Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
From PFW:

ILB Mayo expected to see rookie minutes immediately

Coach Bill Belichick doesn’t like to play rookie linebackers. Believing that it takes a couple of years to learn the complexities of the position, he opts to let them learn on the practice field and watch from the sideline during games. Expect Belichick to make an exception with first-round pick Jerod Mayo. According to one team insider, Mayo is an odds-on favorite to win one of the two starting ILB jobs by the season opener. There was a school of thought that the 242-pound Mayo would flip outside and 270-pound Adalius Thomas would shift inside, considering that each has experience at both positions, but we hear that won’t be happening. For one thing, Thomas was far more effective a season ago when working on the edge. For another, the Pats see inside linebacker as Mayo’s long-term position, and to have him learn outside responsibilities, then throw him the ILB playbook a year or two later would stunt his development. That being said, we hear the Pats want him to gain about 15 pounds, even if it’s detrimental to his speed.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: PFW: Insiders say that Mayo is odds on favorite to start at ILB immediately

Said before and will say again.. a LB might start, but only play 35% of the defensive snaps, dependent on the rotation necessary for a given game.. so he might start, but not play that much.. in this D starting does not mean a whole lot.

Said before and will say again.. a LB might start, but only play 35% of the defensive snaps, dependent on the rotation necessary for a given game.. so he might start, but not play that much.. in this D starting does not mean a whole lot.

Exactly, doesn't matter wether he does or not. It's just who gets the majority of the playing time, you can start and switch out plenty on the Patriots.

That is true but I expect Mayo to get the most snaps of any ILB on the team. Given the point that Bru and Seau (if he returns) are at in their careers it shouldn't be long for Mayo to be our best ILB. How Hobson fits in will be interesting.

By mid season the starting lineup could include FS Meriweather, SS Sanders, Wheatley (hopefully Hobbs gets over his hernia/labrum problems), Bryant, SILB Hobson and WILB Mayo. That is a major overhaul.

By mid season the starting lineup could include FS Meriweather, SS Sanders, Wheatley (hopefully Hobbs gets over his hernia/labrum problems), Bryant, SILB Hobson and WILB Mayo. That is a major overhaul.
The good thing is, assuming our offense gets back to scoring 27+ points a game we can afford to overhaul the defense on the run while still winning games.

The good thing is, assuming our offense gets back to scoring 27+ points a game we can afford to overhaul the defense on the run while still winning games.

I think our schedule gives us a bit of cushion. I have to take another look at it, but beyond SD I don't remember a big offense early on (plus, Rivers has a peg-leg). That ought to help the transition.

I see Mayo as a perfect fit this year to be the 3rd down ILB while learning to play in the NFL. Hobson will start ILB day1 just because of his experience. He will be able to learn the Pats system quicker then the rest of the new LBs. Mayo and even Crabel can come in on 3rd downs and use their speed in the passing game whether it be rushing the passer or covering the TE/RBs. They are certainly an upgrade of Seau on 3rd downs. I still get chills remembering Seau covering LT last year.

I see Mayo as a perfect fit this year to be the 3rd down ILB while learning to play in the NFL. Hobson will start ILB day1 just because of his experience. He will be able to learn the Pats system quicker then the rest of the new LBs. Mayo and even Crabel can come in on 3rd downs and use their speed in the passing game whether it be rushing the passer or covering the TE/RBs. They are certainly an upgrade of Seau on 3rd downs. I still get chills remembering Seau covering LT last year.

Hobson is not guaranteed anything, let alone a starter's spot. He was signed to the absolute vet minimum late in free agency, so he can be easily cut if he doesn't make the adjustment from Mangini's OLB to Belichick's ILB. It wouldn't surprise me if Hobson doesn't even make the team. It would, however, disappoint me.

Hobson is not guaranteed anything, let alone a starter's spot. He was signed to the absolute vet minimum late in free agency, so he can be easily cut if he doesn't make the adjustment from Mangini's OLB to Belichick's ILB. It wouldn't surprise me if Hobson doesn't even make the team. It would, however, disappoint me.

I suppose I am being optimistic. You sometimes think if someone started on a team last year then they'd make a significant contribution this year. Tho Tory James killed that theory last year.

For me, the key is that LB was the weak link in our defense, and now it isn't. I am very comfortable with

ILB: Bruschi, Mayo, Seau, Hobson
I don't care who gets more reps.

OLB: Vrabel, Thomas, Crable, Woods
I don't care who gets more reps.

ST: Izzo

Outside looking in: Alexander, Ruud

The bottom line is that I am comfortable with EIGHT position linebackers getting significant reps. Barring injuries, that won't happen. Even with the dreaded two injury scenario, this still projects to a fine linebacker group.

We made three significant additions plus re-signing Seau (or still another vet). This is what we needed.

I suppose I am being optimistic. You sometimes think if someone started on a team last year then they'd make a significant contribution this year. Tho Tory James killed that theory last year.

And don't forget guys like Chad Brown. With his experience, he was supposed to be able to step in on Day 1 as a vet... but he struggled on the inside. Hoping Hobson is a success story, but not counting on it yet.

I'm very excited to see this kid on the field.. He was a monster in the ACC..

If Seau comes, it'll be a another plus in mentoring and LB corps

Isn't Tennessee in the SEC? It's true that he was a monster though, any news on how he's looking in mini-camp (because we all know how important it is!)

Yea, he put up monster tackle totals during 2007, in the SEC...

In regard to the article. At Mayo's current weight he should be able to see plenty of time at WILB, but I suspect they want him to add 15lbs, so he can play both WILB and SILB. He should be able to add that weight either by the end of this season, or the start of next season. I don't think he'll add that much weight before the start of the 2008 NFL season though. This is part of the reason I don't believe he'll see much time at SILB as a rookie. I also don't think he's a good fit at the position, and should stick at WILB, but I'm not the coaching staff.

We also have to remember that Mayo is still a rookie, who needs to learn the system. So, while I believe he'll likely be the main LB in rotation with Bruschi, I don't think he'll start from day one. That could be a different story once we get to the back end of the season, but that will depend on how well he progresses. I also don't think BB's going to trust a rookie to run his defense.

Hobson's a good option at SILB, and I'll be at least somewhat surprised if he's not one of their main LB's used in rotation at the position. He's also the third or fourth best OLB currently on the roster, so I'm expecting him to contribute.

In regard to the article. At Mayo's current weight he should be able to see plenty of time at WILB, but I suspect they want him to add 15lbs, so he can play both WILB and SILB. He should be able to add that weight either by the end of this season, or the start of next season. I don't think he'll add that much weight before the start of the 2008 NFL season though.

Be creative. I can see BB saying to Mayo, "Rook, I want you rooming with Wilfork here. Do what he does." A couple months rooming and eating with Wilfork, and Mayo will be a backup NT.

If Mayo is the backup NT, then it will a waste of a pick.

Be creative. I can see BB saying to Mayo, "Rook, I want you rooming with Wilfork here. Do what he does." A couple months rooming and eating with Wilfork, and Mayo will be a backup NT.

Yea, he put up monster tackle totals during 2007, in the SEC...

In regard to the article. At Mayo's current weight he should be able to see plenty of time at WILB, but I suspect they want him to add 15lbs, so he can play both WILB and SILB. He should be able to add that weight either by the end of this season, or the start of next season. I don't think he'll add that much weight before the start of the 2008 NFL season though. This is part of the reason I don't believe he'll see much time at SILB as a rookie. I also don't think he's a good fit at the position, and should stick at WILB, but I'm not the coaching staff.

We also have to remember that Mayo is still a rookie, who needs to learn the system. So, while I believe he'll likely be the main LB in rotation with Bruschi, I don't think he'll start from day one. That could be a different story once we get to the back end of the season, but that will depend on how well he progresses. I also don't think BB's going to trust a rookie to run his defense.

Hobson's a good option at SILB, and I'll be at least somewhat surprised if he's not one of their main LB's used in rotation at the position. He's also the third or fourth best OLB currently on the roster, so I'm expecting him to contribute.

Don't you think that the new defensive communication systems in place, Belichick will feel more confident with a rookie linebacker playing? Do you think it makes a difference?

Eat a lot of mayo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore