PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Questions about the quest for a WR

Status
Not open for further replies.

old 55

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So the rumors are out there - Bill has an interest in Cooks, Marshall, Woods to add to the WRs. Is this a reaction to the big impact WR such as Atlanta's Jones, Steeler's Brown, Houston's Hopkins, etc.? Or is Bill looking to recreate 2007 by giving Brady a premier WR that would rival the connection with Moss? Is there concern over Edelman' s increasing number of drops? Edelman and Welker were very similar types of WR and both took a pounding over their careers. The drop off with Welker was sudden and began with an increase in drops. If Bill lands a Cooks, Woods or Marshall, who goes? I think Mitchell is safe due to his age and low rookie deal cost. It would have to be Amendola unless they wanted to keep an extra WR, but that would mean we'd be thinner at another position. is there any chance he brings in more than one guy and just has a heated competition in camp? The only thing that I am sure of at this point is that Bill is looking at a closing window with Brady and is committing to giving him more weapons. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the WR situation.

Belichick always seems to be trying to upgrade the WR position, mostly via trades or FA. He tried to get Emmanuel Sanders a few years ago (unsuccessfully), Stevie Johnson (unsuccessfully) and various others throughout the years. Some are guys he wanted to draft but someone got them before he could. This is normal Belichick behavior.

Speculation is just that, but if the "interest" on some of these names is true, it still mostly seems like BB seeing an opportunity with great leverage on some players to have them at a below market cost, and having some cap room to play with. This was true of the Moss, WWW, even Stallworth in '07, as well as the Floyd waiver pickup last winter.

I'd be highly surprised if there was any sort of sea change in how he values the position due to Brady's age or a"window"... other than seeing a few chances at getting a good deal on a proven WR. Brady has had plenty of weapons, including probably the best WR type for their offense in Edelman (and a capable fill in/glue guy in Dola), in addition having the GOAT TE and a top 10 TE2 (and invaluable Gronksurance) with Marty.

Several have mentioned JE11's age and contract in other threads, and I think that could definitely be a part of why they'd look at someone like Cooks. Young, proven, more of a deep threat type but could fill some of that quick twitchy get open role. If they go get one of these guys it could be Dola on the chopping block, but more likely means no Floyd. Personally I think Dola's ST and clutch contributions buy him another year or two assuming he's willing to take the pay cut again. I'd be more than happy with Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell, Dola, and Floyd as the WR group for 2017...if some other name comes into play I'd suspect that's at least partly due to value down the road in '18 or '19.

Oh, and NO to Marshall. The guy is a stereotypical primadonna and locker room cancer (and loser) who i believe would also be their oldest WR. He's done.

I believe Edelman will be the #1 receiver for at least 1 more year. I think the end of 2015 was viewed as a disaster by Belichick - we could not run our offense. We Gronk-proofed the offense with the additions last year, but I think he wants to Edelman-proof the offense as well. A guy like Cooks or Woods could do that.

Belichick always seems to be trying to upgrade the WR position, mostly via trades or FA. He tried to get Emmanuel Sanders a few years ago (unsuccessfully), Stevie Johnson (unsuccessfully) and various others throughout the years. Some are guys he wanted to draft but someone got them before he could. This is normal Belichick behavior.

I agree with this, Belichick relentlessly tries to improve the team wherever and however they can. I also think that there is a yearly offseason focus on meeting the needs that their upcoming season' schedule is going to impose on them. I would have to look at next years schedule to see what those will be but it's always a focus for Belichick. One big advantage for them is that they kept their coaching staff and front office very much intact, with Daboll the only real loss, Atlanta and Denver were both cleaned out.

I think woods would be good here but he might be severely overpaid in the market. I
still feel marshall has something left on the tank. One name not mentioned has been kendall wright.

Every year he goes after WRs. He just puts a certain value on them. I don't see this year being any different. We were supposedly in the mix for Sanu and others last year before the price got too steep. He also likes to get players who have played well against the Pats. Hence Cooks, Woods, Marshall etc.

We also need to start succession planning. Slot receivers like Edelman don't last much after 30. And he has never been the healthiest. This offense runs through Gronk and the slot and so if Edelman goes down its a huge problem. Amendola isn't health enough now to last 16 games - he's a role player at best. Mitchell is more of a perimeter guy. Hogan could play the slot but seems better on the outside too.

What Cooks and Woods give you is the ability to play the slot and outside. they are both young and are more athletic than any WR on the Pats. It makes sense that BB might go hard at one of them.

