PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prediction: BB adjusts defensive philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
i definitely want to see our D improved while maintaining our #1 ranked O.

No!!!! We must improve to a ranking higher than #1 O!!!!

I agree. BB will change something. This offseason will be devoted to re-vamping the defense. I predict the secondary will have at least 3 new starters and the LB's will have at least 2 new starters, probably at inside LB. I think Bruschi and Seau will probably come back for one more go around but they will have limited duty. As one poster but it, the Pats need guys who can cover a lot better, not wait until the reciever catches the ball and then make a tackle. What this secondary has lacked has been passes defensed. Too many recievers are making catches and chewing up yards against the defense.

What will happen first is that BB will evaluate the season, the individual games and the players after having dealt with all the negative emotions and thoughts from the SuperBowl loss. I have no doubt that after that evaluation process with the coaching staff, the necessary measures will follow, ranging from adjusting the defensive philosophy or even the offensive philosophy and making difficult decisions on players that are deemed to be no longer fit for that philosophy, looking for proper replacements in free agency and the draft, and setting the right priorities in dealing with those things.

I can see that the lack of speed on the defense will have to be addressed, as well as finding and grooming the replacements for people like Harrison, Bruschi and Seau, if that needs to be the case. I wouldn't hold it against him, if a guy like Bruschi decides that he feels that he hasn't enough left in the tank, I mean this guy has been part of 5 SB teams, winning on 3 occasions. He has earned the right to walk away from the game whenever he feels it's time.
I can see addressing the way Moss was taken out of the offense during the playoffs, by modifying certain plays and packages. Moss is too valuable to be used only as a deep threat an a decoy for the underneath routes.

Why do I think that there will be adjustments in philosophy? Because that's also part of BB's philosophy: never allow a view to become rigid and out-dated because that will put you behind the curve, adjust viewpoints when they've been proven incorrect or no longer working by the evidence, keep an open but critical mind on what's going on, and don't be afraid to take difficult decisions when they need to be taken. I think we'll see adjustments on offense, defense and special teams, for the better of the team. Some of them will be very obvious, others will be very subtle.

I can see that the lack of speed on the defense will have to be addressed, as well as finding and grooming the replacements for people like Harrison, Bruschi and Seau, if that needs to be the case. I wouldn't hold it against him, if a guy like Bruschi decides that he feels that he hasn't enough left in the tank, I mean this guy has been part of 5 SB teams, winning on 3 occasions. He has earned the right to walk away from the game whenever he feels it's time.
The Patriots need to re-tool the linebacker position via the draft. You can't spend all your money on top shelf linebackers in unrestricted free agency especially when Randy Moss is an unrestricted free agent himself.

Pats were 8 for 16 in 3rd down conversions
Giants were 7 for 14 in 3rd down conversions

I guess the Giants will be tearing down their defense too. :rolleyes:

Firstly, the Pats were 7/14, and the jints were 8/16.

Secondly, I expect the highest-scoring offense in 16-game (30 years) NFL history to convert about half of its 3rd downs.

Thirdly, allowing 50% on 3rd-down conversions is not championship-caliber.

Fourthly, even that high % is misleading:
One of those missed 3rd downs was converted on 4th down.
One was a 3rd/18, and another was a 3rd/16.
So, on 3rd/4th downs of 11 yards or less, the conversion rate was 9/14 for 64%.

This is why our defense needs to change, both in personnel and in scheme.

My recommendations:

1) Get smaller in the front 7.
We need a Paul Posluszny-type at WILB: young, instinctive and fast. Someone who can stay with RBs and TEs in coverage, and make tackles from sideline-to-sideline. 6'2", 240 is big enough.
We need another Jarvis Green at DE: young, strong and explosive. Someone who is OK vs. the run and can collapse the pocket. 6'4", 280 is big enough.
We need another OLB who can rush, and tackle, the QB, and who isn't a total liability in coverage. 6'3", 250 is big enough.
One or more of these players will probably have to come from the draft, maybe even in the top 100. That's right, Bill: you must draft our LBs of the future, Now.

2) Get bigger in the back 4.
We need a new Rodney Harrison at SS: big, tough, smart and fast. Someone who can blitz, tackle in the open field, cover and intercept. 6'2", 220 would be perfect. I don't feel that James Sanders is that guy, though I like him as a tweener nickel SS/FS.
We need an Antonio Cromartie-type at CB: tall, strong, and sure-handed. Someone who can play press/man-to-man coverages, esp. in close games, and isn't afraid of being left on an island. 6'1", 200 would be perfect.

3) Abandon the Bend But Not Break philosophy while the game is close. Of the jints 8 drives, half lasted 8 plays or longer. One that didn't, resulted in a TD, anyway. There were only 2 3-and-outs. Now, if we can get younger and faster at DE, WILB, OLB and SS, then we can afford to stay on the field a little longer before becoming exhausted. Still, I love seeing 3-and-outs; they are uplifting for us, and demoralizing for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick