PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Potential Patriots: LaMarr Woodley

Status
Not open for further replies.
bb has to stop thinking so much about his "system." his system hasn't worked in 6 years. that's what happened to clay matthews - he didn't fit the pats prototypical LB so they passed.

ITP: A poster on an Internet forum claiming to know more about football than Bill Belichick.

bb has to stop thinking so much about his "system." his system hasn't worked in 6 years. that's what happened to clay matthews - he didn't fit the pats prototypical LB so they passed.
Are you suggesting he should abandon his system and adopt someone elses? Or do you just want him to go get players that have skills you like even though they are not the ones that best fit the way we play defense?

The system hasn't worked in 6 years? You are joking right?

1.) Belichick's system has worked fine over the past 6 years. There's a difference between failure to win the Super Bowl in any particular season, and total failure.

2.) Given that BB was looking at guys like Zach Thomas, it's pretty clear that he'll go outside of his preferences at times, at least in some areas.

What did we have for money towards the cap last year? Werent we like 30th out of 32 teams? I think with the influx of young talent and the constant load of draft picks means we can do 2 things rather well.....we can 86 those players that underperform or dont take a hometown discount(Brace, Meriweather for example)and replace them with picks. The low cap means we can step in and buy major pieces that we couldnt get drafting so low like Colvin, Thomas and now Woodley. There was a time before Mayo when BB didnt draft any LBs, remember? We simply dont have that many foundation type players on the defense the way we used to. I think his play could be what we are looking for the question is will he be the type of clubhouse guy to play up to the contract and become a Patriot guy.
He can have Mankins' money, draft a DE, OT and G with the first 3 picks and for about the same money we have upgraded 3/4 positions.

Last edited:
Who's better between Woodley and Hali?(If both somehow don't get franchised even though Woodley just said he will be). Haven't seen much of Hali, but Woodley is good and coverage and is a flat out beast rushing the passer. Woodley has Harrison drawing more blockers I would think though. While Hali would be the main threat on the chiefs.

What did we have for money towards the cap last year? Werent we like 30th out of 32 teams? I think with the influx of young talent and the constant load of draft picks means we can do 2 things rather well.....we can 86 those players that underperform or dont take a hometown discount(Brace, Meriweather for example)and replace them with picks. The low cap means we can step in and buy major pieces that we couldnt get drafting so low like Colvin, Thomas and now Woodley. There was a time before Mayo when BB didnt draft any LBs, remember? We simply dont have that many foundation type players on the defense the way we used to. I think his play could be what we are looking for the question is will he be the type of clubhouse guy to play up to the contract and become a Patriot guy.
He can have Mankins' money, draft a DE, OT and G with the first 3 picks and for about the same money we have upgraded 3/4 positions.

I agree that signing Woodley would make the defense better and give us a more clear path of how to draft. Atleast fan wise;) DE OT G would be the 3 obvious choices with the first 3 picks. Losing a probowl guard like Mankins would be tough. I mean real tough, if they aren't able to sign atleast Light I could forsee big trouble for Brady. I'm not sure if the best OT and G in this draft are going to make up for all that talent and experience lost.

I do think a talent like Woodley and hopefully a young rookie DE sensation could give this team what they need to get back to rushing the passer when they feel the need too. But with Woodley comes a cost to the offensive line. I would hope the turn around is sooner rather than later.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I get a strong Adalius vibe when I think of this idea. Can Woodley be successful outside Pittsburgh, and playing in New England's defense? :confused2:

Yes... yes it will. :mad:

I can understand why it would, but with me it won't. Ninkovich has A LOT more similarities to Mike Vrabel than people wanna give him credit for, and with some added lower body strength and increased experience in the system, Cunningham is Willie McGinest-light. When these guys can't get it done in spite of a great defensive line, then it's time to look for an upgrade at linebacker, but OLB is a much smaller problem than people wanna make it out to be.

I can understand why it would, but with me it won't. Ninkovich has A LOT more similarities to Mike Vrabel than people wanna give him credit for, and with some added lower body strength and increased experience in the system, Cunningham is Willie McGinest-light. When these guys can't get it done in spite of a great defensive line, then it's time to look for an upgrade at linebacker, but OLB is a much smaller problem than people wanna make it out to be.

Both white and both wore the number 50?

This is just my opinion but...

The pass rush starts up front. A 3-man defensive line that can consistently occupy 5 blockers is the best way to get pressure from the outside. I think Ty Warren is a variable coming off of a hip injury, Gerard Warren (if resigned) is another year older (33), and Brace, Wright, Pryor have yet to consistently display health and production. For me at least, addressing the OLB through a big splash in free agency should wait until our DE spots are completely consolidated. I really don't see Woodley going anywhere, but I could see Hali getting tagged and traded.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I get a strong Adalius vibe when I think of this idea. Can Woodley be successful outside Pittsburgh, and playing in New England's defense? :confused2:

I don't undestand why you guys hate on AD so much. The first year and a half he was here(got hurt halfway through 08) he was a beast. And he had 2 sacks in the super bowl. His skills eroded fast in 09 and then it was all downhill.

Are you suggesting he should abandon his system and adopt someone elses? Or do you just want him to go get players that have skills you like even though they are not the ones that best fit the way we play defense?

The system hasn't worked in 6 years? You are joking right?

For some the only measure of success is SB wins.. there is quite a bit in between...

Urban myth. We were $135M against the imaginary cap which would have been right around that... We also got extensions done for our FA NT (5/$40M) and our HOF QB (4/$78M) and our starting RCB (4/$22M) and shelled out $40M in cash over cap bonus money just to those 3 alone. We're in good shape heading back into a capped environment with just a handful of our own FA and RFA to be re-signed or tendered, but at least one of them potentially will gobble up $10.7M in cash and cap this season. The salary structure is set with Brady at $15M AAV and Wilfork at $8M AAV. That doesn't leave room for a $10-12M FA OLB looking for a 6 year or longer deal, especially if you want to be able to retain a couple of young pro bowl defenders at CB and ILB over the next 2-4 years via extension. Besides which he fully expects to remain with his team via tag and eventually extension which means continuing to talk about signing him is just typical fantasy bs.

As is the Hali fantasy. If Pioli doesn't tag or extend him it will probably be for the same reason Bill wouldn't. But as of yesterday it sounded like it is his intention to keep Hali on the Chief's roster, whether via tag or extension.

And I imagine Baltimore intends to do likewise with Ngata.

Game plan:

Watch what brady and pats do to nutify Woodley.
Double harrison and make woodley the coverage guy .then throw.

Both white and both wore the number 50?

Ninkovich's first year as a starter: 55 combined tackles, 4 sacks, 2 interceptions
Vrabel's first year as a starter: 53 combined tackles, 3 sacks, 2 interceptions

Both of which came at the age of 26 after 4 years of being a backup.

Urban myth. We were $135M against the imaginary cap which would have been right around that... We also got extensions done for our FA NT (5/$40M) and our HOF QB (4/$78M) and our starting RCB (4/$22M) and shelled out $40M in cash over cap bonus money just to those 3 alone. We're in good shape heading back into a capped environment with just a handful of our own FA and RFA to be re-signed or tendered, but at least one of them potentially will gobble up $10.7M in cash and cap this season. The salary structure is set with Brady at $15M AAV and Wilfork at $8M AAV. That doesn't leave room for a $10-12M FA OLB looking for a 6 year or longer deal, especially if you want to be able to retain a couple of young pro bowl defenders at CB and ILB over the next 2-4 years via extension. Besides which he fully expects to remain with his team via tag and eventually extension which means continuing to talk about signing him is just typical fantasy bs.

As is the Hali fantasy. If Pioli doesn't tag or extend him it will probably be for the same reason Bill wouldn't. But as of yesterday it sounded like it is his intention to keep Hali on the Chief's roster, whether via tag or extension.

And I imagine Baltimore intends to do likewise with Ngata.
Yea, I don't know why people here talk about Woodley/Hali/Ngata. There is about zero chance any of them even sniff free agency, never mind end up in NE.

I wouldn't be so sure about Pitt. franchising him, or being willing to overpay for him. Actually listening to all the reports out of the Pittsburgh media, they believe it's a foregone conclusion that Woodley will be the most likely to walk.

They have 2 young LB's who they feel can be difference makers on their D, in Worilds, and Sylvester. They love these guys. Not to mention they feel like they can turn any LB into an all pro. That coupled with the fact they recently broke the bank to extend Harrison, and have Timmons coming up for free agency next year, I too believe Woodley leaves.

I'm not saying he's going to be sporting a Pats uni next year (although I'd love that) but I think the odds are great that he's sporting colors other than black and gold.

Last chance to take it back and admit that I was totally right and that this post is just completely off.

Last chance to take it back and admit that I was totally right and that this post is just completely off.

Not happening. We'll see who's correct in due time. Even if he is franchised he'll be traded IMO.

Not happening. We'll see who's correct in due time. Even if he is franchised he'll be traded IMO.

Well you've modified your position now; you were at "they're not franchising him" yesterday.

There's a chance they trade him, I agree on that. But it's 100 percent that they don't let him go in free agency this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back