells report. Weather wasn't the cause of the deflation.
3. Professors. The Science doesn't add up.
4. Brady smashed his phone.
5. Appeal transcripts released. Roger lied. Why?
6. This is to make up for going easy on the Patriots during camera placement gate 8 years ago?

Obviously once it hit the courts it all changed to an issue around the power of the commissioner but I just got the sense that the stuff about ordering the Pats to keep their mouths shut about the real measurements, plus the lies from Roger, and so on... comes from a mindset that the league was going to use this opportunity no matter what it was to hit the Patriots hard... and the reason was to sooth some of the owners about the spygate thing plus a few who just didn't like Kraft period - and one was quoted as such... and it would be done by any means necessary.

That's ridiculous. What were the red flags on Jan 21st ?

In the same article he states:

and,

That's not jumping on any "outrage" train.

Given the environment the guy was working in at the time that article is reasonable. The NFL had full control of its leaks and told the Patriots to keep their mouths shut. There wasn't any numbers or data to dispute anything the NFL said until the Wells report was released. And still Mike had the wherewithal to add disclaimers into his articles such as those posted above.

I've just reread a bunch of his articles. He attempts to maintain objectivity but he also continuously hints that he thinks something is amiss.
What do you think Mike changed his mind from->to.

Obviously once it hit the courts it all changed to an issue around the power of the commissioner but I just got the sense that the stuff about ordering the Pats to keep their mouths shut about the real measurements, plus the lies from Roger, and so on... comes from a mindset that the league was going to use this opportunity no matter what it was to hit the Patriots hard... and the reason was to sooth some of the owners about the spygate thing plus a few who just didn't like Kraft period - and one was quoted as such... and it would be done by any means necessary.

Eight years later? It wasn't because of spygate. It was because the Pats kept winning. The spygate bologna was simply to add "reasoning" in support of the deflategate punishment which was falling apart scientifically.

Eight years later? It wasn't because of spygate. It was because the Pats kept winning. The spygate bologna was simply to add "reasoning" in support of the deflategate punishment which was falling apart scientifically.

Could be. We'll see what happens if they win on Sunday and are in contention for a couple more in the near term. As I said I think much of it also has to do with Kraft himself not being as well liked as maybe he thought he was.

OT, but could someone explain to me why they are referred to as "BSPN", please?

(I know why they deserve to be insulted -- would just like to know where this particular one came from and what it means.)

(I know why they deserve to be insulted -- would just like to know where this particular one came from and what it means.)
Are you aware BS= bullsh**. Common term in the US.

Saying it like BS-PN might make it clearer.

Are you aware BS= bullsh**. Common term in the US.

Ah, thanks. Common in the UK too (and not just the term!)

(Having the low mind I do, I can think of lots of worse things it might have been ...)

You're a smart guy, I'm sure you can figure it out. He changed his mind from one thing to another.

Bob. He wasn't on the "outrage train". Not sure how quoting half my response helps your point. Every article Reiss wrote is done so objectively and professionally. Your claim that "he's not better than the others" or "he's was on the outrage train" is BS.

There are 647 Mike Reiss articles within the search results in the search engine link I provided and you've based your entire conclusion of your "outrage train" argument on a half sentence taken out of context. That's powerfully lame.

It's you who is on an "outrage train".

Even spygate was really because the Pats kept winning. The penalties for spygate were already disproportionately large, because it was the Pats. Some of that was also because of Goodell's ego and BB pushing the limits on his memo restricting camera placement. But the real agenda was to bring the Pats down to the level of the rest of the league, because they were making a mockery of parity. Deflategate was more of the same, in spades, because they continued to do too well. Everyone else in the league knows how hard it is to maintain a winning culture and the Pats do it and make it look easy. Ergo they must be cheating.

Mortenson's report was from an anonymous source, not the NFL. At the very least the fact that the NFL wouldn't publicly confirm it should be a red flag.
Mort stated that his source was a person who was directly involved in the investigation. That means it was an NFL source.

Can you provide a link? I don't recall seeing that at all.

I remember a ton of hit pieces from the Boston writers like Jackie MacMullen, who watches like 3 games a year or so and thinks her opinion on football matters. Here's one of those:

MacMullan: If Pats cheated, they must pay price

I also remember outrage over ESPN editing some of his pieces which made him post separately on his personal blog.

I do remember some opinion pieces with some heavy qualifiers and hypotheticals, but I don't recall anything like what you're saying here. Would appreciate if you do have a link to anything.

Don't know where to find a link but I remember he wrote a piece wishing he hadn't jumped the gun early on based on accusations.

Mortenson's report was from an anonymous source, not the NFL. At the very least the fact that the NFL wouldn't publicly confirm it should be a red flag.

The "anonymous source" was Mike Kensil of the NFL because he's the one who also spouted off to the Pats Equipment Manager David Schoenfeld.

Last edited:
Curran too.
Before anyone knew anything I clearly remember Curran and his sidekick broadcasting outside Gillette at night adding to the media frenzy by speculating that Kraft might have to fire Bellichick.

Before anyone knew anything I clearly remember Curran and his sidekick broadcasting outside Gillette at night adding to the media frenzy by speculating that Kraft might have to fire Bellichick.

If football deflation by humans had actually happened and if Belichick had been significantly involved I think that's exactly what would have happened.

(I will also go to my grave thinking that the presence of Dom Capers in 2008 was (a) due to Kraft, and (b) to have someone in place to be an interim coach if BB was suspended or worse because of the Walsh investigation.)

Curran also wrote a column "This is now officially a big deal" but I cant find it. The early stuff is scrubbed. He lectures in it though that Bellichick cant do business like other teams anymore because of spygate. Interesting thought about Capers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back