PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-draft contacts (2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I helped maintain this last year (here's the link to last year's final list in all it's glory; notice how we had 34 visits reported, more than the permitted 30):

NFL UK Forums - View Single Post - Patriots pre-Draft contacts.....

Here's the legend we used - you can add it to the first post if you want:

V - Official Pre-Draft visit; visited team facilities/hosted by team in area
PW - Private workout held with prospect
C - Position coach or Coordinator contact
MC - Team has spoken to player or agent or had on-Campus visit; miscellaneous contact
APD - Team official has attended Pro-Day
I - Interviewed at Combine/All-Star game
RI - Rumoured interest

NB: All players in larger font, and Bold, Italic and Underline, have met the "Three Contact Rule". To meet the TCR, a prospect must have three confirmed contacts (RI does not count). The TCR implies that the Patriots are very very interested in them, and there's a very good chance we'll draft them. Don't take it for granted though.

Last edited:
MC - Team has spoken to player or agent or had on-Campus visit; miscellaneous contact
RI - Rumoured interest

NB: All players in larger font, and Bold, Italic and Underline, have met the "Three Contact Rule". To meet the TCR, a prospect must have three confirmed contacts (RI does not count). The TCR implies that the Patriots are very very interested in them, and there's a very good chance we'll draft them. Don't take it for granted though.

QB: Colin Kaepernick, Nevada - I
QB: Greg McElroy, Alabama - I

RB: Alex Green, Hawaii - I
RB: Derrick Locke, Kentucky - I
RB: DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma - I

WR: Leonard Hankerson, Miami - I
WR: Dane Sanzenbacher, Ohio State - RI

TE: Julius Thomas, Portand State - I

OT: Joseph Barksdale, Louisiana - I
OT: Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin - I
OT: Marcus Gilbert, Florida - I
OT: Danny Watkins, Baylor - I

OG: Caleb Schlaudraff, Utah - I

OC: Brandon Fusco, Slippery Rock - I

DT: David Carter, UCLA - I
DT: Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson - I
DT: Phil Taylor, Baylor - I

DE: Christian Ballard, Iowa - I
DE: Cameron Jordan, California - I

OLB/DE: Cheta Ozougw, Rice - I
OLB/DE: Pernell McPhee, Mississippi State - I
OLB/DE: KJ Wright, Mississippi State - I

ILB: Mark Herzlich, Boston - I
ILB: Casey Matthews, Arizona - I
ILB: J.T Thomas, West Virginia - I

S: Ahmad Black, Florida - I
S: Mark LeGree, Appalachian State - C
S: Justin Taplin-Ross, Utah - I

---------------------------------------------------------

I think that's the most up to date I can get it right now.

Here's the link for JT Thomas by the way:

With Thomas, Pats cover Combine bases - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I helped maintain this last year (here's the link to last year's final list in all it's glory; notice how we had 34 visits reported, more than the permitted 30):

NFL UK Forums - View Single Post - Patriots pre-Draft contacts.....

Here's the legend we used - you can add it to the first post if you want:

RI - Rumoured interest

A couple of interesting points:

(1) You note 34 visits, and there's at least one player we know they had visit (GRONK) who isn't on your list.

(2) The only "three-contact" player they drafted was . . . Zoltan. :D

Also interesting that the list shows no contacts at all with Jermaine Cunningham and only a "miscellaneous contact" with McCourty. But they did have Brandon Deaderick in for a visit.

What this says to me is that they'll likely draft one or two prospects this year with whom they've had little or no contact. Which means . . . . FIIK.

I think Box confirmed elsewhere that during the season, McCourty let slip that BB had actually run him through his paces on campus at Rutgers pre-Draft.

He did that with one of the other names on the list and several of us were expecting the Pats to Draft him (think it was the Lewis kid from Vanderbilt).

Last edited:
Actually, checking the list he had PW's with three players other than McCourty - Myron Lewis from Vandy; Jerome Murphy from USF, and Robert McClain from UCONN. It was McClain who I was expecting to see wearing the Flying Elvis after he met the TCR.

RI - Rumoured interest

QB: Colin Kaepernick, Nevada - I
QB: Greg McElroy, Alabama - I

RB: Alex Green, Hawaii - I
RB: Derrick Locke, Kentucky - I
RB: DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma - I

WR: Leonard Hankerson, Miami - I
WR: Dane Sanzenbacher, Ohio State - RI

TE: Julius Thomas, Portand State - I

OT: Joseph Barksdale, Louisiana - I
OT: Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin - I
OT: Marcus Gilbert, Florida - I
OT: Danny Watkins, Baylor - I

OG: Caleb Schlaudraff, Utah - I

OC: Brandon Fusco, Slippery Rock - I

DT: David Carter, UCLA - I
DT: Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson - I
DT: Phil Taylor, Baylor - I

DE: Christian Ballard, Iowa - I
DE: Cameron Jordan, California - I

OLB/DE: Cheta Ozougw, Rice - I
OLB/DE: Pernell McPhee, Mississippi State - I
OLB/DE: KJ Wright, Mississippi State - I

ILB: Mark Herzlich, Boston - I
ILB: Casey Matthews, Arizona - I
ILB: J.T Thomas, West Virginia - I

S: Ahmad Black, Florida - I
S: Mark LeGree, Appalachian State - C
S: Justin Taplin-Ross, Utah - I

Wow no cornerbacks in that list. So much for my annual binkies (my binkies are alway CB's and S's each year) this time...but wait we all know that this list means very little (so far).

As I understand it this combine visit list is used to clear up questions about certain players and does necessarily reflect a heightened in interest.

90% of the interviews on the list were done at the Senior Bowl, not the Combine

I know. Which is why the I says both. More stories will emerge soon enough about Combine interviews.

According to Ian Rapaport, Pats scouts talked to DE Jarvis Jenkins at the Senior Bowl, and, apparently, the Patriots have expressed some interest in WR Dane Sanzenbacher (because, apparently, having four smurfy white pass catchers on the payroll isn't enough for NE ;) ).

Hey Deion Branch is not white! So let's leave the race card out of this. :p

One of his Citadel classmates posted on another forum that Cortez Allen is visiting the Pats Wednesday to work out both as a CB and a FS.

Last edited:
One of his Citadel classmates posted on another forum that Cortez Allen is visiting the Pats tomorrow to work out both as a CB and a FS.
Link?

Hey Deion Branch is not white! So let's leave the race card out of this. :p

EDE425791.jpg
WEL219433.jpg
WOO302348.jpg
FAR430389.jpg

Re: Pats scouts in attendance...

Kearse wows NFL scouts | al.com

HUNTSVILLE, AL. - Frank Kearse garnered some attention from the National Football League last season as a defensive tackle at Alabama A&M. On Monday, Kearse's stock rose dramatically. The 6-foot-4, 315-pounder wowed scouts from the National Football League as the Bulldogs held their annual Pro Day.

Scouts from the Atlanta Falcons, Green Bay Packers, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, New York Giants, Pittsburgh Steelers, St. Louis Rams, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Tennessee Titans were on hand to evaluate Kearse. They left impressed.

"Frank has the ability to play in the league," said Mark Gorscak, a scout with the Steelers. "It is a shame he wasn't in the (NFL) combine, but that happens. Each year a guy gets left out. I wouldn't be surprised if some defensive line coaches come down and work him out."
---

We can only assume the Pats were focused on Kearse. Other prospects who worked out were:

Offensive tackle Anquez Jackson, defensive tackle Korey Morrison, running back Ulysses Banks, inside linebacker Afu Okosun and wide receiver Rashad Johnson also participated in Pro Day.

A little more on Allen: Patriots Eye Citadel’s Cortez Allen | NE Patriots Draft

According to a source close with the Citadel football team, the Patriots will hold a private workout with cornerback/safety Cortez Allen this Wednesday.

Allen (6’1, 197) played cornerback at Citadel, but may project to free safety with many NFL teams. He ran a 4.50 forty at this years NFL Combine, but his fluid hips and great footwork solidified a mid-round pick in our estimation. His broad jump and shuttle times were also very impressive.

Allen totaled five interceptions and two touchdowns during his three years at the Citadel.

If you want to compare lists, Allen will be the 28th player the Patriots have had pre-draft contact with according to NE Patriots Draft: 2011 Patriots Draft Contacts | NE Patriots Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes