PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quarterback and Running Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
For most posters, QB and RB are not early draft needs. They think that the 6th and 7th round will produce a QB to replace Mallett next year and a RB to replace Blount this year.

I would not be surprised to see either or both positions addressed in the first four rounds.

QUARTERBACK
We have discussed Bridgewater or Manziel dropping to us, but not much else. Well, a month ago some wanted McCarron in the 2nd. Mallett will be gone after the season. We need to develop a backup. It seems a total shot in the dark to expect a 6th or 7th rounder to be our backup next year, and be able to start if Brady is down for a few games. YES, I understand that this lightning happened once for Belichick. To count on it happening again seems to be poor planning (not Belichick's style). If this year's addition isn't ready for 2015, Belichick would spending $4M for backup or a top draft pick. In either case, we would hope that they could be ready to start if needed.

I think that a quarterback in the first three rounds is quite possible. 9 quarterbacks may be drafted by then.

RUNNING BACK
Most posters seem to think that the loss of Blount is minor. After all we have Bolden. A 6th rounder could step right and replace Blount. Really???????? I wonder how much money these folks make on playing the lottery.

Also, I would note that Ridley, Vereen and Bolden are all in their contract years.

It is fine to think that RB's are relatively unimportant; that's true. It is quite another to have no plans to replace a key part of our offense, and no reason to go into the season with almost no depth. How many games would you like to play with Vereen and Bolden as our running backs? Running backs get injured often.

I would not be surprised to see a RB picked at 62, or certainly by the end of the 4th round.

First off I would not say they hit lightning in a bottle once they have a history of drafting QBs in the late rounds capable of playing in the NFL. Brady, Cassell, and Hoyer, verdict still out on Mallett plus he wasn't a late round pick.

I dont think it is pressing as you have a capable back up for one more year which byes you time to try and address it with another late pick or in FAency before investing in once early. Would I be against it? Certainly not its always good practice to be developing QBs. I would think the first to be to high though.

RB is a different story as your two best come with some question Vareen health and Ridley fumbling and as you point out they both are FA next year. I am not as concerned about replacing Blount as much as insurance for both issues above. A lot of this comes down to BBs faith in the two and that is a tough call as they both are talented. Just based on where the position is league wide first is probably high but anything after that is fine by me.

judging the careers so far of the guys we have on roster, Not a single one of them should feel safe heading into their final years.

Ridley is spotty at best. more hype that results
Vereen has the talent, but has trouble staying on the field
Bolden cant stay higher then 3rd on the depth chart.

we could pick up a FA, or sign an Undrafted RB and they could be the starter week 1.

I don't see us signing any of our games past this year, unless they have a really really good season.

I agree that the first is too high. However, #62 seems a reasonable possibility.

Just based on where the position is league wide first is probably high but anything after that is fine by me.

If the Patriots draft a non-slider type of QB, or a RB, before the 4th round, he'll have given us a clear sign of the onset of senility.

Considering the strength in depth at both positions, but especially RB, it would be folly (and senile) not to address the RB position this year. I suspect a double dip is possible and maybe even probable.

I think it is easier to find a solid RB in late rounds than, say, a solid DE or DT, both of which I see as more pressing needs. A top DL would have a greater impact on our season than an early round RB or QB. I think the biggest question marks are up front.

Considering the strength in depth at both positions, but especially RB, it would be folly (and senile) not to address the RB position this year. I suspect a double dip is possible and maybe even probable.

They have absolutely no need to draft a running back. It's a luxury pick.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have a problem with us taking a RB in the 4th round or obviously later. It's such a deep draft and the value would be very good. I think if we take one before upgrading our offensive and defensive lines or adding a tight end or even another safety would be a mistake though.

They have absolutely no need to draft a running back. It's a luxury pick.

How so. Ridley and Vereen are out of contract at the end of the year, the coaching staff have almost zero confidence in Ridley, as evidenced by how quickly he gets benched, and Vereen can barely play half a season without snapping some part of his body.

How so. Ridley and Vereen are out of contract at the end of the year, the coaching staff have almost zero confidence in Ridley, as evidenced by how quickly he gets benched, and Vereen can barely play half a season without snapping some part of his body.

If they have so little confidence in Ridley, he should already have been cut, and they've already screwed the pooch by not either keeping Blount or bringing in a better RB. There's no automatic starter for the position available in this draft.

As of now, they have

RB1 (Ridley)
RB2 (Bolden)
3rdRB (Vereen)
FB (Develin)

They can grab another depth RB in FA at some point in the offseason. RB is a luxury pick. That doesn't mean that you don't take any. It does mean you don't take one unless there's a steal available or it's late in the draft. Just as with QB, anything in the top 3 rounds is too high. In this draft, the top 3 rounds need to be reserved for where need meets opportunity (i.e. DL/TE/OL/DB), unless there's a slider that's too good to pass up.

but on the flipside, RB's are a dime a dozen, so drafting one isnt really needed.

but on the flipside, RB's are a dime a dozen, so drafting one isnt really needed.
They have to come from somewhere so why not the draft? Particularly when there's such a deep group. I'd rather have a good RB than one that qualifies under "a dime a dozen".

If they have so little confidence in Ridley, he should already have been cut, and they've already screwed the pooch by not either keeping Blount or bringing in a better RB. There's no automatic starter for the position available in this draft.

As of now, they have

RB1 (Ridley)
RB2 (Bolden)
3rdRB (Vereen)
FB (Develin)

They can grab another depth RB in FA at some point in the offseason. RB is a luxury pick. That doesn't mean that you don't take any. It does mean you don't take one unless there's a steal available or it's late in the draft. Just as with QB, anything in the top 3 rounds is too high. In this draft, the top 3 rounds need to be reserved for where need meets opportunity (i.e. DL/TE/OL/DB), unless there's a slider that's too good to pass up.

I have no real thoughts on where the RB(s) should be taken. I like day two and day three options. Give me Taliaferro and Grice late day three and I'd be ecstatic. But if you define RB as a luxury pick, then pretty much every position would be defined that way.

For most posters, QB and RB are not early draft needs. They think that the 6th and 7th round will produce a QB to replace Mallett next year and a RB to replace Blount this year.

I would not be surprised to see either or both positions addressed in the first four rounds.

QUARTERBACK
We have discussed Bridgewater or Manziel dropping to us, but not much else. Well, a month ago some wanted McCarron in the 2nd. Mallett will be gone after the season. We need to develop a backup. It seems a total shot in the dark to expect a 6th or 7th rounder to be our backup next year, and be able to start if Brady is down for a few games. YES, I understand that this lightning happened once for Belichick. To count on it happening again seems to be poor planning (not Belichick's style). If this year's addition isn't ready for 2015, Belichick would spending $4M for backup or a top draft pick. In either case, we would hope that they could be ready to start if needed.

I think that a quarterback in the first three rounds is quite possible. 9 quarterbacks may be drafted by then.

RUNNING BACK
Most posters seem to think that the loss of Blount is minor. After all we have Bolden. A 6th rounder could step right and replace Blount. Really???????? I wonder how much money these folks make on playing the lottery.

Also, I would note that Ridley, Vereen and Bolden are all in their contract years.

It is fine to think that RB's are relatively unimportant; that's true. It is quite another to have no plans to replace a key part of our offense, and no reason to go into the season with almost no depth. How many games would you like to play with Vereen and Bolden as our running backs? Running backs get injured often.

I would not be surprised to see a RB picked at 62, or certainly by the end of the 4th round.

This is a very insightful post. While some would think that since we have a QB and 2 RBs to use in 2014 it would be assinine to draft those positions, in the real world, teams need to draft for beyond the current season.

Given that we have no RBs signed beyond this season, obviously the 2014 draft should consider this for 2015 even if we are set for 2014.

As for QB we are going to need a next QB one day, and a responsible GM would be prepared that when your QB is 37 it may come sooner than he would like. If a QB is on the board who is a legitmate replacement possibility, you have to consider taking him.

The same people saying it would be a stupid move, will be the ones calling BB asleep at the wheel in finding a replacement when Brady is done and we don't have one.

AJ McCarron or Garret Gilbert at QB
Lache Seastrunk at RB

Sorted and it leaves the high picks for real needs.

I'm fine with McCarron. I don't know why you think that he will be available when we pick in the 4th.

We seem to have a different perspective on what the draft is about. For me, the draft is about the future. To me, we have a need when we carry 4 running backs and have ZERO starters and ZERO backups signed for 2015.

And yes, we may have enough confidence in Ridley to keep him for this year. He's OK, and inexpensive. However, there is no reason to believe that he will be here next year. Vereen is a part-timer.

DI's argument seems to be that we screwed the pooch by not re-signing Blount or replacing him with an equal or better player. I happen to agree. However, the solution is NOT to compound the situation by not drafting any running backs.

AJ McCarron or Garret Gilbert at QB
Lache Seastrunk at RB

Sorted and it leaves the high picks for real needs.

Last edited:
I have no real thoughts on where the RB(s) should be taken. I like day two and day three options. Give me Taliaferro and Grice late day three and I'd be ecstatic. But if you define RB as a luxury pick, then pretty much every position would be defined that way.

I have no idea how you came to such a conclusion, because it makes no sense, so I really can't break down a full response to it. I'll just leave it like this:

1.) The team has a legit* starting RB1, a backup RB1, a legit FB and a legit 'starting' 3DRB. They don't have a legit starting S2, a legit starting LB3, a legit starting DT without health issues or a legit TE2.

2.) IOL was a bigger problem last year than the RBs, so OC and ORG are, or should be, higher priorities than RB.

3.) The WR corps is questionable, and the young player many are looking at as the anchor is reportedly still dealing with a foot issue.

*Note that legit, in this case, is being used to mean established as quality, or at least viable.

However, the solution is NOT to compound the situation by not drafting any running backs.

I assume you either don't rate Seastrunk or didn't see that I'd put him in that post. He would come in and push Ridley to start week 1.

RB just isn't as big of a need as TE, OC, OG, DT or LB.

I get your point. But i would describe it as a luxury pick due to a couple of things. ATM we have Ridley, Vereen and Bolden all in their 4th years with the club. Any pick would conceivably be RB 4 on our depth chart. I also think other people would argue (me included) that in the 1st 3 rounds we have some bigger needs just for example TE, DE, LB and Saftey.

But the big factor in all of this "should we take a RB early" talk is that the general consensus is you can get your RB in the 3rd round and later and get just as good a RB as the one in the 1st.

In saying that one thing that negates my argument is if you look at the top 20 RB's by production last year, 16 were picked in the 1st 3 rounds of the draft. 11 in the 1st 2 rounds.

But the problem is that you then get guys like Morris, Foster, Blount, Ivory, Jackson and Stacy who people always say look they could have been had for a 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes