PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quarterback Play - The Key Was Boyce

Status
Not open for further replies.
He could have fought for that one in my opinion. He might have been frustrated at that point. JG definitely could have put about 10 more yards on those deep throws so that he could have used his speed to get to it.

Not sure what to make of it but I'll be that if he had caught that 3rd down pass from Brady we would have a different opinion of him right now.

2 catches on 11 targets.

You can blame Brady and Garoppolo, but I'll stick with blaming the practice squad guy, hanging onto a roster spot by a thread.

Friendly over/under bet.

My prediction is that Boyce will play a significant role in next weeks game vs the Saints. He will have over 75 yards with an average of 15 yards per catch plus 3 drops.

Over under on drops? +/- 3
Over under on yards ? +/- 75

2 catches on 11 targets.

You can blame Brady and Garoppolo, but I'll stick with blaming the practice squad guy, hanging onto a roster spot by a thread.

I haven't re watched the game but I can remember (with a couple of glasses of wine in me) seeing 4 bad throws to him. A couple of severely under thrown balls and one that was intercepted. The interception should have not happened but not sure if he could have turned that into a completion.

The one pass that bothers me is the drop from Tom Brady on 3rd down. He should have caught that one.

Friendly over/under bet.

My prediction is that Boyce will play a significant role in next weeks game vs the Saints. He will have over 75 yards with an average of 15 yards per catch plus 3 drops.

Over under on drops? +/- 3
Over under on yards ? +/- 75

Under, under. I'll take my payment in money orders only please.

Under, under. I'll take my payment in money orders only please.

Sure no problem. Just make sure you understand the small print.

Under the Patsfans collective bargaining agreement article 46, I can decide which currency and by which monetary distribution you will be paid. Whether that be by USD, Mexican Peso, or ZWD is fully and without merit is up to me.

That "take the top off the defense" receiver that fans really want is pretty overrated in our offense. Because or offense is mainly quick short to medium passes so the QB doesn't have to stand in the pocket all day. Sure, it's a nice piece to have. But we already have Tyms who has shown himself to be much better at it than Boyce. And if we want a really fast guy that can't play receiver, but is listed as "WR" on the roster, we already have that in Slater.

It's not like Boyce was making double moves to try to get open, his game looks to be more just flat out beating the corner and safety to a spot 50 yards downfield and making the D account for that. He can run that far in nearly 5 seconds. Considering the time the ball is in the air, the qb doesn't need to hold the ball that long.... barely more than a 7 step drop. JG's problem was that he held the ball TOO LONG before he threw it.... and he didn't throw it far enough. Not saying Boyce is going to revolutionize this offense,or even end up being part of it, but I really want to see the guy get a chance to run under a long ball or two before he gets cut.

And yes, Boyce should have made that high catch for Brady, but if you're playing towards a guy's strengths, that's a throw you make to Gronk, Chandler or LaFell. I can see Amendola and Edelman missing that catch too.

I'd also like to see what Boyce can do with screen passes and end arounds/jet sweeps before we wave bye bye.

It's not like Boyce was making double moves to try to get open, his game looks to be more just flat out beating the corner and safety to a spot 50 yards downfield and making the D account for that. He can run that far in nearly 5 seconds. Considering the time the ball is in the air, the qb doesn't need to hold the ball that long.... barely more than a 7 step drop. JG's problem was that he held the ball TOO LONG before he threw it.... and he didn't throw it far enough. Not saying Boyce is going to revolutionize this offense,or even end up being part of it, but I really want to see the guy get a chance to run under a long ball or two before he gets cut.

And yes, Boyce should have made that high catch for Brady, but if you're playing towards a guy's strengths, that's a throw you make to Gronk, Chandler or LaFell. I can see Amendola and Edelman missing that catch too.

I'd also like to see what Boyce can do with screen passes and end arounds/jet sweeps before we wave bye bye.

I agree with you but isn't that the thing with Boyce? So close. So much potential.

Boyce needed to catch that 3rd down ball. Not because it was necessarily an easy catch but because his future depended on it. I hope he throws up some monster stats in the next game.

By the way Edelman and Amendola make that catch.

Lol, Brady demands a lot from his receivers before he throws the ball at them. You know that
Exactly. Tyms dropped some passes last year from TB. Only big play he had was the BUF game.

I don't think the Patriots need a deep threat in order to be an explosive offense. As a matter of fact, I think it ends up hampering them when they rely on it too much.
I agree - a lot of what the Patriots do is about tempo and matchups. Imagine one of those long incompletions to Boyce during a drive. They are momentum killers and potentially disheartening. Sure, they are great when they are successful, but wouldn't you rather have a sequence of 8 yards to Edelman, 17 yards to Gronk, and 6 yards by Blount? That trashes the opposing defense while keeping the whole offense engaged and in rhythm.

Not sure Tyms is really much better than anyone. Doubt him and Boyce make the roster.
I should have clarified that I don't think that Tyms is that good either. Much better than what Boyce has shown doesn't exactly mean that you have to be good, sadly. But if I had to choose between Tyms and Boyce I would choose Tyms because he's also fast, and has shown that he can catch the football. I wouldn't be surprised at all if neither of Tyms or Boyce ends up on the 53 man roster.

It's always nice with fast guys. But there are a bunch of really fast guys that never does anything in the league because they can't run routes, track the football in the air, fight for the ball, or go up and make the high catch. And Boyce looks like he is just another one of those guys.

Boyce not helping himself:

Jeff Howe@jeffphowe
Boyce caught a pass from Brady and Garoppolo. He also dropped Brady's first and last passes of practice: 2nd would've been a great 50-yd TD.

From Reiss' latest:
  • We don't often see receiver Matthew Slater as a big factor on offense, as his primary work comes as special teams captain. But he got some good work on offense Saturday and was on the receiving end of a beautiful 60-yard touchdown from Tom Brady.

Countdown to Boyce being shown the door. 10...9...8...

I've had Boyce on my PatsPicker 53…until yesterday. I can no longer take it with him. He was simply
awful Thursday night. What a(nother) waste of a draft pick. Whoever is scouting and recommending
WRs for the past dozen years simply must be fired. This is beyond ridiculous.

Slater can run deep just as fast as Boyce and has shown that he possesses the same ability to defend himself from the ball, knocking it to the ground. No need to keep 2 of these on the 53. The role is filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents