PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-draft contacts (2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was a little unsure what to add with Allen Bailey - we've been to his Pro-Day, had a private work out, and Belichick has watched film with him and a few others (who I should have added). He's an interesting one, certainly.

That's weird, what would we use him for?

The Pats have a couple of "paired" roles as they go from base to sub packages...

3-4 DE -> 4-3 DT
3-4 OLB -> 4-3 DE

If you can play both roles of a pair, you are a good fit for the Pats. If you can excel at both roles, you are a Pats target in the first round. If you can only do one role of a pair, you can still be useful but will probably not get enough snaps to warrant a high pick.

Are you saying that Bailey has absolutely no use in any of those roles? I could see him as a rush end in passing situations and possibly even sliding inside to tackle in certain matchups. Not a "starter" and there are likely better options, but seems like Belichick could make use of him.

I'm curious too, but I note from the Reiss article on the meeting that BB was specifically trying to understand the defense called and Bailey's assignment in order to assess his execution. I'm confident BB's assessment will pick up things my TV watching failed to note and apply it more effectively than I might project. This should be fun to watch! :)

Is Bailey a "quicker" Mike Wright??

The Pats have a couple of "paired" roles as they go from base to sub packages...

3-4 DE -> 4-3 DT
3-4 OLB -> 4-3 DE

If you can play both roles of a pair, you are a good fit for the Pats. If you can excel at both roles, you are a Pats target in the first round. If you can only do one role of a pair, you can still be useful but will probably not get enough snaps to warrant a high pick.

Are you saying that Bailey has absolutely no use in any of those roles? I could see him as a rush end in passing situations and possibly even sliding inside to tackle in certain matchups. Not a "starter" and there are likely better options, but seems like Belichick could make use of him.

3-4 DE -> 4-3 DT
3-4 OLB -> 4-3 DE

Exactly right. This is why Quinn or Smith make sense for a Patriots draft candidate. Big enough to play 43 end as well as athletic and big enough to play OLB. I mentioned this in another thread but I think you got it across a lot better than I did. Good post. It makes it really tough on an opposing QB and coaches because now they are trying to account for someone who may be dropping into coverage or rushing the passer. Not to mention stays on the field the next play and doesn't give up the coverage because they aren't subbing out.

Patriots will work out WR Andre Holmes of Hillsdale College.

Report: Patriots will hold private workout with WR Andre Holmes on Thursday - Christopher Price - WEEI.com
Holmes is a small-school star who had the most productive season of any wide receiver in the 119-year history of Hillsdale College football, setting single-season school records for receptions (104), and receiving yards (1,368) and catching caught 11 touchdown passes. At the combine, he showed great speed and agility, finishing with a 6.69 in the 3-cone drill, a stat that should get the attention of the Patriots for reasons we outlined here.

Holmes sees himself as a big-play threat, which should also intrigue a team that struggled to stretch the field in the wake of the October trade of Randy Moss to the Vikings.

“I feel like I can be a big-play type receiver. I’ve got the speed to do that, and also a possession receiver,” he said. “I have the tools to be able to be successful.

Eric Gordon boosts stock at Michigan State's pro day | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Hillsdale receiver Andre Holmes also had a good day testing.

Holmes, who has a private workout with the New England Patriots scheduled for Thursday, ran two 40s around 4.5 seconds -- one scout had him at 4.45 on his second attempt -- at 6-feet-4 and 208 pounds.

Last edited:
The Patriots recently worked out Maryland LB Adrian Moten according to RavensInsider, Aaron Wilson on Twitter.

At 6'1 5/8" and 228, he looks more like a SS than a OLB for the Pats. Possibly a special teams player.

Last edited:
Re: KU Pro Day...

The Patriots attended Illinois' Pro Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News