I am for improving more the offense but what about the defense? This team could use another pass rusher. What about the db situation? Is cyrus jones gonna be starting next year?

Even if we can agree to a restructure for DA there is still a 5th spot open. And while DA says he's willing to renegotiate we still don't know for sure they can come to a new agreement he might only be willing to give up so much.

I think there is easily room for one more WR and if you want more competition for camp maybe even 2. This is Not including your Lucien types that are still developing or might be drafted late for similar reasons.

This is not restricted to WR. The Pats always overload every position in CAMP and then may the best survive. Our 2nd team camp roster is sometimes stronger than some teams' game day roster. Encourages competition and then the guys that can't stick around, can be traded before they get cut.

I am for improving more the offense but what about the defense? This team could use another pass rusher. What about the db situation? Is cyrus jones gonna be starting next year?
Based on reports from the combine, it seems like they are seeking pass rushers in the draft. this is supposed to be a very deep Corner draft. based on this year's performancd, I don't see how CJ could be counted on to be on the team let alone starting.

Obviously, if we had interest in upgrading at WR, that means that that we won't focus on DE and DB. NOT.

I don't understand why every thread must discuss our obvious focus on DE and CB.

Even if we can agree to a restructure for DA there is still a 5th spot open. And while DA says he's willing to renegotiate we still don't know for sure they can come to a new agreement he might only be willing to give up so much.

I think there is easily room for one more WR and if you want more competition for camp maybe even 2. This is Not including your Lucien types that are still developing or might be drafted late for similar reasons.

Dola has been clutch in the biggest moments but it's clear that he won't be making 6 mil next season. Maybe around 2 million.

Amendola is getting old. WRs drop off dramatically in there early 30s

Dola has been clutch in the biggest moments but it's clear that he won't be making 6 mil next season. Maybe around 2 million.
I want Dola back but I doubt he's giving 4 MIL back.

I'm not sure if the middle ground can be reached. I really think he wants to stay so I think there's still a chance. But how much is BB gonna pay for the 4th or 5th receiver? And how much is DA gonna give up compared to both what he is due and what he might get elsewhere if cut?

Hopefully the middle ground can be reached because as you say he is so clutch and as good a back up for our system as we could expect to have.

TIGHT END.

This draft has 'em.

The Pats actually have a NEED for a damn good young one.

NFA.

Obviously, if we had interest in upgrading at WR, that means that that we won't focus on DE and DB. NOT.

I don't understand why every thread must discuss our obvious focus on DE and CB.

I see at least 6 on the front page focusing on FA WRs.

outside of mitchel, our receiving core is old, and has a lot of miles on the tires.

Not shocking to see bill looking for more bodies.

So the rumors are out there - Bill has an interest in Cooks, Marshall, Woods to add to the WRs. Is this a reaction to the big impact WR such as Atlanta's Jones, Steeler's Brown, Houston's Hopkins, etc.? Or is Bill looking to recreate 2007 by giving Brady a premier WR that would rival the connection with Moss? Is there concern over Edelman' s increasing number of drops? Edelman and Welker were very similar types of WR and both took a pounding over their careers. The drop off with Welker was sudden and began with an increase in drops. If Bill lands a Cooks, Woods or Marshall, who goes? I think Mitchell is safe due to his age and low rookie deal cost. It would have to be Amendola unless they wanted to keep an extra WR, but that would mean we'd be thinner at another position. is there any chance he brings in more than one guy and just has a heated competition in camp? The only thing that I am sure of at this point is that Bill is looking at a closing window with Brady and is committing to giving him more weapons. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the WR situation.
Considering these are rumors and there is no indication that they have anything to do with BB having a plan for the position.
The Marshall rumor was probably 100% fake news. Woods is no more than people saying BB likes him in the draft and cooks could well be an agent planting a story. Given the cooks is a "how many targets can I get" guy who will likely refuse to play for his rookie contract if he is traded, I find that report highly dubious.

I think the real answer is that BB is pursuing players for every position on the field and will take value where it is and build his 2017 team around that.
It's what he has always done.
This is why no one can predict what he is going to do. He isn't "filling holes" he is funding values and refacing his team to take advantage of them.

TIGHT END.

This draft has 'em.

The Pats actually have a NEED for a damn good young one.

NFA.

This draft has like 15 of them - we may not be planning to grab one in rounds one or 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes