Welcome to PatsFans.com

Column: Rookie Mayo blends into Patriots' linebacking mix

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Disco Volante, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3430800

Noticed on the ESPN NFL Homepage for anyone interested.

2. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  3. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Why do people think Hobson and Mayo are competing for the same spot?

I say that by week 12, Hobson and Mayo are our two starting inside linebackers.

Tedy Bruschi, love the guy, but he's 35 years old now.

4. SammyBlueCat

SammyBlueCat Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'm thrilled by any good news about Mayo and Crable.

5. castlelong1

castlelong1 Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My sentiments exactly. I saw the link on a google search and decided to ignore it.
    Traitorous people can help themselves, but I will never go th ESPN again until they are sold and have a serious house cleaning.

6. letekro

letekro In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +35 / 14 / -10

Who's starting isn't the important thing. When Seau and Bruschi were splitting time at WILB last year Bruschi started, but Seau had the edge in playing time about 60/40. I could see a similar situation with Mayo taking over most passing situations by week 12 and playing about 50-60% of the snaps.

7. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,318 / 25 / -6

I agree that who is starting is irrelevant in the Pats system, but I also agree that Mayo and Hobson will be lining up next to each other getting the majority of the reps by the end of the season. Both those guys may be the future of the Pats' ILB spot.

I love Bruschi. He is one of my favorite all time players, but he is starting to become a liabilty in coverage and may be best served as a situational guy. Same with Seau if he returns. I also feel that way about Harrison especially if the minicamp hype of Tank Williams translate into the regular season.

This year will definitely signal a changing of the guard on defense. For better or worse.

8. tombonneau

tombonneau In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

This list is *highly* encouraging. Even one of the "exceptions" he mentions -- Suggs -- is incorrect, as Suggs went on to win DROY. I have high hopes for Mayo.

And I agree with that I think by mid-season you could see Hobson & Mayo as the starting ILBs.

9. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +333 / 31 / -16

Traditionally the RILB or weakside ILB is the diagnostician and caller of plays. The "mikeman". The WILB is usually also the more mobile of the two ILBs.

Tedy is much better as a WILB; when Seau plays, Tedy moves to SILB, and he has proven to be a lot less able playing there.

Hobson's experience is as a OLB, and he could play SILB as he transitions. But as an experienced guy maybe he plays as a WILB. Mayo is being groomed. So to get on the field, with Tedy as the diagnostician & teacher, he would have to play SILB too.

Longterm, Mayo is destined for WILB, IMHO.

But this year he wll probably play SILB, perhaps moving later on in the year to platoon with Tedy, at WILB, as Hobson continues to play SILB. creating the next several years of Pats ILBs. With Tedy playing as a situational player, and backup, by the time of the playoffs.

10. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +333 / 31 / -16

I noticed this from the ESPN post and it got me thinking:

...The Patriots have seven unsigned draft choices and 10 rookie free agents in camp. Nineteen of the remaining 65 players are at least 30 years old, providing youngsters with their own living reference library. Harrison, 35, is the oldest starter on defense..."

There is a bulge of important players that will need to be replaced in the next 5 years. Bill and Scott will need to increase the numbers being replaced each year, or the surge will be impossible to accomodate in a few years, without a major re-building. As a consequence ... losing seasons.

The first such retiring players are:
    Troy gone WW acquired
    Seau gone successor VH ?
    Bruschi after this year JM +draft next yr
    Harrison after this year JS BM & CW in place
    Izzo after this year PW in place
    Neal ??? - 4 years MKaczur in place
    RT patch & draft drafted soon
    Faulk KJones? or ? draft within 3 yrs
    Morris KJones? or ? draft within 3 yrs
    Vrabel OLB 2+; & ILB SC in place
    Bryant Wheatly? another draft too
    Moss no plan CJ? in place
    AD draft draft within 4 yrs
    Brady KC? MC? MG? KC? no worries Mate

Tom Brady era ends.

That represent 14 players to be replaced. It is possible that the Pats have replacements ALREADY for all but 5 players. Assuming that the Pats can usually get an adequate replacement if not a star from the 3 rounds of the next 4 draft that give them 12 shots to find 5 + players.

Is it impossible ? No. But bad drafts would certainly hurt.

There are three players tough to replace with merely an adequate player. Those would be Vrabel, AD, and Faulk. Not discussing Brady, or Moss, of course. HOF players are not someting yiou can plan on finding.

Only two Moss and Brady are all Pros and HOF players. The others are superior players but replacements can be found.

It is also possible that some of the present players nominated as succesors will prove inadequate. CJ? Mayo? SC? may not prove out. There are some high picks still available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.