PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ProFootballWeekly.com - Belichick not receiving much coaching resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just disappointed these things weren't addressed after the 2008 season. Why now all of a sudden? Letting Pees hang around was foolish--and I would be shocked if he's around next year. You can tell him Jessica Alba is male, and he'll agree with you and just go up to the press box and sip on his diet coke and keep playing his CBs, Meriweather, and Mayo 20 yds off the line of scrimmage

What proof do you have that Pees is a "yes man"???

If BB felt Pees was so bad, don't you think he'd have taken away control of the defense the way he took it from Mangini?

Last edited:
Not sure why anybody is pining for Dom Capers, a guy mostly known for his bland schemes. Just ask Kurt Warner.

Well, I didn't see it in so many words. Not happy to see in print what I've feared for a while, but happy to see BB's self awareness.

Contrary to some opinions, we haven't prospered with a group of home grown coaches. Our championships teams were dominated by three pros from the Parcells tree. Seems like Parcells delegated, or maybe challenged hi coaches to be individuals.

Besides that, there were don't rock the boat lifers like Scharneccia and Fears. Maybe BB the detail guy has been trying to micromanage and his coordinators have been rubber stamping.

Interesting.

Funny, because I recall a 16-0 season being "dominated" by Pees and McDaniels, and I'm reasonably certain that McDaniels qualifies as home grown.

Last edited:
The biggest addition will be a true OC. If John Fox resigns, then I wouldn't be surprised to see Jeff Davidson let go and come back to the Pats.

Other than that, the Pats need someone who has a solid track record and whom Brady will respect immediately. Someone who is willing to tell Brady to CTS with the audibles when they aren't working..

Other than that, maybe a more proven LBer coach who can teach the 3-4 accordingly...

Not sure why anybody is pining for Dom Capers, a guy mostly known for his bland schemes. Just ask Kurt Warner.

Because they just want someone different, no matter who it is. Remember, these are people who actually think they know every play being called from a book with hundreds of different plays.

Last edited:
The biggest addition will be a true OC. If John Fox resigns, then I wouldn't be surprised to see Jeff Davidson let go and come back to the Pats.

I forgot about him. Good call.

Other than that, the Pats need someone who has a solid track record and whom Brady will respect immediately. Someone who is willing to tell Brady to CTS with the audibles when they aren't working..

Other than that, maybe a more proven LBer coach who can teach the 3-4 accordingly...

Rumor is that Jack Del Rio's ass is firmly on the hot seat in Jacksonville, and he's a guy that has a lot of respect for BB. If he's let go, I wouldn't mind seeing him come in as the LB's coach. Another name I would float (although I think he is happy with his current job): Tedy Bruschi.

del rio would come as a coordinator not a position coach.

Rumor is that Jack Del Rio's ass is firmly on the hot seat in Jacksonville, and he's a guy that has a lot of respect for BB. If he's let go, I wouldn't mind seeing him come in as the LB's coach. Another name I would float (although I think he is happy with his current job): Tedy Bruschi.

del rio would come as a coordinator not a position coach.

He would, of course, be given a chance to earn that role. IMO, he probably wouldn't have too much else going for him. Unless the Dolphins are interested in bringing him in to take over for Pasqualoni (sp?), I think he would jump at the chance to work with BB. Besides, he would have a pretty big say in the defense as a whole, as well as working with the linebackers.

What's the likelihood of ANYONE from the outside being signed on as OC or DC?

slim to none...

I still think we have one guy we need on the staff to be DC ... Pepper Johnson
Those who know say he has a brilliant defensive mind ... why is he still an assistant?

200px-Pepper_Johnson.JPG

He would, of course, be given a chance to earn that role. IMO, he probably wouldn't have too much else going for him. Unless the Dolphins are interested in bringing him in to take over for Pasqualoni (sp?), I think he would jump at the chance to work with BB. Besides, he would have a pretty big say in the defense as a whole, as well as working with the linebackers.

This makes more sense if Pepper goes to the Jints.

Belichick has directly confronted a major issue that has limited the patriots in the past couple of years. He is one of the best coaches to have ever coached in the nfl. If this has been somewhat of a blind spot for him, it is a blind spot no longer. I fully expect some coaching additions.
Where did he address this as a blind spot. Talk about spinning an answer into what people want it to be...

What's the likelihood of ANYONE from the outside being signed on as OC or DC?

slim to none...

I agree because I think we have both of them on staff already in Pepper Johnson and Chad O'Shea. I think both of them getting promoted is possible and Bill brings in new blood as unit coaches.

HC's don't come back as position coaches unless they are desperate to rehab their rep. Capers was in that situation and after going from HC in Houston to DC in Miami he did a year here as a position coach, but that was also after working for Saban in Miami. Jack Del Rio has never played for Bill or in this system so how would he know how to coach the linebackers here...let alone coordinate the defense.

If Del Rio gets canned he will go directly to television...

I still think we have one guy we need on the staff to be DC ... Pepper Johnson
Those who know say he has a brilliant defensive mind ... why is he still an assistant?

200px-Pepper_Johnson.JPG

There is generally a reason. With Bill you are given as much as you can handle and the opportunity for more is always there unless you are effectively blocked. Pees has only been here for 4 years so given Peppers tenure he wasn't on the fast track, brilliant as some may believe him to be. Matt Patricia is now both the LB position coach and the guy calling in the defense in and handling personnel packages and rotations while Pees sits up in the booth.

HC's don't come back as position coaches unless they are desperate to rehab their rep. Capers was in that situation and after going from HC in Houston to DC in Miami he did a year here as a position coach, but that was also after working for Saban in Miami. Jack Del Rio has never played for Bill or in this system so how would he know how to coach the linebackers here...let alone coordinate the defense.

If Del Rio gets canned he will go directly to television...

Del Rio is a smart guy and has played linebacker all his life. I'm pretty sure he's aware of the nuances of a 2-Gap even though he's never played in it.

There is generally a reason. With Bill you are given as much as you can handle and the opportunity for more is always there unless you are effectively blocked. Pees has only been here for 4 years so given Peppers tenure he wasn't on the fast track, brilliant as some may believe him to be. Matt Patricia is now both the LB position coach and the guy calling in the defense in and handling personnel packages and rotations while Pees sits up in the booth.

So that's why Johnson is letting teams know he's interested then ... the rest of the story as they say.

He sees that obviously and is frustrated ... thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Why are you all harping on the DC, the OC is clearly the biggest issue... This team has been disorganized all year on offense, inconsistent, bad time outs, all issues that points to coaching, yet everyone is talking about the DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft