PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-draft contacts (2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
6'4 and runs a 4.45 40? Color me a little intrigued with Holmes' size/speed combo. Anyone know his 10 yard split and 3 cone? Pats put pretty high emphasis on those numbers with their pattern of drafting WRs over the years.

The full Combine numbers for Holmes -- blah 10-yd split, but very impressive 3-cone and broad jump:

6'4 3/8" 210 4.51/2.60/1.61 11 35" 10'10" 4.31 6.69

NFL source: Kendall Hunter to visit Patriots, Eagles, Buccaneers, Falcons, Chargers and Saints | National Football Post

Oklahoma State running back Kendall Hunter is rising on draft boards and is scheduled to visit the New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Atlanta Falcons, San Diego Chargers and the New Orleans Saints, according to an NFL source with knowledge of the situation.

Hunter is also slated to conduct private workouts with the Denver Broncos, Saints and Patriots.

Both a private workout and a visit? Interesting...

I've campained pretty hard for this guy the last few weeks. I'm glad he improved his numbers, especially in the bench press. Now he just needs to shut up. Non football stuff got in the way of his workout at the combine? Everyone else did their combine under the same circumstances Jarvis. Excuses aren't going to get you far in the NFL bubba. Just assured yourself out of the 2nd round in my mock...........

I've campained pretty hard for this guy the last few weeks. I'm glad he improved his numbers, especially in the bench press. Now he just needs to shut up. Non football stuff got in the way of his workout at the combine? Everyone else did their combine under the same circumstances Jarvis. Excuses aren't going to get you far in the NFL bubba. Just assured yourself out of the 2nd round in my mock...........
I didn't read it as complaint, more a description of the process and how draining it can be. He's still a second rounder for me.

I didn't read it as complaint, more a description of the process and how draining it can be. He's still a second rounder for me.

I'm thinking we may be able to get him at 74. I'm sure there is more than just Seattle and the Panthers looking at him. But look at it this way. The Panthers have no 2nd round pick so they are not a threat until the 3rd. Seattle would have to be interested in him quite a bit with their pick in the second because they traded their 3rd for Whitehurst. I'd be more worried of a team like Houston swooping him up. Maybe your right? It might have to be the 2nd with all these teams trying to start up a 34 d.

I'm thinking we may be able to get him at 74. I'm sure there is more than just Seattle and the Panthers looking at him. But look at it this way. The Panthers have no 2nd round pick so they are not a threat until the 3rd. Seattle would have to be interested in him quite a bit with their pick in the second because they traded their 3rd for Whitehurst. I'd be more worried of a team like Houston swooping him up. Maybe your right? It might have to be the 2nd with all these teams trying to start up a 34 d.
They asked a question about his sack numbers, I interpret that to mean he is flashing some explosiveness off the snap, but not consistently (some of which may be play calling/coaching - when I watched him it appeared he was playing a two-gap, read & react). Which sounds like an area he can improve with good coaching and conditioning. As noted, he's pretty good at the point of attack and has decent lateral mobility for fighting through trash to get to the ball carrier. I think he's a potential starter and would be an end of the first prospect in a year with fewer quality DTs and large DEs in the mix.

If NE is interested in Kendrick Ellis and he checks out, then Jenkins may slide to someone else. I look at the top of this draft this way:
-- If Kerrigan or Miller slide close to #17, get one of them.
-- Once you have a top edge rusher, target Wilkerson with both guns blazing.
-- Assuming Ellis has turned over a new leaf in his time at Hampton, I target him ahead of Paea and Jenkins, but any of the three will enhance the current DL mix.
-- Come out of rounds one and two with an Edge Rusher to OLB conversion, two versatile DL, and some extra round three/day three ammo. Then target one of Kendal Hunter or Jordan Todman at the top of the third, and a mobile OL to round out day two. It sets you up well for day three cherry picking for OL, DB, TE, and QB. Get the WRs, STs ILBs, and a second OLB conversion when you can contact UDFA kids.

They asked a question about his sack numbers, I interpret that to mean he is flashing some explosiveness off the snap, but not consistently (some of which may be play calling/coaching - when I watched him it appeared he was playing a two-gap, read & react). Which sounds like an area he can improve with good coaching and conditioning. As noted, he's pretty good at the point of attack and has decent lateral mobility for fighting through trash to get to the ball carrier. I think he's a potential starter and would be an end of the first prospect in a year with fewer quality DTs and large DEs in the mix.

If NE is interested in Kendrick Ellis and he checks out, then Jenkins may slide to someone else. I look at the top of this draft this way:
-- If Kerrigan or Miller slide close to #17, get one of them.
-- Once you have a top edge rusher, target Wilkerson with both guns blazing.
-- Assuming Ellis has turned over a new leaf in his time at Hampton, I target him ahead of Paea and Jenkins, but any of the three will enhance the current DL mix.
-- Come out of rounds one and two with an Edge Rusher to OLB conversion, two versatile DL, and some extra round three/day three ammo. Then target one of Kendal Hunter or Jordan Todman at the top of the third, and a mobile OL to round out day two. It sets you up well for day three cherry picking for OL, DB, TE, and QB. Get the WRs, STs ILBs, and a second OLB conversion when you can contact UDFA kids.

I really like your thinking of adding Kerrigan and Wilkerson to our front 7. If we could do that with our first two picks Im thrilled. Do you really think we need to add 2 DL with our first four picks? I feel like we really only need one DE. We have Brace, T. Warren, Pryor, Wright, and Deadrick at DE. I really don't want Ellis either. The kid is always in trouble and breaking team rules. He even got arrested again at Hampton. I believe in second chances he had his and blew it. I wouldn't give him another chance.

I really want to add one of Watkins or Boling in the 2nd. I think either of these guys comes in and starts day 1. Do you like Pouncey or Franklin at OG for our scheme? They both seem a little heavier then what we have at OG and I don't think they move as well as the prototype that we are looking for. Also, do you think we try and find Koppen's replacement with Hudson or someone else? I am not high on Hudson or anyone else in this center class but Id like to know your thoughts. I am assuming you don't think we take one of the top OTs.

What do you think about RB Johnny White from UNC? Id love him round 3!

Last edited:
V - Official Pre-Draft visit; visited team facilities/hosted by team in area
PW - Private workout held with prospect
C - Position Coach or Coordinator contact
MC - Team has spoken to player or agent or had on-Campus visit; miscellaneous contact
APD - Team official has attended Pro-Day
I - Interviewed at Combine/All-Star game
RI - Rumoured interest

NB: All players in larger font, and Bold, Italic and Underline, have met the "Three Contact Rule". To meet the TCR, a prospect must have three confirmed contacts (RI does not count). The TCR implies that the Patriots are very very interested in them, and there's a very good chance we'll draft them. Don't take it for granted though.

QB: Andy Dalton, TCU - PW
QB: Colin Kaepernick, Nevada - I
QB: Greg McElroy, Alabama - I
QB: Taylor Potts, Texas Tech - PW

RB: Alex Green, Hawaii - I
RB: Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State - PW, V
RB: Derrick Locke, Kentucky - I
RB: DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma - I
RB: Jordan Todman, Conneticut - C (IF)
RB: Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech - PW

WR: Leonard Hankerson, Miami - I
WR: Anre Holmes, Hillsdale - PW
WR: Jeremy Kerley, TCU - PW
WR: Ricardo Lockette, Fort Valley State - I
WR: Chris Matthews, Kentucky - APD, PW
WR: Dane Sanzenbacher, Ohio State - RI
WR: Cecil Shorts, Mount Union - MC
WR: Torrey Smith, Maryland - PW

TE: Virgil Green, Nevada - MC
TE: Julius Thomas, Portand State - I

OT: Joseph Barksdale, Louisiana - I
OT: Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin - I
OT: James Carpenter, Alabama - APD, PW
OT: Marcus Gilbert, Florida - I
OT: Danny Watkins, Baylor - I

OG: Caleb Schlaudraff, Utah - I
OG: Mike Person, Montana - PW
OG: Mike Pouncey, Florida - MC
OG: Will Rackley, Lehigh - PW

OC: Brandon Fusco, Slippery Rock - I
OC: Ryan Pugh, Auburn - APD, MC

DT: Corbin Bryant, Northwestern - PW
DT: David Carter, UCLA - I
DT: Kenric Ellis, Hampton - RI
DT: Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson - RI, I
DT: Terrell McClain, South Florida - RI
DT: Phil Taylor, Baylor - I

DE: Allen Bailey, Miami - APD, PW (BB)
DE: Christian Ballard, Iowa - I
DE: Cameron Jordan, California - I

OLB/DE: Cheta Ozougw, Rice - I
OLB/DE: Pernell McPhee, Mississippi State - I
OLB/DE: KJ Wright, Mississippi State - I

ILB: Mark Herzlich, Boston - I
ILB: Casey Matthews, Arizona - I
ILB: Colin McCarthy, Miami - C (BB)
ILB: Adrien Moten, Maryland - PW
ILB: J.T Thomas, West Virginia - I

S: Ahmad Black, Florida - I
S: Desia Dunn, Fresno State - PW
S: Tommy Irvin, Wofford - PW
S: Mark LeGree, Appalachian State - C
S: Kevin Rutland, Missouri - PW
S: Justin Taplin-Ross, Utah - I

CB: Cortez Allen, Citadel - PW
CB: Chykie Brown, Texas - PW
CB: Brandon Harris, Miami - C (BB)
CB: Ryan Hill, Miami - C (BB)
CB: Johnny Patrick, Louisville - PW
CB: DeMarcus Van Dyke, Miami - C (BB)
---------------------------------------------------------

Pro-Day's we have attended:

Alabama
Alabama A&M
Arkansas
Auburn
Baylor
California
Colorado
Florida (BB)
Florida International
Fresno State
Illinois (DPP - Jason Licht)
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana State
Maryland
Miami
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Northwestern
Ohio State
Oklahoma State
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Purdue
Stanford
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Western Michigan
Wisconsin

-----------------------------------------------------

I was a bit reluctant to add Kendall Hunter's VISIT seeing as it's PFT that's reporting it, but add him we shall.

Last edited:
Perfect timing Brit! As I sat here for the last hour with cup of java in hand prepared to post the updated list -- presto! :bricks:

LOL.

Also, how do we feel about adding an AW to the legend for "attended workout". I noticed that the Pats were one of several teams attending the workout of Tommy Irvin. Not exactly a PW (private workout) -- ya think?

I really like your thinking of adding Kerrigan and Wilkerson to our front 7. If we could do that with our first two picks Im thrilled. Do you really think we need to add 2 DL with our first four picks? I feel like we really only need one DE. We have Brace, T. Warren, Pryor, Wright, and Deadrick at DE. I really don't want Ellis either. The kid is always in trouble and breaking team rules. He even got arrested again at Hampton. I believe in second chances he had his and blew it. I wouldn't give him another chance.

I really want to add one of Watkins or Boling in the 2nd. I think either of these guys comes in and starts day 1. Do you like Pouncey or Franklin at OG for our scheme? They both seem a little heavier then what we have at OG and I don't think they move as well as the prototype that we are looking for. Also, do you think we try and find Koppen's replacement with Hudson or someone else? I am not high on Hudson or anyone else in this center class but Id like to know your thoughts. I am assuming you don't think we take one of the top OTs.

What do you think about RB Johnny White from UNC? Id love him round 3!
Please note I did hedge my bet with Ellis. I agree he's a risk; however, NE is checking him out. Suffice it to say they already know why he was suspended for the start of 2010 and are still taking a close look, leaving some room to question whether his team violation was falling off the drug wagon again, or a lesser offense.

Regardless of the scrutiny results, NE has the opportunity to build some excellent versatility and depth on the DL for the remainder of the "Brady window" and beyond.

EDIT: I'm cool on adding OL before the third round, not that I don't like some of the kids projected there, it's just they aren't flashing the kind of athleticism NE has been buying in those first two rounds. Hudson looked like a butterball on popsicle sticks at the Combine, I don't care how technically proficient he is, if he can't carry his weight in his backside he's going to look like a rubber ball in the games. I'm not worried about Center, Koppen is probably good for another 4 years, and for now Connolly and Wendell have both looked good plugging in at Center. Rather than go after Hudson early, go after Pugh or Barnes or Fusco later and develop them ala Koppen.

Johnny White is decent, with all the RB options beginning Day Two I'm not worried about NE finding some depth behind BenJarvus and Woody.

Last edited:
Perfect timing Brit! As I sat here for the last hour with cup of java in hand prepared to post the updated list -- presto! :bricks:

LOL.

Also, how do we feel about adding an AW to the legend for "attended workout". I noticed that the Pats were one of several teams attending the workout of Tommy Irvin. Not exactly a PW (private workout) -- ya think?
Additionally, Scar was at Alabama and worked out Carpenter for his Pro-Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes